PDA

View Full Version : How do pure wizards clear Mana Temple?

mewmew
02-25-2014, 03:51 AM
If they are constantly drained of all PP every turn and health casting severely abuses Wi and To?

Mobius
02-25-2014, 04:52 AM
If they are constantly drained of all PP every turn and health casting severely abuses Wi and To?

Most wizards are not pure? Also wands, potions, scrolls of power, etc. Stealth too. I just ran one, and didn't get fully drained every turn.

JellySlayer
02-25-2014, 07:03 AM
Praying for PP is very cost-effective in terms of piety in the lategame.

Carter
02-25-2014, 07:30 AM
scrolls of power also got a massive boost recently, i generally stockpile them for usage at the mana temple.

_Ln_
02-25-2014, 08:59 AM
If you do everything quickly, you'll lose 1 point of To and 1 point of Wi on level-up after killing archmage with any amount of HP-casting - IIRC negative training resets after negative stat change.

mewmew
02-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Ty, I see. So, praying, scrolls and possible health casting.
I just was surprised when I visited it with my archer and had 0 PP for the whole clearing, I remembered that wizards are considered as an easy class and I want to run either wizard or bard next, but with such ridiculous temple...

Blasphemous
02-25-2014, 09:17 AM
There is an alternative method.
When you enter MT level, do not kill anything.
Do not touch any existing tension rooms or cast any spells and only use wand of digging to reach the temple exterior.
Be invisible, have stealth 100, stealthy talent and detect all traps. Do not have hate aura or any item sources that replicate its effect.
Do not activate any traps at all, preferably disable them all with a spell or just avoid with high alertness and high Dx.
As long as the magebane/doom eyes don't detect you (and they shouldn't if you followed the above suggestions), your PP pool is safe.
You can pretty much enter the temple interior, walk towards Nurgy and stab him in the ass.
Then acidball everything with 48 or even 64 Wi.
You can also acid ball everything first and then stab Nurgy ;)
Typically, all the eyes should converge on you then since they are placed along the northern and southern walls and on the western wall close to the entrance.
If you are in the right spot and the blast radius of your acid ball is large enough, you can take out power drainers in 3-4 casts before they zero your PP.
I can vouch for this method on pre20, I've done it.
The slight problem is that you have to be a big-ass wizard to pull this off.
If you are a big-ass wizard, you don't need to do this at all, you can just wield aotme and 50 PV and melee everything except Nurgy.
Hell, you can melee the archmage too, I know I've done it. He drops in 4-5 shots at 50 St and berserking with aotme.
With mentioned Wi score, stat draining is a no-brainer.

Utnapishtim
02-25-2014, 11:51 AM
One option not mentioned yet: Even if you get already drained when approaching the temple via the trap corridor, you can just go in crowdsurfing and kill the eyes first in melee. Have done this a couple of times, and it's quite possible to get rid of almost all of the eyes before Nuurag activates. Even after he does, it is possible to use the crowds as flesh shields and kill still some further eyes. This does require some melee capabilities, but should be doable for most wizards at this point, unless you play some kind of challenge where you are really not using melee or missiles at all.

If you are somewhat successful in this, it's fairly easy to regain most of your PP for facing Nuurag, especially if you have cleared the upper part of the temple and then retreat to the corridor above.

SirTheta
02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
I've been under those conditions before and still been drained, I don't think it is at all foolproof. The best option is to pray or have scrolls/crystals of power. You'll find plenty through the game.

anon123
02-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Wands and melee is how I've done it. Once you've taken on the chaos wizards, it shouldn't take long. Also, the uberjackal effect is gone, so killing lots of orange Cs doesn't make them more powerful than the Archmage.

High Wi helps you resist PP draining attacks even if the eyes have already noticed you, so drinking some blessed potions of boost willpower is worthwhile. Or maybe you can use them to acid ball Nuurgy from the other side of the east wall :p