PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play the New ADOM!

Silfir
12-11-2013, 03:13 AM
There we go again! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgefJYVJXXg&feature=youtu.be)

I've switched to using Open Broadcaster Software - much more comfortable - and obviously I've switched to prerelease 20. Of course, after my vigorous insistence that elementalists are just fine the way they are, I get put on the spot. I refuse to adopt any common sense - I'm not that keen on playing for 30 episodes again - and start out with Treasure Hunter and a UD run. Watch me toil!

Stingray1
12-11-2013, 06:47 AM
This should be entertaining, thanks.

GordonOverkill
12-11-2013, 08:00 AM
That's some amazing news!
Already watched the first episode... from the very first fight on it was bloody exciting! I think I would not have dared to enter the small cave/unremarkable dungeon with a character as fragile as Cheryl, but fame and glory will be hers if she should succeed!
Might have been beneficial if that goblin rockthrower sayed alive a little longer?

_Ln_
12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
"Normally I just kick back and let the fate decide. But today I'm going to show you something else!" -- proceeds to choose everything randomly. Silfir, you're the best :D

Orfeni
12-11-2013, 09:49 AM
"Cursed ring of being shit!" :D You sir made my day!

Silfir
12-11-2013, 10:36 AM
"Normally I just kick back and let the fate decide. But today I'm going to show you something else!" -- proceeds to choose everything randomly. Silfir, you're the best :D

Yeah, I'm still permanently slightly confused. What I meant is that I wanted to give a quick introduction to the new races and classes, but I always had the intention to randomize both. I was toying with jumping in as a ratling duelist, but a) Gordon did that already if I'm not mistaken and b) it would have meant that I can't really play with spells and ranged combat in the new interface. Playing an elementalist - hurthling, to boot - is a pretty sweet deal; right from the start I get to use everything.

jt
12-11-2013, 09:42 PM
@Silfir: I recommend that you delete the adom.cfg and adom.kbd files because you are missing some of the new features otherwise (like colored messages, blood splatters, "repeat last command" key, etc.). You should backup the files first if you have made any changes yourself.

If you are playing the Windows version, they are now located in the "Documents\ADOM\adom_dat" directory.

Silfir
12-12-2013, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, I'm liking the gore already. Feels murdery good.

Hadn't activated it in time for part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_0pxVU4sKE&feature=youtu.be) though. Some weirdness going on with missiles; the minimap seems to snap back to where the monsters is you just shot at in some unfortunate cases. I also think rocks, especially individual ones, are too hard to distinguish from the dungeon floors; though I do realize that's non-trivial to fix.

Silfir
12-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Part three is upon us (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PdX8ZOj3oA&feature=youtu.be).

_Ln_
12-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Lol, lots of shades of gray.

It's like my workplace where we have a non-stop "who makes the worst joke" competition and loudly congratulate each other on getting close to it. I'd say you'd have a good shot at it. :D

grobblewobble
12-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Awesome, bring the popcorn!

I also think rocks, especially individual ones, are too hard to distinguish from the dungeon floors; though I do realize that's non-trivial to fix.
Giving rocks a slightly different color would do the trick?

About the clay, in case you want to know,
you were right, it's for white necromancy

Silfir
12-13-2013, 11:52 PM
I was about as successful at evading knowledge about the new ADOM as one might expect of a regular poster to the official forum with a penchant for sticking their sizable nose into everything. Which is to say, not much at all. As such, I am blessed with staggering amounts of half-knowledge, just as likely to go horribly wrong based on it as anything else. Which, as far as your prospects for entertainment goes, actually isn't too bad.

Moeba
12-16-2013, 09:07 AM
You're being promoted by the creator, congrats!! :)
Now I have to see them videos

Silfir
12-19-2013, 04:05 PM
It's not over yet! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1MrOzMOdGo&feature=youtu.be)

I was a little tired when I started this. Haven't checked how bad the mumbling is, to be honest.

Maybe I have to get back to my old sleeping rhythm - the last couple of days it resembled that of a civilized human being, and apparently I have to record at midnight or later to be sure that I'm not going to get interrupted. That, or learn how to edit video like someone who is actually competent.

LFk
12-19-2013, 11:18 PM
I have to admit that I enjoy your monologue far more when things are going poorly.

"I hope that's not a cursed ring of damage or .... (probably realizing that's the only ring that has a negative curse effect, save for doom or weakness) ... cursed ring of being shit..."
These gems usually happen when it's not going perfectly.

In that vein, i'd love to see a let's play with a PC that's more graded to the middle-range. Assassins and Rangers come to mind. Mindcrafters and Merchants on the weaker end. Maybe a Chaos Knight? The gameplay isn't what I'm watching for anyway, it's definitely the (permanently slightly confused) monologue.
Elementalists give many solutions, which I suppose is good for a newer player viewing to see the variety, and Barbarians are just devastating. Your audience prefers to see you struggle!

