PDA

View Full Version : Monsters resisting Duelist glove slap?

magpie
12-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I just managed to raise my Strength a whole bunch (and took Porter) with my Ratling Duelist, so now my class powers are working again after my ID scumming session. Now I'm level 19 or 20.

But my glove slap seems to be being resisted by everything I try it on, even lowly kobolds and orcs ('The <foo> is not impressed.)! What is wrong? Is glove slapping just completely worthless, or are there factors affecting it which I'm not taking into account?

Stingray1
12-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Just some thoughts: Are you wearing armour that weigh 250s(IIRC) or less, only one one-handed weapon and no shield? If so, what is your Charisma?

grobblewobble
12-16-2013, 10:39 PM
No idea what factors are used to calculate success rate, all I know is that glove slapping has been quite useful to me, but sometimes took a few tries..

magpie
12-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Just some thoughts: Are you wearing armour that weigh 250s(IIRC) or less, only one one-handed weapon and no shield? If so, what is your Charisma?

I'm using some [+2, +8] elven chain mail and single wielding the Rapier of the Needle. My charisma is 15, after drinking a number of potions which have permanently raised it.

What is so puzzling about this is, when I did it at level 18, it worked basically every time. Now, it's failing to work every time.

No idea what factors are used to calculate success rate, all I know is that glove slapping has been quite useful to me, but sometimes took a few tries..

Right. So it's like the Scare Monster spell - useful, but not always immediately so. Good thing I have a lot of sets of gloves on me.

(Thanks for your input, by the way.)

magpie
12-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Wow. It didn't even matter. The ToEF went down like a house of cards in a hurricane. Didn't even have to heal myself once! God, I love Preserver. Even the ACW only needed two potions of poison and a cursed potion of invisibility to fall rather easily to the trusty Rapier of the Needle (although I did pick up my first corruption - sweating blood, which really isn't too bad at all. +5 Speed for the loss of some of two garbage stats is a nice deal.)

And I ended up getting a potion of cure corruption from the druid for the ACW corpse, too!

With all this good luck, I decided to hit the Arena for some extra spending money - drew a bunch of easy opponents, and then a Ghost King, which didn't manage to hit me (thank goodness, says my short-lived Ratling), but the experience convinced me to stop being so stupid and to just get on with it.

Time to dive deeper into the CoC?

(PS: grobble, you were right - sometimes it takes a few tries.)

Stingray1
12-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Nice, you go man. Don't die in the lategame now. :p

magpie
12-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Nice, you go man. Don't die in the lategame now. :p

LOL. Thanks, mate. But from what I've seen, the late game is a lot less 'spiky' now - the damage and threat is more predictable. Thankfully, I have managed to not kill too many cats - maybe 2 or 3, which is bad enough, but not insurmountable.

magpie
12-17-2013, 01:50 PM
LOL. Thanks, mate. But from what I've seen, the late game is a lot less 'spiky' now - the damage and threat is more predictable. Thankfully, I have managed to not kill too many cats - maybe 2 or 3, which is bad enough, but not insurmountable.

Cat Lord down! And worth 250000 xp, which was good enough for level 23. He kept running away, though, which was annoying. Also picked up another corruption (legs turned into stilts), which is pretty good even despite the PV hit - this character is relying on his DV of 89 anyway.

(PS: wow, scrolls of defence and protection have gotten a huge improvement in recent versions. 2 scrolls of defence and 1 of protection have been enough to increase an elven chain mail to [+5 +8], and this armour has served me well for most of the game.)

PPS: Air Temple down! The worst part about this place has always been the massive equipment destruction, although this time I managed to remember to leave my corruption removal outside the zap zone.

Stingray1
12-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Nicer. Currently stilts is the best corruption in the game after astral planes of course. On a duelist it is something out of this world or even Ancardia.

GordonOverkill
12-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Nice, go for it, Magpie!

Deathwind
12-17-2013, 02:22 PM
PPS: Air Temple down! The worst part about this place has always been the massive equipment destruction, although this time I managed to remember to leave my corruption removal outside the zap zone.

Am I the only one that has never lost anything in there?

GordonOverkill
12-17-2013, 02:37 PM
In the end it's a matter of preparation... if you are well prepared, you are quite save, but still just recently I lost a char's seven league boots in the air temple because I hoped to be able to rush through it without big inventory management issues.

magpie
12-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Earth Temple down. Phew. Those stone grues can be a menace, can't they?

The good news is, I got the corpse to the druid. The bad news is, I need to restock on holy water and potions of booze. So now might be a good time to save my game and get some sleep, to prevent doing something really stupid. This character can easily go all the way - I just need to be prepared and not do anything stupid. Basically, I need to prepare for:

1: the Mana Temple. I've got everything I need for that.
2: D:48. Plenty of crap to throw. Unfortunately, my potion of uselessness was smashed in the Air Temple; I forgot to leave it outside the zap zone. :( Still, at this stage, I don't think it will matter. (I've always gotten crap from here anyway.)
3: D:50. Should be okay here. Just need to not do something stupid. Any hints? :D

The thrilling conclusion to Magpie the Ratling Duelist coming soon, one way or the other, I promise! Stay tuned.

GordonOverkill
12-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Best decision :-) Nothing more anoying than messing up such a promising game because of impatience!

grobblewobble
12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
3: D:50. Should be okay here. Just need to not do something stupid. Any hints? :D
Watch out for the ghost lords, remember they can't see invisible. And enjoy chopping things to bits. ;) Level 50 is where a duelist shines.

magpie
12-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Watch out for the ghost lords, remember they can't see invisible. And enjoy chopping things to bits. ;) Level 50 is where a duelist shines.

Luckily, I have a cloak of invisibility in my backpack. :D

They shine on D:50? This duelist has been carving it up all the way through the game. Finding Preserver randomly was a massive stroke of luck, granted, but even without it I think this game would have been pretty smooth running.

Is it true ratlings are even more short-lived than orcs and trolls??? :confused:

I have been freaking out every time I have seen any ghost in this game (let along the ghost king I drew as an Arena opponent before I decided to stop taking un-necessary risks). Luckily, they have not been able to defeat my extreme DV and good PV to get any aging hits in. I have one potion of longevity in my pack - I am waiting to get to an altar to bless some water, bless the potion and slam it down. Or maybe it'd be a good idea to keep it to save myself from a one-shot aging death?

magpie
12-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Luckily, I have a cloak of invisibility in my backpack. :D

They shine on D:50? This duelist has been carving it up all the way through the game. Finding Preserver randomly was a massive stroke of luck, granted, but even without it I think this game would have been pretty smooth running.

Is it true ratlings are even more short-lived than orcs and trolls??? :confused:

I have been freaking out every time I have seen any ghost in this game (let along the ghost king I drew as an Arena opponent before I decided to stop taking un-necessary risks). Luckily, they have not been able to defeat my extreme DV and good PV to get any aging hits in. I have one potion of longevity in my pack - I am waiting to get to an altar to bless some water, bless the potion and slam it down. Or maybe it'd be a good idea to keep it to save myself from a one-shot aging death?

Killed by a balor on D:50. :rolleyes: