PDA

View Full Version : Awful Lawful. Screwed in the ToEF.

Tyrnyx
02-23-2014, 04:58 PM
So I noticed that the Dwarven mystic gives lawfuls a very fun axe. I also noticed that Thrundy has a chance to give lawfuls a shield instead of fourth quest gifts. I'm in a playthrough where I'm currently in possession of both. Rolf is awesome and his gear is great. But...

Those gifts make the fire temple way harder than the other gifts! I recognize that both give fire resistance, which is great but not terribly hard to come by most of the time. But not having a ring or blanket is a real downer. Taking a bit of damage vs. not having any gear to save yourself or even dig across the top (awful!) is the worst.

So now I'm in the position where I'll probably have to grind for one or the other. Sadness. If Thrundarr gave a guaranteed blanket of fire protection for either a different quest (perhaps the portal one) I think the balance would be better.

Now many people would say just be neutral. Usually I am. But I don't think that people who like to play lawfuls should get screwed. It's a just a blanket.

Unrelated I'm pretty sure, not positive, that a ring of ice is also protecting gear in the backpack. This isn't supposed to be happening is it?

Utnapishtim
02-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Unrelated I'm pretty sure, not positive, that a ring of ice is also protecting gear in the backpack. This isn't supposed to be happening is it?

Blessed ring of ice covers the stuff also, uncursed works only for equipment. Seems intentional. EDIT: Seems I have been misinformed about this, see SirTheta's reply below.

Usually by the ToEF one has found either a blanket (often I have three or four at that point) or a ring. If not, it's possible to first scout the way with artifacts/higher metal only, and then return bringing some digging wands and/or pickaxes, teleporting to the stairs, and hoping that one of the means of digging survives. Don't really think that getting the Rolf set, instead of ring/blanket, is getting "screwed".

I almost always do the inflammables-only-scouting run first anyway, at least if I don't have multiple blankets together with the ring. The blanket(s) can be destroyed in the tower.

Tyrnyx
02-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Blessed ring of ice covers the stuff also, uncursed works only for equipment. Seems intentional.

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. I always bless mine automatically. I just thought it was supposed to cover worn gear.

Usually by the ToEF one has found either blanket (often I have three or four at that point) or a ring.

I'm just impatient! :P. I guess this is true but i still think that the blanket should be a gift for killing Griff.

If not, it's possible to first scout the way with artifacts/higher metal only, and then return bringing some digging wands and/or pickaxes, and teleporting to the stairs, and hoping that one of the means of digging survives. Don't really think that getting the Rolf set, instead of ring/blanket, is getting "screwed".

Good plan. Doesn't mean it isn't frustrating. This is my gonna be my first and last lawful character all the same though :).

sylph
02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
My last win killed the ACW by kiting and throwing Rolf's axe while fire-immune, no ring of ice, no fireproof blanket. As Tyrnyx said, it's all about clearing the path first, then rushing in with digging items and getting the digging done as quickly as possible.

SirTheta
02-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Uncursed protects 50% of the time, blessed 95% of the time. Both protect worn equipment and pack.

grobblewobble
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
It is hard to tell how this will evolve in future versions of the game. There is going to be a Rolf quest..

Tyrnyx
02-24-2014, 04:30 PM
It was a pain because I ended up having to hunt down the scardy-cat. Personally I think certain orb gaurdians (all but the summoner) and all undead (unless intrisic) shouldn't be afraid of anything. Ever.

In the end it doesn't matter. I got the Platinum Girdle. So I never have to play a lawful ever again :).