PDA

View Full Version : Early wish knowing there's another.

Tyrnyx
12-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I recently rolled a Drakish Druid. He started with a [3,4] woodshield (!) and some [0,3] robes so a massive (for a druid) 9PV to start the game. UD first, as always, on level one there is a potion shop (nice) and UD5 or so ring shop. It has a RoDS in it! The very next level down I find my very own RoDS! I juke through the HMV, plow down to dwarftown, and bless the ring. So now I have a very early wish, and a guaranteed possibility of another one for a meager 15000, and the possibility of polypiling another one from a stack of 4 rings of acid resistance I saw and a potion of exchange.

The question is what do I wish with the adendum that I will most likely have another one in the nearish future. Usually I go for an amulet of life saving. But diving this early to khelly is Risky. So given that I can get another...

It should be noted that my learning, mana, and willpower are all 13 and my literacy and concentration are in the 60s. I cannot read the starting spellbook. I would normally wish for Find Weakness in this situation but given that I should be a caster and not a basher this seems superfluous... except that I cant read. So spellbooks of awesomeness won't do me much good either.

Do I go for a RDSM?

grobblewobble
12-07-2013, 03:06 PM
I'd go for eternium tower shields. Seven league boots or RDSM are good too. Maybe rings of regeneration.

anon123
12-07-2013, 04:51 PM
I'd go for eternium tower shields. Seven league boots or RDSM are good too. Maybe rings of regeneration.

All of these are good. I'd suggest rings of elemental mastery, but a RDSM will get you through the Tower, =Cold is guaranteed from the AMW, and you might get =Elec from the level 40 class power before reaching the BDC depending on your playstyle and how many vaults are generated.

Save the second wish for an amulet of life saving once the path is clear. Kelly's gifts are definitely worth it.

gut
12-07-2013, 05:30 PM
> and a guaranteed possibility of another one for a meager 15000

don't count on that price staying fixed

> and some [0,3] robes so a massive (for a druid) 9PV

talk about a guaranteed possibility! those are going to burn off within the hour

> I cannot read the starting spellbook

well there's yer problem! You are not a caster if you can't read lightning bolt,
you are a fighter/archer. wish for eternium tower shields, as rdsm will not be
a difference-maker for the tower, as you are a drake. just bring in some healing
and you'll be fine.

Soirana
12-07-2013, 06:04 PM
well there's yer problem! You are not a caster if you can't read lightning bolt,

Well, all he need is to eat Oracle minced with heap of morgia and he will be okay caster.

Of course eternium shields are worth wishing only if you plan to wield to of them which goes well with recipe above.

Deathwind
12-08-2013, 04:58 AM
I'd say suits of red dragon scale mail but the shields are a great option, anything else doesn't seem like a good idea this early.

Tyrnyx
12-10-2013, 01:36 PM
So, heres the story. I had not one, two, three, but four (!) wishes before the tower. Found TWO RoDS just randomly - RDSM and SLB. I tried wishing for pairs of seven league boots and still only ended up with one. Did that get changed and if so why does the message "ONE shall be enough" not generated or did I just get really unlucky. Anyway, the third from the shop went to amulet of lifesaving. Saved khelly. The last was from going to darkforge and draining all the pools. After two doom removing trips and on the last pool I got it. Got rings of regen. I traded teleport control for a wish, -para, SeeI and -death, fair enough especially since I had the ring. I was born under the Raven so I helped out Blup. Druid so nothing dangerous down there. Got the trident. Did a bit of training with garth, drank a blessed learning potion, two PoGA and ate the oracle. Learning 25. Read my spell books I'd been stashing including teleport from khelly. Did the tower drinking only one PoEX. Threw a potion of corruption at the Wyrm and hit him once with the Trident. Cakewalk. Later, got random spells corruption so +8 Le on top of that. Got the RoHK and was ready to drive down to the catlord for the easiest Cat-ring ever. Was running pretty low on food (other corruption was thin and nimble) so I go to the Big Room. Wait. W5 doesn't really work well because neutral monsters keep throwing it off since I'm a druid. Hold down 5. Fire vortex blows up the stoma patch. NBD I'll just get some ratling food. Go to staircase and get surrounded by a bajillion spiders. No problem. Not really paying attention as I'm slaying spiders left and right... Screen goes black. Game over. Read the message to see how I died... Gorgon breath.

The RNG was really really on my side that game. So much it hurts to play new games. Now this isn't the first time I've died to Gorgon breathe, and I know it cant be dodged almost completely if you have your DV up but I just don't think insta-gib type things are good for the game. At least not on COC:6 even if the big level is a special case. Death ray casters are almost exclusively below D30 unless your digging up graves. Gorgons should be too IMHO. I know I'm just bitter because I wasn't paying attention as much as I should have but seriously. It was a painful loss.

JellySlayer
12-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Gorgons are not typically found in the Big Room, but monster strength does slowly creep up with character level. A level 50 PC will occasionally find molochs and doppelganger kings on D:1. If you were level... 18-20, say, I can imagine seeing a rare gorgon in Big Room.

grobblewobble
12-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Aww, that's awful luck.

Did that get changed and if so why does the message "ONE shall be enough" not generated or did I just get really unlucky.

Seven league boots were changed, but yes I think this is a bug, you should have gotten that message.

Tyrnyx
12-10-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm not exactly sure that the message wasn't generated. Just pretty sure. Someone will have to confirm.

Also, I was level 18 so. Yup. Gorgons. Grr.

On the druid's quest a slug also dropped a corps so I was almost completely immune to everything and would be by level 40 even without crowning given that I had RDSM and the Trident. Bitterness.

gut
12-10-2013, 11:51 PM
> four (!) wishes before the tower

> RDSM

> tried wishing for pairs of seven league boots

> third from the shop went to amulet of lifesaving

> on the last pool I got it. Got rings of regen

good thing you didn't waste any of those wishes on eternium tower shields