PDA

View Full Version : Need some beginners help and advice.

blunk
02-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi.

I've tried to play this game and oh my I struggle (the first time was probably on a 486machine).
However now that I've read a lot, looking on vids and playing a little it's going better but a lot is a mystery (I don't charge everything headfirst).
As an old school pen and paper RPGer the concept is known to me but the game seems sooo unfair.

1. As I understand it I go coward all the time when not fighting, apart from defense I think it does reduce energy, what use is that?
I try to remeber switching to berserk when doing ranged combat and not fight unnessecary hth.
Also looking on all mobs to be sure what they are helps.
2. Alignment, it's easy to change alignment when completing quests, should I avoid that? What are the implications?
ex as neutral if you complete the puppy quest it's easy to go LN, I've seen players sell the corpse in BV instead of returning it, is that because of align?
3. Piety, while there is a lot of talking about crowning there's very little information on how much or what to sacrifice for piety.
Ex. High elf should sacrifice rings, but how many? does it matter what rings? cursed/blessed? should I sacrifice mobs, gold, gems instead? and again how much and at what level?
4. Where should I go?
This seems very important, for example going after the black druid looks a lot more appealing than going for the blacksmith but also some people start with the small/U cave because its so dangerous later on.
There's also, entering a cave or cave lvl to set it for a certain level. ex going down to last level of black druid quick and then clearing it from top down.
It's very easy to just plow down a cave and suddenly getting mowed by something way too hard.
A decent beginning looks like, a. grabbing the blanket in small cave b. killing the druid. c. getting the dog. What then, coc?
5. AutocursingMaybe a later problem but in one game I got the "Ring of fish", wich did not show as cursed after dropping on altar but autocursed when used.
How do you deal with that?

best regards
blunk

GordonOverkill
02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
1. As I understand it I go coward all the time when not fighting, apart from defense I think it does reduce energy, what use is that?

When you are heavily injured, you get a speed boost while in coward mode. Apart from that it's just practical for the case that you accidentally run into an enemy.

2. Alignment, it's easy to change alignment when completing quests, should I avoid that? What are the implications?
ex as neutral if you complete the puppy quest it's easy to go LN, I've seen players sell the corpse in BV instead of returning it, is that because of align?

If you change your allignment, you lose all your starting prayers. At least for me those starting prayers are essential for early game survival, so I would never change allignment without a means of building up piety afterwards (which is an altar of the new allignment). You can also use altars to change your allignment, but take care not to end as a sacrifice yourself.

3. Piety, while there is a lot of talking about crowning there's very little information on how much or what to sacrifice for piety.
Ex. High elf should sacrifice rings, but how many? does it matter what rings? cursed/blessed? should I sacrifice mobs, gold, gems instead? and again how much and at what level?

In my eyes the best things to sacrifice are gold or living monsters. If you want an early crowning, monsters are the best way to go. Just keep in mind that lawful and neutral gods don't accept certain sacrifices.

4. Where should I go?
This seems very important, for example going after the black druid looks a lot more appealing than going for the blacksmith but also some people start with the small/U cave because its so dangerous later on.
There's also, entering a cave or cave lvl to set it for a certain level. ex going down to last level of black druid quick and then clearing it from top down.
It's very easy to just plow down a cave and suddenly getting mowed by something way too hard.
A decent beginning looks like, a. grabbing the blanket in small cave b. killing the druid. c. getting the dog. What then, coc?

At first: If you meet a potentially fatal threat, just retreat and go somewhere else. Apart from that after DD and PC you should usually be very fit for the CoC. Actually the first CoC levels are a whole lot less dangerous than the DD bottom level, the ant level, the cavernous level or a mixed vault at the bottom of the PC.

5. AutocursingMaybe a later problem but in one game I got the "Ring of fish", wich did not show as cursed after dropping on altar but autocursed when used.
How do you deal with that?

Well, there are several ways to get rid of cursed items, the most obvious being holy water and scrolls of uncursing. Apart from that there are items which are more worth equip-id'ing than others. For example it might very well be worth equipping an item that has a good chance to give you a nice PV boost, while items with a lower chance of such a boost might be avoided untill you completely identify them.

Hope that helps a little and all the best for your adventures!

blunk
02-07-2014, 06:00 PM
If you change your allignment, you lose all your starting prayers. At least for me those starting prayers are essential for early game survival, so I would never change allignment without a means of building up piety afterwards (which is an altar of the new allignment). You can also use altars to change your allignment, but take care not to end as a sacrifice yourself.

In my eyes the best things to sacrifice are gold or living monsters. If you want an early crowning, monsters are the best way to go. Just keep in mind that lawful and neutral gods don't accept certain sacrifices.

Hope that helps a little and all the best for your adventures!

Thank you!
Starting prayers? so a new/low character can pray for things, what can you get?
Also does Piety reset everytime I switch alignment back and forth?
ex N+ --> LN --> N+

(seine letzte adom vids sind gut für mein duetch üben)

grobblewobble
02-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Basically, you have 3 piety ratings, one for each alignment. You start out with positive piety for the alignment your start with and no piety for the other two. When you switch alignment, you start worshipping another god who doesn't like you enough yet to listen to any prayers. I believe you also lose some piety with the god you abandon.

So if you go N+ => LN, your piety is reset to whatever piety you had with the L god. (About zero if you just started as N). And the piety you had with the N god decreases because you left him. If you then switch back, your piety with the L god decreases (piety can get negative) and you get your N piety back.

Your initial piety is usually just enough to pray for healing twice. If you sacrifice anything, you gain piety with your current god.

Praying for the same thing gets more expensive each time you do it.

JellySlayer
02-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Thank you!
Starting prayers? so a new/low character can pray for things, what can you get?
Also does Piety reset everytime I switch alignment back and forth?
ex N+ --> LN --> N+

(seine letzte adom vids sind gut für mein duetch üben)

To pray, press the _ key. Depending on your current condition, you may get one of several effects. Most commonly, you'll get healing. If you are starving or nearly starving, you'll get some food. If you're out of magic, you may get power points. As you sacrifice more at altars, you can get stronger effects--uncursing items, for example--and more prayers.

Changing alignment will cause you to lose these initial prayers, which can be quite a disadvantage. Worse, if you've increased your piety with one god, and then switch alignments, the other gods might actually despise you quite a bit (sacrificing to one god makes the others like you less). If you pray to a god that hates you, you might get some very bad effects, like your entire inventory becoming cursed.

blunk
02-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I've learned something new!:)
Don't do all-random-characters, it slows down learning.
So I try and grind some of the more kind-to-early-game-character and got myself a Male Paladin Orc.
SS Salamander, no real use since it'll take ages for me to even be able to learn from spellbooks.
The amount of hps and equipment with decent initial PV is invaluable.
Skill set is really nice.

