PDA

View Full Version : Chaos knight gains Law alignment much more slowly?

Iridia
01-23-2014, 05:12 AM
I have been playing around with my chaos knight and some scrolls of balance, and I kept thinking I'd done the math wrong to convert him to Lawful, because it was taking a LOT longer than I thought it would, even if I adjusted for the character's level.

Eventually I just wrote some more scrolls of balance and did a little checking with giving gold to beggars.

Gold given in increments of a thousand, six times; should have given me about 120 stones of alignment. It gave me 12.

Similarly, low-level food seems not to work at all to raise alignment--a pile of ~200 cooked roaches, given to a beggar one by one, did not raise alignment even one stone.

I have also been wearing a blessed amulet of order, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't work, or works very slowly.

I noticed that saving Khlevaster while at Neutral did not change my alignment to Lawful, as it normally would.

My theory is that a chaos knight's alignment changes to Law at about a tenth of the rate as any other character, meaning you need to do ten times as many Lawful acts as any other character would.

Also, it seems that the weaker Lawful acts, such as giving a beggar a cooked roach, are probably rounded off. While a normal character might get a stone or two from that Lawful act, the chaos knight gets none because at that penalty he's getting about a tenth of a stone, and that doesn't count. That may also be the reason for the ineffectiveness of the amulet of order.

Has anybody else noticed this?

grobblewobble
01-23-2014, 05:17 AM
Yes it's very clear that alignment increases are much smaller for CKs. I don't know about the factor. Sacrificing coins one by one on a neutral altar, it takes over 200 coins to become NC. For a normal character it takes much less than 20. So it's probably not a fixed factor of 10.

That conversion to L+ was epic.

Iridia
01-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Epically repetitive, too! We need a redemption quest for chaos knights. I know they're almost a joke class, but playing one as the ultimate double agent has so much potential that you just can't pass it up.

Iridia
01-23-2014, 02:25 PM
OK, so once this guy wins or loses, I'm going to do some research. I've stashed a save file and I'll try different lawful acts and see what the real multiplier is.

Superteeth
01-23-2014, 06:08 PM
It also depends on level, as I am sure you know. When I was playing a level 50 drakeling chaos knight, I tried to convert back to neutral after accidentally dropping to chaotic. I tried several things, including whipping, healing hurt pets, giving gold to Ruun, giving stomafillia to beggars, sacrificing 1 gold piece at a time, etc. but the only thing that reliably changed alignment was sacrificing one gold piece at a time. This was at a rate of 1 gold to 1 stone (when it was a more like 1 gold to 5 stones not too long before that).

Whipping and healing did nothing, and donations and stomafillia seemed to be changing the stones very slowly (I think giving 1,000 gold to Ruun gave 1 stone, and 100 stomafillia to beggars gave 5 stones).

SirTheta
01-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Yes, alignment is scaled as (51 - xl) * 0.02 for positive change in alignment, so it is very hard to gain as you level up.

Iridia
01-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I did take that into account. It was still only about a tenth the gain expected by that formula.

grobblewobble
01-24-2014, 05:17 AM
OK, so once this guy wins or loses
It will be the first Lawful CK win, if you do. At least the first one that's been posted about. It'll be interesting to see if there is any special message.

Iridia
01-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Nope, no special message. Just the usual Lawful ultra ending message... which is pretty special anyhow, seeing as it's an ultra ending. And my first ultra ending, too. Going to celebrate now. :)