PDA

View Full Version : Duelist using heavy armour in the early game?

magpie
12-07-2013, 04:39 AM
I've just started hitting 1.2.0 pre 20, and it's a lot of fun. Right now I'm playing a ratling duelist, and they have an awesome skillset, and are basically good fun all around.

In UD:2 I found an adamantium splint mail, which I've been using. However, I have found that it seems to be suppressing my class powers. However, right now I only have 2 class powers, so I consider the trade-off to be worth it (especially since I have a choice of using an adamantium long sword, a mithril rapier or a pick axe of mayhem) - for the moment. I am hoping for an elven chain mail or something else to drop, but for the moment I think the extra PV is serving me well.

What do you think?

StViers
12-07-2013, 06:42 AM
My survival rate with duelists went up greatly when I played them like fighters with an amazing skillset until lvl 12.

Stingray1
12-07-2013, 06:43 AM
You have to weigh your options. :p It's good to see you thinking.

grobblewobble
12-07-2013, 06:50 AM
I usually start to follow the restrictions when they hit level 12. At that point I feel the class powers start to become better than lucky armor finds like these.

magpie
12-07-2013, 09:13 AM
My survival rate with duelists went up greatly when I played them like fighters with an amazing skillset until lvl 12.

Oh god yes. Awareness, Dodge, Find Weakness, Healing ... ? And with good attribute scores? And with lucky early finds like these? (I also lucked out on a pool - no wish, but See Invis, Cold Resistance and Control Teleportation with no bad effects. Bring it, ogre mages!)

Blasphemous
12-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Nice early armor + shield. Since we're giving up on class power until they start to make a difference, we might as well go full blown normal melee char.
Although, I discovered that playing from the onset with respect to class powers teaches you how to ultimately better handle a duelist - running around unencumbered, in light armor and without a shield prepares you (sort of) for the duelist playstyle later in the game.

magpie
12-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Nice early armor + shield. Since we're giving up on class power until they start to make a difference, we might as well go full blown normal melee char.
Although, I discovered that playing from the onset with respect to class powers teaches you how to ultimately better handle a duelist - running around unencumbered, in light armor and without a shield prepares you (sort of) for the duelist playstyle later in the game.

I was lucky enough to find an elven chain mail, which I was then able to improve to 8 PV with a Scroll of Protection. (+3 PV from a single Scroll of Protection? I'm not gonna complain about that.)

I'm a hair away from hitting level 12, so I figure with my new armour, it's a good time to start playing like a Duelist.

grobblewobble
12-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I like getting the golden gladius, if you haven't found a better weapon yet it's a cool pick. Endgame worthy in the hands of a duelist.

magpie
12-07-2013, 10:43 AM
I like getting the golden gladius, if you haven't found a better weapon yet it's a cool pick. Endgame worthy in the hands of a duelist.

Currently wielding an adamantium long sword, and covered in mithril and adamantium gear ... and just hit level 12. Wow. 44 DV with no shield? I see why people have been saying Duelists are so good. :D

magpie
12-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Currently wielding an adamantium long sword, and covered in mithril and adamantium gear ... and just hit level 12. Wow. 44 DV with no shield? I see why people have been saying Duelists are so good. :D

And my first quest objective (doppelganger lord) AND Preserver from a D:12 mixed vault! Wow.

PS: But I got the sulphuric potion, even though I'm literate? Is that a bug?

PPS: Ah, I see, 'working as re-designed'.

magpie
12-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Just rolled through the Dwarven Graveyard like it wasn't even there, and on my way to plunder the Pyramid (even though Preserver is generally better than the Ankh, and the AMW will prove to be only situationally useful).

The only bugbear so far is that I would love a girdle of carrying to drop - having to keep unencumbered has forced me to make very extensive use of my stash to drop everything I'm not currently using.

A sword of sharpness drop would make my day, but the Golden Gladius (paired with Preserver) is proving to be a very good weapon for my Duelist to cut his way through all and sundry.

And oh- I finally got to Level 1 skill in bows! WOO-HOO! :D

grobblewobble
12-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Enjoy the ride! Duelists are a lot of fun.

In case you would like to get the platinum girdle, that should be relatively easy if you didn't commit any chaotic act yet. Since you got TCtrl from a pool..

magpie
12-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Well, I managed to replace the Golden Gladius with a rapier of the needle from crowning, so that's serving me very well now. One annoying roadblock, though: all my stuff has been un-IDed by a scroll, so now (not far off lvl 17) I might go and scum the ID for a while to pick up some items I could really do with before I clear out the Water Temple (I've cleared the exterior water snakes and grues) and proceed further.