I just got lvl 9 and its been really close a couple of times.
I got my large rations in village, opened PC and then went to SMC.
I got the blanket from SMC, next time I will screen show SMC so I recall if/where I found stairs down. Of course I forgot to write down my first kill, but I think it was goblin.
I then went to DD, got all the way down to 7 and back up again, I think I used 1-2 prayers for healing.
Undead Vault, ghouls were scary, I probably used one prayer here.
A lot of exp and ranged practice here.
Altar of wrong align (think it was L).
DD7 was just to trigger Druid.
I then went to PC at char lvl 6 I think.
PC2 I faced a conundrum and had to fight the ants to get to PC3.
I was barely able to kill one but knowing how tough they were I tried to perfect hth-tactic-setting, used ranged, doors and then abused the stairs.
The stairs really saved me and when I got too low on HPS I went on search for easier PC1 mobs while healing.
I got to lvl8 by them time ants were dead, I also found a corpse that got my stomach tingling :)
At PC4 I stumbled upon a vault again, I carefully studied all mobs I could see, there were a couple of potential dangers, snake, shadow centipede and Ogre magus.
I dispatched of some stuff and of course got poisoned, once from shadow centi and once from snake/viper/spider or similar.
I began to retreat to Stairs with a spider on my heels and seeing messages about OgreMagus, killed spider on PC1 and was getting really low on HPS.
I finally I had to gamble with another prayer...
"you are healed by a black light surrounding you." also something about "The ground rumbles", what does that mean?. The poison soon after left my body very soon after.
I returned down got hit by bolt from OgreMagus *OUCH* and got chased by CaveFisher to PC1, killed it and got a corpse.
I was too low to eat the cave fisher corpse for poison resist (now with NO prayers), I'm thinking of returning to sell some stuff that I wont use.
Altar of wrong align (think it was N) on PC2.

Skills I've worked on:
Athletics, concentration, dodge, find weakness (go orcs!), first aid,, healing, literacy.
Potentiially useful that I didn't touch:
swimming, yes its low but I reasoned I got enough hps to swim.
backstab, I don't know how to use it unless perm invis.
Stealth, too low to make a difference, not sure what value the skill really is.

Talents:
Alert, Miser, THunter, Quick

Lessons learned:
Write down when prayers are used or lossed due to align change.
Not a bad idea to Sreenshot all dungeons mapped.
Write down where altars and shops are.
Write down first kill.
Go DD if you have healing, VD if you have herbalism, what if you have neither?

Bad/good luck:
No C Altar. SMC, dd1-7, PC 1-4.
Wooden shield not cursed.
Found a big stack (25) arrows and an uncursed showbow, helped a lot with ranged and practice.
Poisoned (maybe put this on unexperienced).
Lost Metal Cap to Mob/Trap.

I'll try link screens....

blunk
02-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Any advice on how to deal with the Ogre Magus?

Here's some images:
Stats, HPMana, Skills, Worn items and weapon skills.

Yes Ants were tedious with this low damage but it worked.

blunk
02-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Lots of inventory stuff (switched to jpeg to reduce size a bit), aka the curse of No Altar:
There are more rations, a cave fisher corpse and 583 gold that didn't fit.

Siriah
02-09-2014, 03:04 PM
something about "The ground rumbles", what does that mean?
It's a message from your god letting you know that your repeated requests for divine assistance are starting to get annoying ;) It has no negative effects other than telling you that your piety with that god is slightly negative, so you can't expect your next prayer to work. At least, not until you make a few sacrifices.

You have a lot of equipment slots you could be filling. Those altars of the wrong alignment you found can be very useful to you. If you sacrifice on an altar of a different religion, it will either change your alignment or the altar's alignment, depending on if your sacrifice is small or big. In your current situation where your current god doesn't care that much about you anymore, both of those mean that you will quickly end up with an altar that is the same alignment as you are, which you can then use to find out if any of your items are cursed. (Note: even if you don't have the opportunity to use an altar, don't be afraid to equip items immediately if you think they're more likely to help you survive the early game than not. It's possible to get rid of cursed items, but it's not possible to get rid of a character's deadness.)

Ogre magi are tough enemies to encounter this early in the game. If you're taking bad damage from its bolts you probably shouldn't risk fighting it at this point, as there are plenty of safer places for your character to go, such as the first part of the Caverns of Chaos.

Good luck on your paladin's further adventures!

blunk
02-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Awesome I got NC after sacrifying about 200 gold :)

blunk
02-10-2014, 12:40 AM
So I got a bad entrance in cavernous room PC 5, on my way up a troll berserker got me, in hindsight I should maybe just have dropped enough to run away from him.
The third Paladorc died quick.
Success!!
With my fourth incarnation I got decent rolls and Dragon as SS.
I got all my early goals, blanket from SMC, I then went back and forth PC and DD.
Decided to go for PC first, loads of monster down below but nothing too difficult.
I bought some extra 14 rocks in BV (prroved to be a good choice).
I also sold a lot of junk, I managed to deduce what items could be useful with the help of sell-price-comparing, it helped me to discover a short sword of slaughtering.
DD had a bees nest in cavern, but it was close to stairs down and not too far from stairs up.
Keethrax was a breeze, orcs have everburning torch ... I also managed to give atleast 2 cat mobs the slip.
So collecting my stuff I thought I'd try read books back in town, sloppy as I am I didn't look at weight and read Tract of chaos, oh well I could've been L or N.
Closest death was probably room full of traps, I triggered 4-6 before I got the idea :p
I got acid and fire resistance as well as teleportation control from eating corpses. No poison, however that havent been too bad with To:22.
Zero C altars
lvl10, 125 hps dv/pv 21/10 (26/10 with spear).

blunk
02-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Black Torc
Is the black torc thrown with "thrown skill" ? Seems it doesn't generate skill marks?
No missile damage is shown when it's in missile slot.
I prefer sling or thrown for the better range.
Should I even skip the sling and just practice thrown? oh well I'll go for some sling for now.

Are there benefits for multiple resistances of the same type?
Ex. Intrinsic fire resistance from corpse, ring of fire resist and gaunts with fire resist.

Weapon practice
I see the benefit or polearms, however I've found a "Flaming adamantium mace +0, 1d6+6" and "short sword of slaughtering +0, 2d8".
On the other hand I use a lot of sling.... I sold the 2h +0 scythe since I got a large shield [+6,+1] but I do have my starting +1, d8 spear.

