PDA

View Full Version : Keybinding Issue II

Tyrnyx
12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
So. I used the new notEye and it's cool. However, I liked adom the way I'm used to it and switched it to ascii tile mode for a while. This worked but on my worthless netbook is runs significantly slower. Lag on the input. Etc. (I have slayed many an unneccessary cat.)

One very nice feature from notEye that I've gotten used to is shift+left/right moves up+left/right and control+left/right for down+left/right.

I recently downloaded the standard version. It runs much faster. I like that. Unfortunately, now I can't change the keybindings for Shift+left/right. Shift is not listed as one of the possible special characters listed in the adom.kbd file.

My question is: Is it implementable or is it not?

I can get down+left/right because control is recognized. So it half works. Grump.

Tyrnyx
12-04-2013, 04:09 PM
One ugly solution is to change alt-left and alt right as the upward movement. it would take some re-re-learning but it's a feasible option. But if I can sneak the shift-move that would be awesome. I'm finally used to it and can almost function at full capacity. almost.

jt
12-04-2013, 08:00 PM
My question is: Is it implementable or is it not?

This should be possible to detect. Which version are you using right now? Windows, DOS?

Edit: did a quick check: Windows, OSX and Amiga versions should be able to detect the shift-key easily. DOS and Linux versions probably require more work.

Tyrnyx
12-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I am using the Windows version. In the kbd file do I just change the input to shift-L? or is there a special character?

jt
12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
It does not work in the current version, but we could add this feature in the future. You probably should open an RFE for this. :)

Tyrnyx
12-05-2013, 01:01 PM
I've tried /shift and /S is space so that's out. It's not used in other commands so I can't deduce it that way. Essentially, I just need to know what to write the kbd file. Thanks. Adom makes Africa better.

Stingray1
12-05-2013, 01:09 PM
When you press the key-combo, does the game give you a message like "Unknown command 'something'". If it does you can try using the 'something'. I've previously used the 'n'ame command and then use the key-combo to see the characters come up. Just a thought.

anon123
12-05-2013, 03:51 PM
One very nice feature from notEye that I've gotten used to is shift+left/right moves up+left/right and control+left/right for down+left/right.

I don't play ADOM in my laptop because it doesn't have a numeric pad, but this sounds like a deal changer. Would very much like to see it in the ASCII version.

Tyrnyx
12-05-2013, 05:30 PM
It definitely makes the game usable. The walk commands in a diagonal direction are a little awkward but other than that it's pretty dang nice. Sad to see that it isn't in this version but eventually when the next free pre-release comes out...

So now the choice is super slow or being able to move in the upper diagonal directions. I'm currently leaning toward speed but... the seven and nine aren't horrible... ug. it's just no good.