PDA

View Full Version : Non wizard spells

Sqrrt121
02-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Can non wizard chars cast and learn spells? Tje reason i am asking this is because i am a dwarf paladin a have found a spellbook shop with teleport for 800 gold. I have brought it along with other spellbooks but can i learn them without dying?

Ravenshire
02-08-2014, 12:17 AM
yes you can its more difficult for non wizards to learn spells but i have had a paladin that had ethereal bridge(cleric tele) as well as some other spells. you need to have a good learning score and a LE of around 20 to be safe.

JellySlayer
02-08-2014, 03:54 AM
You also need high literacy (100 preferably) and concentration (also 100). If a book is too hard for you, it might help to gain a few levels before you try to read it.

Utnapishtim
02-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Concentration helps in reading the books, but is not strictly necessary. In my previous game (p20) my ratling thief could read most spellbooks (even identify and teleportation) without having concentration skill at all, and only having literacy in the 80ies. The main use for concentration is that without it the power points regeneration is way too slow for using magic efficiently.

To be safe, you would really want to identify the spellbook before trying to read it, though. If it happens to be a very challenging spellbook such as wish or create item, trying to read it without proper character, stats and skills will be somewhat dangerous.

Mobius
02-08-2014, 05:01 AM
What helps:
Higher Levels
Higher Learning
Higher Literacy
Blessed Spellbook.

I would not be surprised if Luck helps too.

Some classes have an added difficulty - mindcrafters, ?beastfighers?
Semi-casters - druids, paladins - have some advantage, but less than wiz.