Books
Would you save them until 80+ literacy or try read to practice literacy? (lit 47, conc 66)

JellySlayer
02-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Black torc does not build skill marks in any skill. However, it is a returning missile and does extra damage on undead, so it's kind of useful in that way. It can also be worn as a decent amulet (though it is autocursing and messes with your luck a bit).

Multiple resistances will mean you'll take less damage from that element.

I would use the best weapon you have available. Weapon marks build up quite quickly.

I'd save your books. There's better ways to practice reading, and books can occasionally be lost or explode.

blunk
02-10-2014, 04:01 PM
PV seems very nice compared to DV.
Is it to the extent that you try and get every piece of pv no matter what?
Ex. can choose between chainmail (-3,+5) or leather (+0,+4)
But the chainmail is sooo heavy.

JellySlayer
02-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Especially early in the game, PV is very nice, yes. DV becomes more important later in the game, when many monsters can penetrate your armor quite frequently, or simply do so much damage that you can't get enough PV for it to make a significant difference.

That said, I'd personally probably go for [0,+4] over [-3,+5], given the DV loss, extra weight, and to-hit penalties of the chain armor. If the chain is the only source of PV you have though, then maybe not. But if it's a choice between 11 PV and 12 PV with the respective benefits/drawbacks, the leather is probably fine. Keep the chain somewhere safe in case the other one gets damaged.

blunk
02-10-2014, 07:14 PM
I got a better choice, Adamantium Ringmail :)
I'm Currently 13/12 or 36/14 with Ad ringmail and either Ad 2h sword or Ad spear/Ad Shield.
(That 2h sword really packs a punch +12,3d5+12.)

I've done a few arena fights, went down to dwarves (on d9) and got portal (Lightning Lizard) and graveyard quest.
I cleared top level of graveyard, how bad is the low level w/o Detect trap?
Should I go somewhere else?
Grind early coc after Lightning lizard?

My idea was to get neutral and then use the dwarf altar but I'm not even C+.
Money begins to stack, almost 15k.

JellySlayer
02-10-2014, 07:40 PM
You can change alignment easily by saccing 1 gold at a time at an altar of your desired alignment. Shouldn't take more than a few dozen pieces of gold.

Lightning lizards will need you to visit somewhat deep in CoC... they might show up in the levels just below Dwarftown if you're lucky. Be careful of the level with two stairs on it (should be around D:13). If you want to attempt the remaining dwarf quests, it's highly desirable to kill the lightning lizard before descending below this point. The Dwarven Graveyard has some traps, but detect traps is not necessary. Leave behind valuable items if you're really concerned (books and scrolls if you don't have a waterproof blanket, rusty items).

If you've hit level 13, you may have found a papyrus scroll suggesting another location to visit. Definitely worth your while.

blunk
02-10-2014, 07:54 PM
You can change alignment easily by saccing 1 gold at a time at an altar of your desired alignment. Shouldn't take more than a few dozen pieces of gold.
Is this safe on dwarf Altar? think I read gold should instead be given to dwarf priest as donations for convertion.....

If you've hit level 13, you may have found a papyrus scroll suggesting another location to visit. Definitely worth your while.
I recently got 12 but yeah that'll be an option later.

The Dwarven Graveyard has some traps, but detect traps is not necessary. Leave behind valuable items if you're really concerned (books and scrolls if you don't have a waterproof blanket, rusty items).
I got blanket so I'll give it a try.

JellySlayer
02-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Is this safe on dwarf Altar? think I read gold should instead be given to dwarf priest as donations for convertion.....

Yes, this is fine to do on the dwarf altar. They won't try to sacrifice you. If your alignment has been changing a lot recently, you may want to leave your gear on another level just in case one of the gods is pissed at you.

blunk
02-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Worked well, after changing also donned an amulet of order.
Graveyard clear, pyramid upcoming.

blunk
02-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Better later than never, I blessed my main weapon for extra damage vs undead.

I have a good problem regarding choice of amulets:
Blessed amulet of order, to wear in safe areas for align towards N=
Blessed amulet of prot +2, for PV. (will get replaced if/when pyramid is cleared)
UC Necklace of rapid healing. (only useful if hurt)
UC Necklace of the eye, good vision is awesome, maybe not that useful in tight areas ....

I think I got the answer above, I just had to word the options.
40/18 153 hps lvl 13 +31 d8+18 normal tactics with prot amulet:)

I also wonder when should I:
eat morgia and marelion? (Also should I just junk the cursed ones?)
As I understand they only train current stats.
I got D12(14) T20(33)
Drink potions of potential stat (I got S,T and L, all uncursed, they do me no good in backpack)
Drink potion of gain attribute (I suppose I could wait til all are max current, bless and drink but that takes aweful amount of time)

Uncursing, is there any convenient way to uncurse all items or is dip --> holy water the only way to go?
I got a pair of cursed boots of sneakiness on me (I think it prevents me to kick statues since they're not metal) otherwise its just herbs, wands etc that are cursed.
I guess I save the uncursing scrolls for now.

Climbing set is it needed?
I read about the rift and library and I don't ... think I need that.

Superteeth
02-12-2014, 12:14 AM
If you are a min-maxer, then save the potions of gain attributes in a safe place until your stats from herbs are maxed. For stats in which you are low and can train with herbs, it is good to bless the potions of potential stat. Instead of dipping cursed items in holy water, dip a stack of scrolls of uncursing in holy water. A blessed scroll of uncursing uncurses your entire inventory. Save the holy water for something else. You need a climbing set to reach a particular place in the NW corner of the map, or you will not be able to pass a certain point in the CoC without great danger (I don't know how spoiled you are, so I tried to keep spoilers to a minimum). The library is good to visit for the weird tome, if you give it to the right person you can get some really useful scrolls.

blunk
02-12-2014, 02:05 AM
Don't think I have enough and I can buy the last point of dex from garth.
I only have one holy water pot left, I guess I could sac gold for petter piety so I can get more ....

Cleared Pyramid, except for a master swordsman that was annoying and that I got confused once I did well.
I now have a choice of insane PV or go for resistance, resistance seems to be the answer.

Searching for a lizard below dwarves I've stumbled upon a gorgon on D11, I don't like what I read about them.....
Tried arrows but they do next to no damage.
Should I just grind around for lizard until split room or are there more useful things to do?

I also notice I eat a LOT.
Is this related to artifacts or to me eating 2x troll corpses with increased regen?

JellySlayer
02-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Artifacts do increase food consumption, yes. Not a huge amount per artifact, but it adds up.

Gorgons are fairly dangerous. They have a petrification attack that can instantly kill you.

