PDA

View Full Version : Corpses rotting in 2-3 turns after they were generated when you pick them

mewmew
02-17-2014, 10:40 PM
Is it really intentional? It happened to me before when corpses of recently killed creatures rotted away right after I picked them but I usually didn't care till it happened with a corpse of blink dog which was like 35+th blink dog who I killed looking for that corpse. I killed the dog, moved to the next square, picked the corpse (I wanted to carry it away and to eat in safety) and on my next turn it rotted away. So the next corpse I ate from the ground, also all that slaughtering of dogs shifted my alignment -_-

heavensblade23
02-17-2014, 10:50 PM
It was probably generated cursed. B/U/C status affects how fast corpses rot.

anon123
02-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Sometimes they rot away before you can even pick them up.

Blasphemous
02-17-2014, 11:30 PM
This is a known issue and I have already filed an RFE about it (somebody else has done so as well IIRC).
Apparently corpses don't have a minimum time before rotting, irrespective of their B/U/C status and on rare occasion they will evaporate as soon as they appear, including blessed ones.
RFE's suggestion was to give corpses a minimum time of decomposition equal to 10-20 turns. It seems however that a lot of people don't see a problem here and it was down-voted by many. Bastards all of them :P

JellySlayer
02-18-2014, 04:15 AM
Blessed corpses don't disappear. Blessed corpses rot to uncursed, then to cursed. Only cursed corpses disappear. Rotting can happen randomly every turn, and your aren't notified of status changes on the ground, so a blessed corpse can still disappear in 3 turns, but if you watch carefully, you will see all corpses will always go B->U->C->gone.

[edit]My testing suggests that corpse lifetimes on the ground (w/o food pres) are pretty short. About 10% corpses will go from U->C->gone in 50 turns, and maybe 20-30% will rot from U->C in the same period. Blessed corpses can last considerably longer--a few hundred turns on the ground without rotting is not uncommon.

Stingray1
02-18-2014, 05:32 AM
One effective way to not have your alignment shift while hunting blink dogs is to have it at C- when starting the hunt.

Drifted
02-18-2014, 07:10 AM
I know the pain. In later releases blink dogs seem to more ethereal than before. Takes so many kills to get one measly corpse :( And when it drops another dog moves on the square and when you finally get to move there the corpse is gone.

mewmew
02-18-2014, 07:54 AM
IMHO ~2-3 turns it's too short to be realistic. If it's for a challenge then, well, w/e.