TDau
12-20-2013, 04:49 AM
"My feet disappeared! No, they are partially hidden in the grass. That's so awesooome!"
"If that's another mixed vault, I am gonna scream like a little girl... not that there's anything wrong with screaming like a little girl."
Funny as always; I still remember the rants of good old Hocus Pocus about that silly healer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaPryXpwO8g#t=443). We should really RFE for this game to ship with a Silfir commenter included :-)

BTW, I think I never thanked you for those Hocus Pocus videos; I hadn't even joined these forums when you completed the series. Apart from the entertainment, they taught me a lot of things and helped me become a better player.

GordonOverkill
12-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Elementalists give many solutions, which I suppose is good for a newer player viewing to see the variety, and Barbarians are just devastating. Your audience prefers to see you struggle!

Yeah, they are cool, aren't they? Definitly not just "shitty Wizards" ;-)

Silfir
12-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Well, that's wonderful to hear on all fronts to be sure. Thanks friends :)

I'm a slave to the roll of the dice. If there is ever a third Let's Play (not that likely) I might just put it to a vote or something. I really don't like the idea of playing a chaos knight. Whoops, shouldn't have written that, now I know the result of the vote.

LFk
12-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah, they are cool, aren't they? Definitly not just "shitty Wizards" ;-)

Hah, I still maintain that they are :)

If indeed there is one place they excel over Wizards, it is the earliest of the early game of course, where Wizards are not guaranteed to have access to 3 different offensive spells from the get go. Beyond level 10 though? Eh. I did mention in that previous thread that reworking classes does fall under "not so important" right now, and that the class is certainly functional, not to mention powerful (as most casters are). Power was never the issue.

I agree that an ultra would not necessarily make for a good let's play. There are parts of the game that are just tedious. I have a PC on the public server that has Khelly saved, a first-kill farmer, and the Crown in my possession, but I'm about to give up on the ultra after 90 in-game days of wandering the wilderness doomed trying to get a boar skull to drop. I can only imagine the let's play commentary. "Nothing's happening.... Nothing's happening.... Nothing's happening.... here's a boar! No skull. ... Nothing's happening..."

I really don't like the idea of playing a chaos knight. Whoops, shouldn't have written that, now I know the result of the vote.

Translation: I would love to play a Chaos Knight.

Silfir
12-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Reverse reverse reverse psychology?

grobblewobble
12-20-2013, 04:51 PM
I fully support your plans to do another let's play with a chaos knight in the future, Silfir! That will be great to watch!

Whippy
12-20-2013, 07:10 PM
I've heard about and seen the new CK class on the class selection screen... Sorry for completely going off topic in your Thread Silfir but whats the difference between a CK and other classes. Are they incredibly difficult?

LFk
12-20-2013, 07:25 PM
They can be.

You'll quickly notice upon starting a Chaos Knight game that you are widely regarded as the 'bad guy', and that your appearance in the Drakalor Chain is seen as ... less than welcome.

You can imagine the implications - many quests are out of the question, many resources and much of the assistance/cooperation you previously took for granted when playing as any other PC has vanished so long as you stay on your wicked path.

The PC itself is actually quite powerful, but corrupted.

Whippy
12-20-2013, 07:32 PM
So he's the type of guy that would help the evil in the Drakalor Chain instead of being a hero?

GordonOverkill
12-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Hah, I still maintain that they are :)

If indeed there is one place they excel over Wizards, it is the earliest of the early game of course, where Wizards are not guaranteed to have access to 3 different offensive spells from the get go. Beyond level 10 though? Eh. I did mention in that previous thread that reworking classes does fall under "not so important" right now, and that the class is certainly functional, not to mention powerful (as most casters are). Power was never the issue.

Maybe your opinion will change after I won tomorrow's Ancardian Fighting Championship with (at least) one of the two Elementalists that I rolled!

LFk
12-20-2013, 08:02 PM
So he's the type of guy that would help the evil in the Drakalor Chain instead of being a hero?

Yes indeed. On that topic, there's a very interesting game ending that you can achieve with the Chaos Knight, and it's the only class in the game that can achieve it. Kind of the opposite of an ultra ending, if you ask me :)

Maybe your opinion will change after I won tomorrow's Ancardian Fighting Championship with (at least) one of the two Elementalists that I rolled!

Haha is that the arena thing? You know, Elementalist is a good roll for that kind of challenge. I don't imagine books to be very plentiful.

GordonOverkill
12-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Haha is that the arena thing? You know, Elementalist is a good roll for that kind of challenge. I don't imagine books to be very plentiful.

It is indeed! And especially for my Ratling Elementalist I have already thought of a strategy that will hopefully enable me to beat even very dangerous opponents :-D I am so looking forward to see if it works as planned!
I think the duelist will be very tough to play... no skills for missiles or spells, not lvl 12 class powers... that's gonna be a true challange!

Silfir
12-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Is this the kind of trouble fame has wrought upon me? I am planning a third playthrough now (I am definitely not), and one playing the one class I have announced I really wouldn't like playing as (which is why I assumed everyone would vote for me to play it, because you all love to see me suffer apparently)?

I genuinely don't want to play a chaos knight. In all the numerous RPGs that give you the option of playing as a bad guy, I have never, ever seen the appeal of playing as the bad guy. Of the victories I have had in ADOM, none of them have been as any flavor of chaotic alignment. My only Iji (http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php) playthrough was a pacifist run. I am a wimpy goody-two-shoes if there ever was one.