You can try the High Kings dungeon in the west side of the map. Might be able to find a lightning lizard there. Mind the red water. If you have huge PV and can do good damage, you could also attempt to clear Darkforge. Good xps and chance to get some very nice loot there.

grobblewobble
02-12-2014, 07:25 AM
UC Necklace of rapid healing. (only useful if hurt)
UC Necklace of the eye, good vision is awesome, maybe not that useful in tight areas ....

Both of these work better blessed.

blunk
02-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Both of these work better blessed.

Thanks for the advice, I'm a bit low on holy water (one left), will probably sacc gold so I can bless my UC water pots.
Orc everburning torch helps with necklace of the eye as well.
Rapid healing goes from x2 to x8 if blessed, will consider it.

blunk
02-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Artifacts do increase food consumption, yes. Not a huge amount per artifact, but it adds up.

Gorgons are fairly dangerous. They have a petrification attack that can instantly kill you.

You can try the High Kings dungeon in the west side of the map. Might be able to find a lightning lizard there. Mind the red water. If you have huge PV and can do good damage, you could also attempt to clear Darkforge. Good xps and chance to get some very nice loot there.

Thanks for the advice, I'll read on darkforge and HighKingD.

Here's some updated stats with a few questions at the end of post.
Intrinsics:
acid resistance
fire resist
telecontrol
Poison resistant
regen from trollx2

Kill for dwarf quest: Lightning Lizard

Items, Not optional:
metal cap [+0,+3]
Ele gaunts [+0,+3], Fire+cold resistance
Cloak of prot [+0,+5]
Cursed boots of sneakiness +0+0 +2 dex (not found any useful boots to remove these)

Items, Optional:
Body
Mummy Wrappings [+1,+5], poison, sleep, stun and death ray resistance; grants see invisible intrinsic
Adamantium ringmail: -1/+2 (vs wrapping)
Neck
Vision, necklace of the eye,
Regen, necklace of rapid regen
Ank, [+2,+2]
blessed of order, alignment towards neutral
Ring
damage
invis!!!
stun resist
cold resist
Weapon
Adamantium 2h sword, +12, 3d5+12 [-1,+0]
blessed Adamantium spear +1, d8+6 , DV+8/PV+0 (vs 2h sword) substantially less damage
med Adamantium shield (+3) [+7,+2], DV+21/PV+2 vs empty hand.

So 44/24 seems to be my max PV.

My preferred setting would be:
Necklace, Ank [+2,+2] (and more)
ring, stung reist
ring, invis
armour, wrapping
weapon 2h sword (could use blessing) or spear/shield

I go from 45/22 to 16/20 when I switch to 2h.

Any drawbacks from invis (other than I need to remove when talking to NPCs)?
Is 16/20 with invis enough? I realize some mobs see invis or should I go with low dps spear?

Optional weapons for reference:
Flaming Admantium mace +0,d6+6 , maybe a good orc sacrifice ??
Adamantium flail +0, 2d4+8, maybe a good orc sacrifice ??
Sword of Nonnak +2,4d3+2 [+2,+2] wis+5, Maybe I should use this instad of spear, +2 PV after all?

JellySlayer
02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Wearing the ring of invisibility greatly increases your food consumption. That's probably why you're starving all the time. Your food consumption is basically 4x normal with it.

I recommend wearing the ankh pretty much all the time. Aside from [+2,+2], it makes your character much luckier, which has all kinds of good effects. Ring of damage is nice to wear if you're having trouble doing damage otherwise. Mummy wrap gives stun resist anyway. For weapons, the 2H sword is probably fine for now, I guess, though if you find yourself taking a lot of damage, you might want to switch.

blunk
02-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Wearing the ring of invisibility greatly increases your food consumption. That's probably why you're starving all the time. Your food consumption is basically 4x normal with it.

I recommend wearing the ankh pretty much all the time. Aside from [+2,+2], it makes your character much luckier, which has all kinds of good effects. Ring of damage is nice to wear if you're having trouble doing damage otherwise. Mummy wrap gives stun resist anyway. For weapons, the 2H sword is probably fine for now, I guess, though if you find yourself taking a lot of damage, you might want to switch.

I just found the invis ring so no, that's not the case, I also got n= after saccing some gold so I guess I could do some more grave digging, don't know how good the items are ....
Oh I forgot blessed girdle of carrying (along with 26 strenght), so I could basically buy 100 cooked lizards or something and use the invis ring as long as I remove it when food store is a bit low?

JellySlayer
02-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Well, the only graves worth digging up are graves that say they have great treasure inside. The ones that don't say that have 1 monster and usually no items (but sometimes one). The ones with great treasure will have 10-20 random items (though both graveyards are high level areas, so the items can be quite good). But the monster that you fight is much more dangerous--a master lich, lich king, or even emperor lich. These guys can be pretty deadly. Be sure to have a teleport ready if you try this so you can bail out quickly if something goes wrong.

blunk
02-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Well, the only graves worth digging up are graves that say they have great treasure inside. The ones that don't say that have 1 monster and usually no items (but sometimes one). The ones with great treasure will have 10-20 random items (though both graveyards are high level areas, so the items can be quite good). But the monster that you fight is much more dangerous--a master lich, lich king, or even emperor lich. These guys can be pretty deadly. Be sure to have a teleport ready if you try this so you can bail out quickly if something goes wrong.

Oh, how do I know they got great treasures? I did dig 2-3 in dwarven graveyard and it was no great stuff and low mobs. But I had to stop because of align.
Btw, I did sac a couple of weapons and a couple of thousand gold, I'm N= now. And very pleased.
I also dropped water for holy water and blessed 2x uncursing scrolls, 2h sword, and potion of gain attributes.

JellySlayer
02-12-2014, 06:25 PM
You can read the inscriptions on the tombstones. You might have to walk on them a couple times. Depends on literacy score.

blunk
02-12-2014, 07:01 PM
You can read the inscriptions on the tombstones. You might have to walk on them a couple times. Depends on literacy score.

Ahh thanks, will try that if I manage Tomb of the High king, there is a later problem there ...
Ack! have no wand of frost or netherbolt book for bridge to high king *grumble*.
I suppose we go digging...

Btw, will that gorgon breathe despite me beeing invis or will it act like confused?

JellySlayer
02-12-2014, 07:03 PM
If you don't attack him and keep your distance, he'll probably ignore you like most other monsters when you're invis. I don't think gorgons tend to be chasers like some other monsters are.

blunk
02-12-2014, 07:34 PM
If you don't attack him and keep your distance, he'll probably ignore you like most other monsters when you're invis. I don't think gorgons tend to be chasers like some other monsters are.

