PDA

View Full Version : 2013 arena challenge time

gut
12-12-2013, 03:30 AM
On previous arena challenge games, we rolled random characters and also chose some. This time I think I should pre-generate a few and see how we each handle the same characters in different ways.

Some other ideas:

Have the PC start out standing by dak, with all ratling dealers dead and the level pacified. This would simplify the whole 'sprint to the arena' part, which was cumbersome and unwanted in the first place. Also would eliminate any problems associated with random mobs interfering with healing, which is also undesirable imo.

EDIT: scratch this idea, as the old cheat method I knew no longer seems to work. I will look for another convenient one. -_-
Lay out a few items on the floor and allow the player to select only 1 (or such) to use. This would allow for variety in how the characters play. Like a wizard can choose only 1 offensive book and 1 defensive? A barbarian can choose between a healing potion or a more powerful weapon? Archers could choose the more powerful arrows/quarrels or more abundant rocks?

We should somehow celebrate the new races/classes. Maybe restrict the available race/classes to the new ones?

So do these ideas sound good? What other ideas can we include? I'll try to get something interesting going asap, as I want to free up the period leading up to Christmas for other challenges.

Blasphemous
12-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Sounds like fun. What PC level are we talking about? 1?

GordonOverkill
12-12-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm definitely in for the challenge! Still I must say that I really liked the rush to the arena and preparation of the characters during last years challenge, so I would not complain if that would be part of this year's tournament again.

grobblewobble
12-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Sounds a lot of fun. I like the "pick your item" idea.

We should somehow celebrate the new races/classes. Maybe restrict the available race/classes to the new ones?
How about pregenerating 4 characters that are each a combination new race / old class or new class / old race?

Singbird
12-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Could you explain how this challenge works?

JellySlayer
12-12-2013, 05:10 PM
In the original challenge, you had to start a (random, I think) character, travel directly to the Arena, then, as soon as you arrived, immediately begin attempting fights. Winning the challenge required clearing all 20 regular fights plus the ~10 bonus fights until they run out of monsters.

There may have been some specific rules about the maximum number of turns that could elapse before arriving, or that you could reroll if you go eaten by jackals in the wilderness or whatever, but that's the gist of it.

gut
12-12-2013, 10:31 PM
hmm, one other thing to take into consideration. Did they nerf the name-the-invisible-monster bug?

If so, we should really try to think of some way to deal with li-ho(a)n-kay. It is so unfair to draw the ogre mage.

JellySlayer
12-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Yes, name the invis is fixed (and, I think similar things like giving items may also be?).

If we're all using the same PCs, it might make sense just to give them a see invisible to start with. Fighting the ogre is still tough with it at the level we're dealing with, especially compared to the other bosses.

gut
12-13-2013, 03:31 AM
how about a starting wand of wishing? We could put rules about when and where it could be used, and for what.
This would ensure that players could only pick one item and also (if it has 2 charges) give a way of leveling the fight with li.

Al-Khwarizmi
12-13-2013, 12:21 PM
How about just giving the characters the AMW? It gives cold resistance and see invisible.

If you think it's OP, we could only allow it for the fight with Li-Hon-Kay.

Soirana
12-13-2013, 12:28 PM
how about a starting wand of wishing? We could put rules about when and where it could be used, and for what.
This would ensure that players could only pick one item and also (if it has 2 charges) give a way of leveling the fight with li.

Does rules mean banshee+bee wax dissalowed? that would be total fun killer:confused:

_Ln_
12-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Does rules mean banshee+bee wax dissalowed? that would be total fun killer:confused:

Is Dak immune to wail?

grobblewobble
12-13-2013, 02:16 PM
The way I understand it, the idea is to allow only a small set of wishes.

I would just put the allowed items on the floor instead, to prevent confusion like this. Giving each character a ring of see invisible should be enough to level the fight with LiHonKay, with minimal impact on other fights.

gut
12-13-2013, 11:32 PM
I am not pavel! There is no hacking program for p20, so I'm going to have to use cheat engine or such to find the offsets. I'll be lucky to put one item in the inventory. I do love the idea of the AMW instead of the WoW; that would be perfect. It would be death to not be wearing it for the start of the 20th fight and have to put it on once you see you drew Li. It should be OK to allow it for the 20th fight period. Now to just try to do it.

EDIT: I think the AMW might be more difficult than simple rings... I might just give see invis and or -cold.

Grey
12-14-2013, 02:28 AM
I can't understand why you would want to make a challenge less difficult :-/ We can just fight the ogre magus, that's fine. And screw this wishes and free items malarky!

4 characters, for each race/class combo of the new races and classes. Get as far in the fights with the as you can without doing anything else.

Might it be unfair? Of course. Does it matter? Hell no.

grobblewobble
12-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Yeah Grey's got a point, that would keep it clean and simple. It will be luck of the draw in any case, ogre magus or not. After the 20th fight anything can happen.

Either way, can't wait for this to start!

gut
12-14-2013, 04:59 PM
grey makes a great point

gut
12-14-2013, 06:02 PM
The Ancardian Fighting Championship III

The Goal
Become the undisputed champion of the arena.

Proposed Rules

- Use adom version p20
- Roll each of the following: mist elf duelist, ratling duelist
- You may not use the question system on character startup, but you may chose star sign, talents, etc... as you like.
- Sprint across the wilderness to the arena and begin fighting.
- You may stop at only Terinyo, and only for food.
- If you encounter a wilderness fight, you must try to escape.
- If you can't evade a wilderness encounter, you ARE allowed kill the monsters for xp and/or food.
-Mercy rule: If your PC dies prior to reaching the Arena, you may reroll once.
- You must initiate your first arena battle within ~2000 turns.
- You must initiate your first arena battle before reaching exp. level 10
- You must initiate your first arena battle before day 10.
- You may heal as long as you like between rounds.
- You may use the ratling traders for food and kill them if you like.
- You may not leave the arena level.
- You may not win fights via teleportation, though teleporting within the arena is OK.
- You should post in this thread your Gladius opponents, your title defense count, and causes of death.
- The suckers who draw Lin Hon Kay are straight up getting screwed.

You do not have to play on Saturday, Dec. 21 or on the server, but I hope you do.

Stingray1
12-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Yeah, this was great fun last time. Naked mist elf CK ftw.

Hmm, how do we fight in the arena as CKs?

Blasphemous
12-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Yeah that's the problem, Dak doesn't want to let me fight, he just keeps repeating "Now face me, ye bastard!".
What if I change alignment? Does it factor in?

gut
12-14-2013, 11:15 PM
wait, chaos knights can't fight in the arena? blahhhh

will this year just be duelist challenge?

grobblewobble
12-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Alternative idea:
1 random race duelist
1 random class mist elf (reroll if chaos knight)
1 random class ratling (reroll if chaos knight)

GordonOverkill
12-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Thumbs up for grobblewobble's idea! More randomness, more ChAoS, more fun!!!

Mobius
12-16-2013, 05:45 AM
Just did a tryout, Got my MistyElf past Sparikust minataur, and played the challenge roulette.
Managed to kill about 15 things (water demon, doppleganger king, ratling warlord) until was slain by a Dorn Beast.

Fun mini-game! Finding an alter helped, because my piety enabled me to pray three times.