PDA

View Full Version : Question about D:50 and Weird Tome as well

Sad Death Generator
02-07-2014, 02:47 AM
When you get to D:50 can you turn the switches and kill time without background corruption, then switch it back on and go through? I want to enter the gate on Silvernight and this is my first time down there, so it would be peachy if I didn't turn into a Chaos wretch at the last opportunity.

I also have a question about the Weird Tome. I started my character (Troll Bard, drank from stone circle pool (cuz of the fortune referring to trolls drinking from the pool), 60 Le 60 Wi, enlarged cranium, etc.) so that I could do experiments with it, but i passed 2300 turns more than once without getting it from the librarian. I have 100 stealth, so that is not the problem. Does the tele intrinsic interfere? Has the time lapse changed? Anyway, D50 is the one I care about right now.

Sad Death Generator
02-07-2014, 02:52 AM
In addition, I'm a bit nervous about the corruption requirement (I'm going for N= Ultra). Is it always to corruption N? Is there a message indicating when I'm good to go?

Utnapishtim
02-07-2014, 04:54 AM
When you get to D:50 can you turn the switches and kill time without background corruption, then switch it back on and go through?
Yes you can. There's no background corruption while the gate is closed.

About the Weird Tome, there seems to be some cases where you just don't receive it regardless of how long you wait. This happened to me once out of the total four or five times that I have visited library. That was also the only time I was chaotic, although that's probably not the reason. My guess is that it was due to the blabbering mouth corruption I had when entering. I removed it while inside the library and then spent something like 5000 turns only waiting next to the librarian. Still no book. It might be that the check is done when first entering the library and after that it can't be helped. But as you see, I'm speculating. Perhaps we'll get an answer from someone who actually knows the exact criteria.

Carter
02-07-2014, 05:29 AM
my suspicion is the stealth check is done on entry, and cannot be reset. The babbling mouth voids stealth which would explain that.

Carter
02-07-2014, 05:30 AM
In addition, I'm a bit nervous about the corruption requirement (I'm going for N= Ultra). Is it always to corruption N? Is there a message indicating when I'm good to go?

you will need to be extremely corrupted. an UNE/UCG are by far the most difficult quests in the game as you would typically need 10+ blessed scrolls waiting to be read as soon as you enter the gate.

Your a troll bard i'd be worried about your level chances in any case.

JellySlayer
02-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Extremely corrupted is 16-17 corruptions, I believe, which is around corruption P or Q. The game will let you know.

Superteeth
02-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Apparently there is a chance that you can never get the weird tome, even if you meet all the requirements (I believe it may possibly be determined at the start of the game like your crowning gift and what levels greater vaults are on). I know I have already played 5 characters that have made it to the library, and two of them were not able to get the tome even though I had 100 stealth, stayed silent for 3,000+ turns, and did not have the babbling mouth corruption. I thought the chances were much smaller than that, but I probably just had very bad luck.

Sad Death Generator
02-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Update. I am hanging out on D: 51. It is day 224, in the morning. I need to get to 226 (silvernight)I'm already level 50 - I wanted to play with the weird tome so I took it to the limit. Even though the gate is closed, I'm still slowly getting corruptions. Im not carrying the helm or crown on me.... it it just because of the day? It is odd. Anyway, I'm up to 17 corruptions (Q) and I still haven't gotten a extremely corrupted message. Should I go through without the message or is there a chance I have to have more corruptions because of my race or class?

Superteeth
02-07-2014, 11:29 PM
You definitely don't need more corruptions, because death happens at 18 if I recall correctly.

Sad Death Generator
02-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Well, when I went through the gate the inhabitants of chaos said 'not one of us, not one of us' and tore me to shreds, so.....boooooooooooooo.
Moral of the story: wait for the message. stupid multi-tentacled horrors of unspeakable might.

Superteeth
02-08-2014, 12:35 AM
Well, when I went through the gate the inhabitants of chaos said 'not one of us, not one of us' and tore me to shreds, so.....boooooooooooooo.
Moral of the story: wait for the message. stupid multi-tentacled horrors of unspeakable might.

No way. Are you sure you had 17? I am sure one of the more experienced players can chime in on this, but I am fairly certain that 18 is the maximum. Even the wiki says that death occurs at 18 corruptions. Unless you miscounted, or the multi-tentacled horrors are testing for something else you had missing, something is not right. I am pretty sure you get the "extremely corrupted" message at 17 as well, if not before that.

anon123
02-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Update. I am hanging out on D: 51.

Huh? Did you aim your wand of destruction at D:50's floor? :D

SirTheta
02-08-2014, 03:34 AM
You don't die at 18 corruptions. As I recall, you get corruption 18 at 17800 corruption points and turn into purple j at 19000 corruption points.

Still, you should've been extremely corrupted. Were you wearing the chaos trinity? Were you at an extreme alignment (C-, N=, L+) and not a fallen champion?

Superteeth
02-08-2014, 04:38 AM
You don't die at 18 corruptions. As I recall, you get corruption 18 at 17800 corruption points and turn into purple j at 19000 corruption points.

Still, you should've been extremely corrupted. Were you wearing the chaos trinity? Were you at an extreme alignment (C-, N=, L+) and not a fallen champion?

I thought that might have been the case. However, I know that when I did a UNE, as soon as I got my 17th corruption after waiting in front of the gate I entered the gate just fine. I was pretty anxious, because I thought that you might die immediately upon gaining 18 corruptions, but I didn't know if 17 was enough to enter the gate. According to the guidebook, being torn apart by multi-tentacled horrors (might) mean that an aspiring chaos god failed the extreme alignment test. It is possible that it also happens if you fail the extreme alignment test while doing a UNE or ULE ending.

Stingray1
02-08-2014, 06:36 AM
As SNG said, the character failed because the character was not one of them. To translate, the character was not corrupted enough. You wait for the game to tell you this, not make assumptions.