Ok then its back down there then for a while.
Graves succesfully dealt with, got confused once but ghosts didnt see invis.
3 rocks and some morgia roots cursed :)
Edit: Nice Exp!

blunk
02-12-2014, 08:49 PM
After gravedigging I went back to CoC and dwarf town, Orc helmet gave me some extra pv for 22 with 2h sword.
I went down again in hope of great success, no gorgon in sight a doppelganger lord was easily dispatched so was a beehive (that gave me gelee).
I got down to d13 where there was this berserker looking mob ... put a target over it to see Berserker Emperor!.
My missiles did very little damage and despite defensive he quickly made mince meat of me, I was veeery close to death.
With the small room to walk around him and with speed as upper hand (he can see invis) I escaped, one of the hits got me down to single digit hps, luckily I remembered heal prayers were renewed since I donated, close shave, cloooose shave.

... no lightning lizard, no wand of cold, no bridge building.

JellySlayer
02-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Are you sure that you were in D:13? Berserker emperors are very high level and unlikely to be found in this area. More likely, you accidentally stumbled into the Dwarven Halls (DH:1), where extremely high level monsters can spawn. Crossing this area is part of the 2nd dwarf quest.

brett13r
02-12-2014, 09:36 PM
I started to cross the DH:1 got half way through the first level then got scared because of some Highelf summoner mage thing incredibley hard to kill.
So I blessed my pots of invisi and went through the animated forest with little trouble.
Dont go there unless you get the quest or else you get another annoying kill *this monster quest. Hard lesson learned. And apparently rehteph mummy guy is hella hard, at least for me which was the cause of my death at lvl 16 lol.

blunk
02-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Are you sure that you were in D:13? Berserker emperors are very high level and unlikely to be found in this area. More likely, you accidentally stumbled into the Dwarven Halls (DH:1), where extremely high level monsters can spawn. Crossing this area is part of the 2nd dwarf quest.

Ooh you're right it was DH1, how did I not see that. I'll leave it for later that IS sure.
Donning Rapid healing, keeping to dh 12 and above ....

blunk
02-13-2014, 01:11 AM
I give up searching for lizard and wand so will go to Darkhold for some luck next.
Tried to kick statues but it won't work, am I doing something wrong?

Found out how to create a character log, now how do I insert it here so it can be expanded?

Talents
I chose long stride, quick, very quick (after the initial treasure hunter) any advice incase I continue to survive?

JellySlayer
02-13-2014, 01:16 AM
You need several kicks on statues to break them. I think only statues of monsters break, not the statues of great heroes.

To put in your log, write [ code ] text here [/code] except without the spaces on the first one.

Your talent choices are fine. Talents become less important above level 15 or so. If you use a lot of missiles, consider Good Shot/Keen Shot/Quick Shot talents. As a Paladin, some magic user talents could be useful as well to help you read books.

blunk
02-13-2014, 03:16 PM
You need several kicks on statues to break them. I think only statues of monsters break, not the statues of great heroes.

To put in your log, write [ code ] text here [/code] except without the spaces on the first one.

Your talent choices are fine. Talents become less important above level 15 or so. If you use a lot of missiles, consider Good Shot/Keen Shot/Quick Shot talents. As a Paladin, some magic user talents could be useful as well to help you read books.

Yes, I think they were statues of heroes, it just said "you strain ... kick in the air"

I have considered good/keen/quick shot, Silfir's legendary on run youtube gave me insight to ranged combat in Adom.
I've just managed to learn a few spells (see log later), I lost one or 2 books, no biggie. Got confused once (didn't retry that).
Confused was dangerous in dwarf town but after some thinking I tried chat and that worked when confused, go me, I solved something w/o guides :)

I've noticed a minor bug, heroes name can be 10 character but only 8 are used to store the hero savegame and logs, probably because of old fat 8.3 reqs.
Why in such a situation you'd allow 10 char names is beyond me ....

I'm a hoarder, I realise I had to sell stuff incase something happened to my blessed girdle of carrying, this is with S27 haha!
Here's a verbose log, this is after I sold a bunch of extras (items in next post didn't fit):
PaladorcIV

Character Information
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PaladorcIV St:27 Le:15 Wi:20 Dx:17 To:25 Ch:19 Ap: 6 Ma:11 Pe:14
NC
DV/PV: 21/22 H: 193(193) P: 75(75) Exp: 15/221865 M: 35793
Background Information
Name: PaladorcIV Race: male Orc Class: Paladin
Eye color: brown Hair color: black Complexion: tanned
Height: 6' Weight: 200 pounds
Star sign: Dragon Birthday: 28/Dragon (day 178 of the year)
Weapon Skills
Melee weapon Lvl Hit Dam DV Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- ------------- --------------
Unarmed fighting 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 11
Daggers & knives 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
Clubs & hammers 4 +3 +1 +1 skilled 40
Maces & flails 3 +2 +1 +0 basic 21
Swords 2 +2 +0 +0 basic 30
Axes 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
Whips 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14
Pole arms 8 +8 +4 +8 excellent 297
Twohanded weapons 7 +6 +9 +2 skilled 202
Staves 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 14

Missile weapon Lvl Hit Dam Ra Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- --- -- ------------- --------------
Slings 8 +16 +12 +2 excellent 305
Bows 6 +12 +9 +2 skilled 109
Crossbows 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 4
Thrown axes & hammers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Thrown daggers 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Thrown rocks & clubs 8 +16 +12 +2 excellent 315
Thrown spears 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7
Boomerangs & scurgari 0 +0 +0 +0 unskilled 7

Shields Lvl DV Level Required marks
--------------------- --- --- ------------- --------------
Shields 7 +14 skilled 401

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
--------------------------------------
Right hand: +41 bonus to hit, 3d5+34 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
----------------------------------------
Ammunition: 30, base range: 8, +34 bonus to hit, 1d4+17 damage
Spells
Calm Monster : 81, 9pp (Effectivity: +0)
Cure Light Wounds : 118, 5pp (Effectivity: +0)
Darkness : 17, 7pp (Effectivity: +0)
Lesser Divine Touch: 109, 8pp (Effectivity: +0)
Web : 70, 15pp (Effectivity: +0)
Skills
Athletics ................ 89 (great) [+2d4]
Backstabbing ............. 48 (fair) [+1d5]
Climbing ................. 46 (fair) [+4d4]
Concentration ............100 (superb) [+2d4]
Dodge .................... 66 (good) [+1d5]
Find weakness ............ 77 (great) [+1d3]
First aid ................ 52 (good) [+3d3]
Haggling ................. 26 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Healing .................. 86 (great) [+2d4]
Herbalism ................ 76 (great) [+2d4]
Listening ................ 67 (good) [+1d5]
Literacy ................. 70 (good) [+1d3]
Metallurgy ............... 8 (poor) [+4d5]
Mining ................... 19 (mediocre) [+3d5]
Stealth .................. 57 (good) [+1d3]
Swimming ................. 24 (mediocre) [+3d4]
Two weapon combat ........ 8 (poor) [+4d5]