GordonOverkill
12-21-2013, 10:56 PM

They are indeed! Both my Elementalists won their challanges and in the thread I read about yet another Elementalist who also won... these guys are absolute beasts for this kind of challange! :-)

GordonOverkill
12-21-2013, 11:20 PM
e: deleted

LFk
12-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Is this the kind of trouble fame has wrought upon me? I am planning a third playthrough now (I am definitely not), and one playing the one class I have announced I really wouldn't like playing as (which is why I assumed everyone would vote for me to play it, because you all love to see me suffer apparently)?

I genuinely don't want to play a chaos knight. In all the numerous RPGs that give you the option of playing as a bad guy, I have never, ever seen the appeal of playing as the bad guy. Of the victories I have had in ADOM, none of them have been as any flavor of chaotic alignment. My only Iji (http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php) playthrough was a pacifist run. I am a wimpy goody-two-shoes if there ever was one.

I have never finished an ADOM game aligned chaotic, never mind C from start to end.
Both ultras I have finished are ULE, one with a Paladin (the epitome of a 'good' hero).
My most common regular gate closures are Neutral, mostly because of the Dwarven Mystic, and it just tumbles over.

Some additional fun, Lawful facts:
- I have never bypassed the Eternal Guardian in a violent manner, though I'm aware of how to both do it with a fast teleport as well as abuse him for experience.
- I have never opened the Dwarven Portal in any manner other than the portal quest.
- I have never in my near 20 years playing ADOM, triggered the powers of a Chaos Orb. The most common and useful one (Water Orb), I replace with piety for emergencies.

It isn't just you. Still, moving outside your comfort zone? Could be fun?
I've been tempted to try my only OCG ever with a Chaos Knight.
Would definitely be a lot of firsts for me.

Al-Khwarizmi
12-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Same here, except for the water orb, and reluctantly.

GordonOverkill
08-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Gonna resurrect this thread for this particular reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NEpS_o0YDU

_Ln_
08-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Gonna resurrect this thread for this particular reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NEpS_o0YDU

I think you've just spoiled Silfir's glorious witty post about making another video and coming back.

GordonOverkill
08-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Well... then... let's just pretend I said nothing.

_Ln_
08-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Well... then... let's just pretend I said nothing.

Wait, actually I spoiled as you've posted just a link without a caption. Dammit!

EDIT: Please, don't hit me, Silfir, hit Gordon! :/

Silfir
08-20-2014, 02:28 PM
WITTY

Actually, I forgot I even had this thread, so this is just as well!

divij
10-18-2014, 01:58 PM
ok how did i miss this thread? neways another BUMP to this thread...hopefully we get to see more of cheryl, the hurthling elementalist rock ancardia in the not too distant future....

Silfir
10-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Public Service Announcement: Use Avidemux, not Windows Movie Maker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPLgDDD9u5k&feature=youtu.be

In other news, I've started another Let's Play of the strategy game known as Xenonauts, mostly so I don't keep restarting it. My channel is going to be a busy place at least for the next couple of days!

divij
10-26-2014, 05:46 AM
ahhh....nice to see you back in action!! Will follow your progress!

_Ln_
10-26-2014, 03:53 PM
I've always thought that bone from Thrundarr is just a clue for how to purify the grave.

Silfir
10-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Why give me a hopelessly convoluted clues? Why not just tell me? Am I not doing a job the dwarves should have done long ago? What do they gain from withholding information from me?

At any rate, here's the new episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQWOXTJxQpI&feature=youtu.be

Silfir
01-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Arise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIoJd4x1PU8

Is there an ETA on the official release of ADOM as well as ADOM Deluxe? I do want to wrap up Cheryl's run before that, whether it ends in a victory or premature death. (Annoyingly she's at a power level where the only way to lose is a FUBAR, so that might take a while.)

GordonOverkill
01-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Yyyyes! Gonna watch that one tonight!

Silfir
01-30-2015, 08:57 AM
PSA of the day: Beware Stone Oozes!

New episode is uploading and can be found below once done. WILL THERE BE MORE WHO KNOWS

http://youtu.be/q0IDwfPxaeQ

divij
01-30-2015, 10:03 AM
i hope thats a random PSA you wanna give and is in no way related to the game !!! will watch the episode asa i reach home cause i know how much you ppl want my expert inputs :p

divij
01-30-2015, 12:10 PM
errrr....this video is private...unprivate it RIGHT NOW :)

Silfir
01-30-2015, 12:17 PM
I forgot to hit publish. Should be fine now!

I for one don't think there's ever a wrong time to tell people to Beware Stone Oozes. That's all I'm going to say.

Silfir
02-10-2015, 03:10 PM
I assume most of you have gotten around to subscribing to me on Youtube or something of that nature, which has left this thread kind of stranded - but just to be safe: I'm up to part 12 now and everything's going swimmingly!

GordonOverkill
02-10-2015, 04:07 PM
You're doing an excellent job so far and I'm enjoying the series alot! Looks like you'll probably be able to keep your state clean :-)