PDA

View Full Version : Sats?

Superteeth
01-18-2014, 12:02 AM
Hello everyone. I had an unimportant question about something that I noticed about ADOM years ago. What are goblins (and the various types of goblins) referring to when they say things like "Sow me da sats!", "Wo is der sats?", and "Me wants da sats!"? What on Earth does the word "sats" mean? Thanks in advance.

Cactus
01-18-2014, 12:08 AM
Hello everyone. I had an unimportant question about something that I noticed about ADOM years ago. What are goblins (and the various types of goblins) referring to when they say things like "Sow me da sats!", "Wo is der sats?", and "Me wants da sats!"? What on Earth does the word "sats" mean? Thanks in advance.

The german word "Schatz" means treasure. In the german translations of Tolkien's work Gollum uses "Mein Schatzzzzz" for "My Preciousssssssss" when he refers to the ring.

:)

Superteeth
01-18-2014, 12:15 AM
That made more sense than I thought it would. Here I was thinking it was complete nonsense. Thomas Biskup sneaked in a lot of the German language in this game, didn't he? Although it would have made a lot more sense if the spelling was correct. Thanks for the clarification.

Cactus
01-18-2014, 12:26 AM
Yes, there is so much more.

This one for example was a book I really loved as a kid:

Superteeth
01-18-2014, 02:24 AM
I knew Hotzenplotz sounded like a German name. So does Kranf Niest. I think I read somewhere that one of the un-identified scroll names was also a German word.

Nobbse
01-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Although it would have made a lot more sense if the spelling was correct. Tongue-in-cheek-Biskup wanted the term "Schatz" to be sounding like it was uttered by a lisping goblin with ssssuperteesssss ;) (no joke, I really think so! )

Nobbse
01-18-2014, 01:52 PM
just hade a nosthalgia look at this thread a year ago:

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/12343-the-Father-of-Hotzenplotz-is-dead

*Sigh*

meekrab
01-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Tongue-in-cheek-Biskup wanted the term "Schatz" to be sounding like it was uttered by a lisping goblin with ssssuperteesssss ;) (no joke, I really think so! )
Yeah, I always imagine goblins having trouble enunciating the common tongue of whatever realm they're in.

Dogbreath
01-20-2014, 08:24 PM
So does Kranf Niest.

Curiously, it can be respelled as Frankenstein, the name of another mad doctor. :)

SirTheta
01-20-2014, 08:26 PM
well, Frank Stein (almost by reversal of each); surely the intent though :)