Killed Monsters
No cats :)

blunk
02-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Items:

Inventory
Total weight: 4703 stones Carrying capacity: 6675 stones

Head : uncursed orcish helmet [+1, +4] {Pe-1} [100s]
Neck : uncursed ankh [3s]
Body : uncursed ancient mummy wrapping [+1, +5] {Ap-8} [60s]
Girdle : blessed girdle of carrying [+0, +0] [15s]
Cloak : uncursed cloak of protection [+0, +5] [20s]
Right Hand : blessed adamantium two-handed sword (+12, 3d5+12) [-1, +0]
Left Hand : -
Right Ring : uncursed ring of damage [1s]
Left Ring : uncursed ring of ice [1s]
Bracers : -
Gauntlets : uncursed elemental gauntlets (-1, +0) [+0, +3] [10s]
Boots : uncursed boots of sneakiness [+0, +0] {Dx+2} [20s]
Missile Weapon: uncursed sling (+2, +1) [3s]
Missiles : heap of 30 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4) [150s]
Tool : blessed everburning torch [+1, +0] [10s]

Stuff

Total weight: 4240 stones Carrying capacity: 6675 stones

Shields ('[')
uncursed medium adamantium shield (+3) [+7, +2] [72s]
medium shield [80s]
Cloaks ('[')
uncursed cloak of protection [+0, +3] [20s]
uncursed hooded cloak [+1, +1] [40s]
Girdles ('[')
leather girdle [5s]
Necklaces (''')
uncursed necklace of rapid healing [2s]
uncursed black torc [+4, +2] (+10 spd) [3s]
uncursed necklace of the eye [3s]
blessed amulet of order [3s]
uncursed necklace of rabies resistance [2s]
uncursed amulet of health [3s]
heap of 2 uncursed electrum amulets [6s]
One-handed weapons ('(')
blessed adamantium spear (+1, 1d8+6) [36s]
uncursed pick axe (+1, 1d6+1) [75s]
uncursed sword of Nonnak (+2, 4d3+2) [+2, +2] {Wi+5} [80s]
blessed large eternium hammer (-1, 2d10+10) [55s]
Missile weapons ('}')
uncursed short bow (+1, +2) [20s]
uncursed heavy crossbow of accuracy (+9, +3) [140s]
Missiles ('/')
bundle of 3 blessed arrows (+0, 1d6) [6s]
blessed rock (-1, 1d4) [5s]
heap of 9 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4+3) [45s]
heap of 12 uncursed rocks (+2, 1d4) [60s]
uncursed rock (+0, 1d4-3) [5s]
heap of 3 uncursed rocks (+1, 1d4+3) [15s]
heap of 7 blessed rocks (+0, 1d4-2) [35s]
heap of 9 uncursed rocks (+1, 1d4) [45s]
heap of 2 uncursed rocks (+3, 1d4) [10s]
heap of 2 uncursed rocks (+1, 1d4+1) [10s]
heap of 3 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4+2) [15s]
bundle of 10 uncursed penetrating quarrels (+1, 2d6+1) [20s]
bundle of 17 uncursed arrows of darkness (+0, 1d6) [34s]
heap of 3 uncursed rocks (+2, 1d4-3) [15s]
heap of 8 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4+1) [40s]
blessed lead sling bullet (+3, 1d5) [3s]
bundle of 5 uncursed arrows (+0, 1d6+1) [10s]
blessed arrow (+0, 1d6+1) [2s]
uncursed arrow (+1, 1d6) [2s]
bundle of 3 uncursed lead sling bullets (+3, 1d5) [9s]
uncursed quarrel (+1, 2d6) [2s]
heap of 3 blessed rocks (+0, 1d4) [15s]
heap of 9 uncursed rocks [45s]
bundle of 12 uncursed arrows (+0, 1d6) [24s]
bundle of 3 uncursed arrows [3s]
bundle of 2 blessed mithril quarrels (+1, 2d6+3) [4s]
bundle of 6 uncursed quarrels of construct slaying (+3, 2d6+6) [24s]
uncursed arrow [2s]
heap of 5 uncursed rocks (-3, 1d4) [25s]
cursed arrow [2s]
uncursed arrow [2s]
blessed arrow [2s]
bundle of 20 uncursed arrows [40s]
cursed arrow [2s]
bundle of 2 uncursed arrows [4s]
uncursed arrow [2s]
uncursed arrow [2s]
bundle of 2 blessed arrows [4s]
bundle of 7 uncursed quarrels of construct slaying (+3, 2d6+3) [28s]
uncursed rock [5s]
heap of 8 blessed rocks [40s]
uncursed arrow [2s]
bundle of 20 uncursed arrows [40s]
cursed rock [5s]
uncursed rock [5s]
cursed arrow [2s]
uncursed arrow [2s]
uncursed arrow [2s]
blessed arrow [2s]
heap of 3 blessed rocks [15s]
uncursed arrow [2s]
bundle of 6 uncursed arrows [6s]
heap of 5 uncursed rocks [25s]
Tools (']')
blessed holy symbol [5s]
blessed waterproof blanket [10s]
heap of 27 uncursed lumps of clay [135s]
uncursed hexagonal key [1s]
blessed square key [1s]
blessed bandage [2s]
uncursed bandage [2s]
blessed si [10s]
uncursed climbing set [180s]
uncursed thieves picks [5s]
uncursed torch [10s]
uncursed box with flint and steel [5s]
heap of 2 sis [20s]
Instruments ('{')
uncursed whistle [1s]
Rings ('=')
uncursed ring of stun resistance [1s]
uncursed ring of invisibility [1s]
uncursed nograin ring [1s]
Wands ('\')
uncursed wand of trap creation (3 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of stunning (3 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of lightning (3 charges) [4s]
uncursed wand of trap detection (2 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of digging (4 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of knocking (7 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of monster creation (5 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of far slaying (6 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of far slaying (9 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of trap detection (3 charges) [3s]
blessed wand of digging (5 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of fireballs (1 charge) [3s]
uncursed wand of knocking (6 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of acid (4 charges) [4s]
uncursed wand of knocking (7 charges) [3s]
uncursed wand of monster creation [3s]
Potions ('!')
uncursed potion of booze [4s]
heap of 5 uncursed potions of cure poison [10s]
heap of 4 uncursed potions of healing [16s]
heap of 5 potions of holy water [20s]
uncursed potion of poison [4s]
heap of 2 uncursed potions of extra healing [4s]
heap of 2 uncursed potions of carrot juice [8s]
blessed potion of visibility [4s]
blessed potion of healing [4s]
uncursed potion of raw mana [2s]
uncursed potion of boost speed [2s]
heap of 5 blessed potions of extra healing [10s]
blessed potion of booze [4s]
uncursed translucent potion [4s]
uncursed opaque potion [2s]
uncursed mercury potion [2s]
uncursed sandy potion [4s]
uncursed brown potion [2s]
uncursed magenta potion [2s]
cursed potion of extra healing [2s]
milky potion [2s]
Scrolls ('?')
heap of 3 uncursed scrolls of balance [6s]
heap of 3 blessed scrolls of identify [6s]
heap of 4 uncursed scrolls of power [8s]
heap of 2 uncursed scrolls of dark predictions [4s]
blessed scroll of item detection [2s]
blessed scroll of peace [2s]
uncursed scroll of satiation [2s]
uncursed scroll of monster detection [2s]
heap of 2 uncursed scrolls of darkness [4s]
heap of 2 uncursed scrolls of magic mapping [4s]
uncursed papyrus scroll [2s]
heap of 2 uncursed scrolls of great identify [4s]
scroll of identify [2s]
uncursed scroll of identify [2s]
uncursed scroll labeled "WoPaK" [2s]
Books ('"')
uncursed spellbook of Calm Monster [100s]
uncursed spellbook of Cure Light Wounds [100s]
blessed spellbook of Darkness [100s]
uncursed spellbook of Lesser Divine Touch [100s]
uncursed spellbook of Lordly Might [100s]
uncursed spellbook of Veil of the Gods [100s]
blessed spellbook of Web [100s]
uncursed spellbook of Lesser Divine Touch [100s]
uncursed spellbook of Veil of the Gods [100s]
Food ('%')
heap of 3 uncursed melons [60s]
heap of 4 uncursed fortune cookies [12s]
heap of 2 uncursed pairs of frog legs [4s]
heap of 3 uncursed dwarven sausages [60s]
heap of 2 uncursed pieces of dry meat [30s]
heap of 6 uncursed lumps of beeswax [30s]
blessed lump of beeswax [5s]
heap of 29 uncursed spenseweeds [58s]
heap of 7 uncursed pepper petals [14s]
heap of 6 uncursed alraunia antidotes [12s]
heap of 9 uncursed curaria mancox herbs [18s]
heap of 11 blessed spenseweeds [22s]
heap of 2 blessed curaria mancox herbs [4s]
blessed dwarven sausage [20s]
heap of 145 uncursed cooked lizards [435s]
heap of 7 blessed pepper petals [14s]
heap of 6 uncursed stomafillia herbs [12s]
heap of 8 blessed stomafillia herbs [16s]
heap of 3 blessed alraunia antidotes [6s]
uncursed hurthling cake [30s]
blessed iron ration [100s]
uncursed lump of gelee royal [3s]
uncursed bit of candy [2s]
blessed loaf of hurthling bread [30s]
heap of 3 cursed morgia roots [6s]
heap of 5 cursed moss patches of mareilon [10s]
cursed alraunia antidote [2s]
heap of 8 cursed spenseweeds [16s]
cursed stomafillia herb [2s]
loaf of bread [40s]
Valuables ('$')
23971 gold pieces [239s]
Gems ('*')
uncursed crystal of light [1s]
uncursed crystal of darkness [1s]
blessed amber [1s]
uncursed amber [1s]
uncursed turquoise [1s]
uncursed green gem [1s]
uncursed green gem [1s]
uncursed white gem [1s]

