PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Domains Quest Editor

yisk
03-26-2008, 01:15 PM
I see that world of JADE is the best platform for creating quest/adventure scenario. It would be possible to make the simple condition-action map editor with functions of saving and playing maps and campaigns. Call this program for example "JADE Stories". Thousands map-makers gives a hundreds good and funny mini-games. And popularity of "JADE Stories" will be amazing. May be it allready planning?

Epythic
03-26-2008, 01:43 PM
In short: no.

It would be possible to make the simple condition-action map editor with functions of saving and playing maps and campaigns.
You are not a programmer, right? This is not simple. Its a lot of work.

Thousands map-makers gives a hundreds good and funny mini-games.
I will tell you what you would get: tons of crap.

ADOM/JADE are about complexity and details. Not minigames.

And popularity of "JADE Stories" will be amazing.
No it would not. It would not be JADE anymore, I don't even think it would be a roguelike. It would be another javagame for small kids.

May be it allready planning?
What do you want to tell us?

yisk
03-26-2008, 02:26 PM
It needn't to be a programmer for creating WC3 campaigns... JADE world now looks like a random generated Heroes3 map. A game without sense, simply a big endless dungeon. Isnt it?

Macros
03-26-2008, 02:45 PM
/me also votes for NO. As Epythic said:

ADOM/JADE are about complexity and details. Not minigames.

Epythic
03-26-2008, 02:52 PM
It needn't to be a programmer for creating WC3 campaigns...
No. But you know, WC3 took multiple years to program, had a multimillion dollar budget and lots of full-time paid developers.

And as I said, it would not be JADE anymore. Why have 20 pre-made stories when JADE can make 30 for you, and integrate them all into one world?

now
What you were shown is pre-alpha. Don't expect it to be ADOM++. Not yet.

By the way, there is more to do that just some dungeons, monsters and quests. Think about all the details in game mechanics.

moppit
03-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I agree with no also on a map/quest editor, although part of the idea struck me... Just to help Thomas out...

If he chose to keep smaller random quests in a data file that could be dynamically/randomly imported, he could
set up a template on the forums for people to write in proper importing format and then just choose ones he didn't think were crap to implement into the many smaller quests i am hoping jade is gonna have... cut and paste minor quests from the community would save our poor creator (whose task list grows exponentially every time I read the forum) a lot of typing....