PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on what to do next please :)

brett13r
02-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Hi, I have been slowly going at it with a High elf Archer. I'm lvl 16, with normal tactics he has 49/13 (DV/PV) St:17,Le:20,Wi:7,Dx:24,To:11,Ap:14,Ma:12,Pe:19. He is LN alighment right now, tried pre crowning but could never get my piety up high enough(Tips appreciated). But anyways I don't have any artifacts except for the one i traded from the arena, I do have a blessed adamantium short sword of mayhem (2+, 3d6+11). I made it to the dying sage then went up got portal quest and now am kinda lost on what to do. I know how to do the portal quest (in theory). But I haven't really done anything unnessasary, besides get climbing set from the pyramid, Old barbarian quest, forest like village/UC, PC, VD, and cleared out the assassin's guild 1st lvl but haven't got to the stairs. So any thought on what I need to do? or did wrong? or maybe something I did good for my lvl. Sorry I have only been playing this game for a week now, but am a veteran rougelike player since 2007. Thx in advanced.:cool:

Cactus
02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
You should do the pyramid immediately. If you reach the next level (17) you won't be able to enter anymore. The two artifacts you get from Rehetep are both very valuable.

grobblewobble
02-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Do portal quest, hope for a few delicious wight corpses to get that toughness up a bit.

edit: wait, you only got the climbing set from the pyramid and left.. what Cactus said, then.

brett13r
02-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Yea from what I gather if you reach lvl 17 while in the tomb you are able to come back at any time. Seeing how I dont have "detect traps" skill I was going to wait until I had some wands to make up for it. So far only found 1. And I have read all the religion stuff about adom but gaining enugh piety to precrown seems next to impossiable.

SirTheta
02-11-2014, 08:26 PM
You can only come back after xl 17 if you've killed Rehetep.

brett13r
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Oh ok, the wiki was a little misleading on that then, or I misread it. Is it advisable to go in without any form of detect traps. I put on fire res and acid res rings, also have fireproof and waterproof blankets. I don't know if there are cold traps but I have " White dragon-hide gauntlets" on which give cold res.

JellySlayer
02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
There aren't any cold traps. You are well-protected against traps. Detect traps skill is overrated and unnecessary (you have alertness anyway, which basically has the same effect).

brett13r
02-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Well I made it to Rehtep, killed 2 of the hardest looking enemies first with thunder arrows, then got cornered. Tried to dig into a wall: Doesn't work there I guess? Then used Holy symbol: Only one mummy ran. "Shambling mound" took a few hits to kill giving Rehetep time along with his mummies to tare me apart. Teleported then ran for the stairs while bleeding. Made it down with 5hp left all bandages were used up from that fight, so I tried to pray for a heal but I just did in the rehetep level so, No luck. " you loose blood, Bleeding stops, youdie...". Well it was my best run yet. I underestimated rehetep greatly. How can a lvl 16 complete this?

Anyone have any tips for my next run? This one took me 4-5 hours. Thx.
FINAL SCORE:51,635
TURNS:72,204 Dunno if this is high for this part of the game?

Superteeth
02-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Yes, that is a lot of turns for that point in the game (of course, I routinely win the game in around 120,000-150,000 turns, far from a speedrun or even a typical run). I don't know about Rehetep, I have never had problems with him. I would have thought you would have beaten Rehetep and his gang with the character you posted, but I guess you are still new to the game. Did you try using first aid after your bandages ran out? It has been buffed significantly compared to the older versions, so it is a good idea to use it after every hit you take against weak enemies to train it naturally (when it is safe to do so), and train it upon level up if you are getting good die rolls on it.

brett13r
02-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Well I spent a bit of time farming in the ID for better gear/scrolls/rings. And I just got swarmed and up until that point i was doing fine I even made it through the DH1 and 2. Idk maybe ill try first aid training next time

StViers
02-12-2014, 01:36 PM
If you have access to it, the wand of fireballs can save an unprepared PC at the top of the pyramid.

sylph
02-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Rehetep is highly flammable. :)

If your character doesn't have fire attacks, the lovely Thundarr particularly likes giving wands of fireballs out as quest rewards, and there are 2 fireball wand quests that can be completed before you tackle Rehetep. Outside of fighting Rehetep, a wand of fireballs is still extremely useful for crowd control, gauranteed unshrugged damage, and domestic cooking! It's an all-round really nice item to have (not quite as nice as a wand of teleportation, but not too far off).
Also, all characters can recharge wands once they find out what magic wands like to drink.

Here's a video of a recent slightly-rushed necromancer fighting Rehetep with fire magic. With a wand of fireballs, any character can replicate this (most characters do it more safely than a frail grey elf necromancer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VIK3CvFfFu4#t=4084

brett13r
02-12-2014, 07:17 PM
hmm, I should have assumed that seeing how he is a mummy pretty much lol. Are you talking about the guy in dwarf town when you type in quests? And you can recharge wands by dipping them in certin potions? And I assume digging into the wall you cant do? because I tried to and wasted a valuable turn lol. Also thankyou everyone for the advice, I'm a little new to this game so I appreciate your patience and help. :)

Joe
02-13-2014, 03:24 PM
If you don't have fire it also works well to fight yourself asap into one of the top corners were only 2 monsters at a time can reach you. If you manage to get some noob goblin or orc next to you it's a very safe spot to melee the rest to death with a reasonably good weapon (the sword in your post was good enough for this) and some emergency healing.