blunk
02-15-2014, 05:15 PM
After trying some other characters inbetween I left darkforge, I could kill the steelgolems one by one but had to heal up a lot inbetween.
I decided to follow the trail of other ppl and searched for the Lightning Lizard in ID.
After some grinding on ID9 I got lucky and with some trecking back to the dwarves I could finally satisfy Thrundarr.
Found seven league boots and a scimitar of mayhem, time for some sword practice! (41dv/31pv normal tactics and shield add 222 hps with that on lvl 16)

Maybe I'm running a bit high on turns, i hope it's not a big deal.
I've learned some spells, not very useful but fun to have, calm monster is handy with cats (not that they can touch me but...) maybe also in animated forest.

I've got 2 potions of exchange, consider dipping wands for cold wand. Maybe save them to chuck at arena cat.
Got potion of balance but I doubt even blessed are worth it when strenght and toughness are highest stats?

Next will be animated forest and arena.
I feel sort of invincible but no alertness means I can quickly loose important items to traps or spell effects ...

Question for the day:
At what stage/lvl is crowning useful? Paladin items didnt look that awesome.
Oh well only have 36k, some stomaphilia and sword of nonnak to sacc probably not enough ...

JellySlayer
02-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Paladins should crown ASAP. Their crowning gifts are all very nice. If you're very lucky, you will get the sword Justifier. This is the best weapon in the game--you can pretty much kill all of the major bosses in 1-2 hits with it.

As a Dwarf, you are much, much better off selling artifacts and sacrificing the gold. You get good prices at stores, and the Dwarf gods give bonus piety for gold.

blunk
02-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Paladins should crown ASAP. Their crowning gifts are all very nice. If you're very lucky, you will get the sword Justifier. This is the best weapon in the game--you can pretty much kill all of the major bosses in 1-2 hits with it.

As a Dwarf, you are much, much better off selling artifacts and sacrificing the gold. You get good prices at stores, and the Dwarf gods give bonus piety for gold.

I'm Orc, that's why saccing weapon.

blunk
02-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Hrm got these to sac for crowning, I doubt it is enough, what would you reader say?
Nonnak
Crystal phial
8 blessed stomaphilia
blob arti (from dwarf quest killing demon) no done yet
torc (from kethrax) if needed

Still no netherbolt or wand for high mountain cave (and no bridge building).

Also lvl req for crowning is supposed to be lvl 8+ spawned artifacts, I'm lvl 16, I already spawned:
ankh, wrapping, ele gaunts, si, nonnak, gladius, phial, torc (thats 8) and possibly more that I havent found.

I'll go check for water dragon lair and kill some DF steel golems meanwhile.....

sylph
02-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Hrm got these to sac for crowning, I doubt it is enough, what would you reader say?
Nonnak
Crystal phial
8 blessed stomaphilia
blob arti (from dwarf quest killing demon) no done yet
torc (from kethrax) if needed

Still no netherbolt or wand for high mountain cave (and no bridge building).

Also lvl req for crowning is supposed to be lvl 8+ spawned artifacts, I'm lvl 16, I already spawned:
ankh, wrapping, ele gaunts, si, nonnak, gladius, phial, torc (thats 8) and possibly more that I havent found.

