PDA

View Full Version : SIck

zaneroland
12-06-2013, 12:32 AM
My character is sick from eating rotting meat and i dont know how to cure it... also how do you heal eating rations does not seem to work. i wait to heal but it takes an hour.

StViers
12-06-2013, 01:30 AM
I hear that certain tonics out there have a chance of helping you, as do some more natural remedies. Also, time heals all things (if you don't die first). Also, sickness drastically reduces your healing, even with candle starsign (if not stopping it outright)

JellySlayer
12-06-2013, 01:32 AM
There's a guy in the Village Dungeon who may be able to offer some services as well.

magpie
12-06-2013, 01:32 AM
My character is sick from eating rotting meat and i dont know how to cure it... also how do you heal eating rations does not seem to work. i wait to heal but it takes an hour.

Curaria mancox herbs will do it, as will potions of healing (not guaranteed, though), praying (if you've sacrificed enough), Jharod the Healer (if you can get to him), and eating faerie dragon corpses (assuming you can find one - they are exceedingly rare).

magpie
12-06-2013, 01:35 AM
The take-away from this for you should be, don't eat kobold corpses and don't eat rabid dog corpses, either. If you don't have a way to heal it on hand, sickness is one of the worst negative statuses you can get in ADOM.

Stingray1
12-06-2013, 06:21 AM
The guys try to be cryptic and you just blabber everything out.

zasvid
12-06-2013, 12:41 PM
It would certainly be interesting if you had a chance to get sick from rotten (cursed) corpses a la Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

magpie
12-06-2013, 02:45 PM
The guys try to be cryptic and you just blabber everything out.

So what? Who cares? The guy asked how he could cure Sickness, not for people to show 'how clever' they are by dancing around giving a direct answer.

Is it some big secret which must be protected at all costs from newbies? Is it the secret formula to Coca-Cola, or the design for Nikola Tesla's supposed death-ray gun?

PS: As it happens, when I wrote that and posted it, there were no responses to his questions. Everyone responded at once.

PPS: I think it's interesting that 'the guys' didn't take issue with my response, but you did - on their behalf. That's very interesting, don't you think? Why would you assume they need you to champion them? They're grown-ups - if they have a problem with what I wrote (but why would they???), don't you think they can take it up with me themselves?

Stingray1
12-06-2013, 03:20 PM
My apologies, I should have looked at the posting times.

No, I did not think they would need my assistance nor have a problem with your posts, that is the reason I posted.

The reason I do not like your response though, is because it is much more fun to figure things out in ADOM for yourself.

JellySlayer
12-06-2013, 05:08 PM
*Shrug* These forums are very spoiler-heavy. There isn't really a protocol for what constitutes a spoiler, what needs to be tagged, and what doesn't. It's unfortunate for new posters who maybe don't want such things, but it's pretty much unavoidable that if you ask a question here, a spoiler answer will result.

Maybe we need a "Newbie Questions" or a "Spoiler-free" forum for people who might need a little advice without having to worry about it.

Al-Khwarizmi
12-06-2013, 05:49 PM
don't eat rabid dog corpses, either.
Except while wearing a certain amulet, wink, wink.

_Ln_
12-06-2013, 08:11 PM
It's unfortunate for new posters who maybe don't want such things, but it's pretty much unavoidable that if you ask a question here, a spoiler answer will result.

Personally I can't imagine people who come to the game forum, ask about something and expect to see a cryptic answer.

For instance, you have to be a very intuitive person to understand that VD stands for Village Dungeon (or die in it and check the death message). If I were a newbie, your particular answer wouldn't have helped me one bit.
Someone once posted here that he couldn't find the Caverns of Chaos. I don't see it as something rare.

LFk
12-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Someone once posted here that he couldn't find the Caverns of Chaos. I don't see it as something rare.

I'd imagine this is actually common, or rather, a common problem whether or not it's asked. The first few times I played ADOM, I could not for the life of me work out what anything was, or what the main goal was. This was the 1990s though. Forums and such on the internet weren't quite so developed, and most of the net was on geocities. Answers were not easy to find :P

While I do agree with the spirit of non-spoilers, I believe in delivering the answer that the original post asked for, spoiling something if necessary, but no more than what is necessary. "Kobolds make you sick" and "the herb curaria mancox can cure your sickness" are fine.

Going off on a tangent to detail how to find, grow, and farm herbs, for example, is a spoiler i'd consider to be unnecessary.

Anyway, I think the thread did cover the myriad ways of curing sickness, as well as advising one to be aware that eating kobolds will induce sickness. If nothing else, find somewhere safe to wait it out :) Preferably in front of the food shop in Terinyo. Rations don't cure anything, but sickness can take a while and you don't want to starve to death waiting... or be forced to fight for food in your vulnerable state!

Stingray1
12-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Although someone comes to the game forum for assistance, I think one should still point them in the right direction.

Rather than give him/her a direct answer, rather inforrm them that ADOM is a game of self-fullfilment and they should seek the answer from within. That way they'll realize that hey I'm missing something here and at least give them the opportunity to not become a victim of spoilers. Spoiling their experience and growth.

If as a child I ask my parent for money and they always give, I would never have the need to become a self-sustaining individual. Give the newbies a chance, they aren't idiots.

Giving newbies more than they need is simply spoiling their chance to experience the game as was intended by the Creator.

grobblewobble
12-07-2013, 12:20 AM
they aren't idiots
So don't you think they would be capable of saying "no spoilers please" if they don't want spoilers? The guy came here and asked. He could have said something like "please point me in the right direction", but didn't. Don't you think he would have been smart enough to add such a phrase if that was what he wanted?

Newbies aren't kids and they don't need to be protected. If someone chooses to find out something about the game by asking here, reading a guidebook or watching a youtube "let's play", it's their own choice. It's not up to you to decide if someone else reads spoilers or not.

Stingray1
12-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Of course it isn't my choice what they decide to do. But it is my choice what I tell them. If they think, lol, what a dick. That is their choice too.

That does not change the fact that spoilers are bad for them.

Esoteric Rogue
12-07-2013, 03:34 AM
...also how do you heal eating rations does not seem to work. i wait to heal but it takes an hour.

I believe the answer you were looking for is two keystrokes-- w 5 --to rest in place.

(Edit: also praying is pretty quick.)

magpie
12-07-2013, 03:56 AM
How do you give an answer with spoiler tags? I can see a case for giving an indirect response for a person to check out, and then, underneath, giving a direct response in spoiler tags so they can check it out if they're still stuck.

StViers
12-07-2013, 04:00 AM
I think by typing spoilers in sqaure brackets, then ending with / closed brackets

EDIT Looks like I was right ;)

magpie
12-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Thank you!