I'll go check for water dragon lair and kill some DF steel golems meanwhile.....

I'm unsure about whether that's enough for a crowning, but I'd note that it's rare to find a crowning gift that surpasses big punch for damage, so be careful!

blunk
02-15-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm unsure about whether that's enough for a crowning, but I'd note that it's rare to find a crowning gift that surpasses big punch for damage, so be careful!

Well, maybe I'll roll with big punch then (pun intended), the crowning issue can wait for all I'm concerned.
With 27 str and blessed girdle of c even a hoarder as me can carry it :)

blunk
02-15-2014, 11:31 PM
*cough* demon didn't touch me :p

blunk
02-15-2014, 11:57 PM
RIP, Dragon Turtle breath.

blunk
02-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Ok on it again after some early hardships and more newbie mistakes.
Got a Dwarf paladin to dwarf town and woa! the prices! that is a difference!
Apart from Dex, they also seem to have very good stats (maybe stats isn't that important?)

Now to my questions:
1. Do anyone have accurate info to share of how herbs work?
I know that they train dex, tough and wis but not how much to use.

2. Could someone please enlighten me about the energy cost system?
Ie. how and why are seven league boots, long stride, quick shot and high speed good.
Edit: Ops: Found most answers here, http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Energy_Cost
So basically you can acomplish more on each day, at best run away from mobs and attack more than once a segment...?

3. There is a statue on the floor in the shop, what does the shopkeeper say if you kick/break his things?

4. There's a lot of talk about ring of wish, why's that such a good/important item?

Minor reflections:
A few tests (on paladin grey elf) of blessed potion of balance, seems to do approx same as potion of stat gain, from what I've read it's been changed somewhat over the years.
Altar in Dwarf town, this is the first time it wasn't neutral, instead it was lawful (same as me).
Have/had a char with penetrating sword, I think I've realised the strenght of those, even if they seem underpowered in raw stats.

JellySlayer
02-19-2014, 02:51 PM
There's a good primer on herbs here (http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Herbs), with a link to the Guidebook article that talks about various ways to farm them. For stat increasing herbs, eating/using 4 at a time or so and waiting for an increase is usually best practice.

Energy is related to speed. You can imagine the energy cost of an action being the tank, and speed being how much it gets filled up. So if an action takes 1000 and you have 100 speed, then it takes 1000/100 = 10 "units" to fill up your energy. If something has higher speed than you, say, 150 speed, then it will take 1000/150 = 6.7 units. So they'll get their turns more rapidly than you, and will be able to attack more frequently. So if you want to get faster, you can either increase your speed, or reduce the energy. Both effects are essentially equivalent. Except that increasing your speed decreases the amount of experience you receive, while reducing the energy cost of something does not. So generally, energy reductions are better, but it's much harder to get them.

If you damage something in a shop, you'll probably have to pay for it.

Wishes allow you to wish for (almost) any non-artifact item in the game. So if you're in the early game and find a wish, you could wish for a powerful weapon or armor that you wouldn't be able to get until 20 levels later. Or you can wish for rare items that are required to complete certain optional quests. Or whatever you want.

Potions of balance seem to have weird effects if your stats are too high. I think they can't increase a stat passed about 20 or so, and will decrease your stats without raising the others or something.

The altar in Dwarftown always matches your alignment when you first enter, unless you are chaotic, in which case the altar will be neutral.

Penetrating weapons are pretty good and it's always worth keeping one as a backup if you find it even if you find a higher damage weapon. In the early game, you don't notice their effects so much because most monsters have near-zero PV, but there's the odd thing (golems, dark orcs, etc.) that have uncharacteristically high PV at this point.

blunk
02-19-2014, 04:24 PM
There's a good primer on herbs here (http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Herbs), with a link to the Guidebook article that talks about various ways to farm them. For stat increasing herbs, eating/using 4 at a time or so and waiting for an increase is usually best practice.

Thank you for all the answers, aren't there also some cap on like 15? and also it also trains stats so no gain above potential max, right?

JellySlayer
02-19-2014, 04:52 PM
You can't train above potential max. There is also a hard cap at 25, even if your potential is higher.

mewmew
02-19-2014, 07:12 PM
For stat increasing herbs, eating/using 4 at a time or so and waiting for an increase is usually best practice.

Do they always train stats by 1 if you ate 4 of them (I mean blessed ones and stats lower than 25)? What if you ate more, will that additional training be wasted or saved (i.e. you will need less of it later or not)? Does their training stack with Glod's training?

It seems I wasted some training eating them by 9 at a time...

JellySlayer
02-19-2014, 07:17 PM
I'd say that it trains stat by one about ~98% of the time if you eat four. If you eat more, the additional training will carry through, but not very well. Eg. eating fifty might raise you 2-3 points at most.

There is currently a bug where if you are one point below your potential and eat a large number, you can overtrain into your potential and raise it.

It does stack with Glod, but doing both at the same time is kind of a waste of gold since herbs are much more efficient than Glod unless you train with literally millions of gold at once.

mewmew
02-19-2014, 07:20 PM
I see, ty.

Stingray1
02-19-2014, 09:03 PM
I didn't know herbs trained smithing.

JellySlayer
02-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Glod, Grod, same thing. I played this game for five years before I realized it was Thrundarr instead of Thundarr. I'm not that observant when it comes to these things.

blunk
02-20-2014, 01:20 AM
After eating the morgia (maybe 8?) I had left at T24 I'm now at T27 (and +4 with bracers of toughness on top of that).
A meager dex 13 got drained to 10 from demon in Dwarf town, hope I can train it soon enough.
Strength seems unable to move (stuck at 21), and I'm always burdened or strained, also ate quite a few ogre corpses but no luck.

I had dropped all the way to LN after druid quest and some lawful mobs, I went back to do Sheriff quest and killed hotzenplotz wich soon got me back at L but never got to L+.
I read on crowning and sacrified Sickle+Torc and got L+, some 20-30k gold on top of that and I was home.
I got Justifier, I'd heard it was good but comparing to big punch it look better but not by a huge margin with a strong char...
... then I read about the x2 dam for paladins .....
So I'm now:
Normal tactics, 3d5+25 dv48/pv35 lvl 14 199hps, will be difficult to stay cool with the overconfidence :rolleyes:

Any use for big punch other than selling?, the gold also weigh less ...
Guess I could store it at barb glade (on my way to pyramid and graveyard anyway at the moment).

Butt kicking for goodness!

JellySlayer
02-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Justifier is awesome, congrats. You will never need another weapon. Big Punch you can just sell now, yeah. Or sac if you want, either way.