PDA

View Full Version : Monks hugely under-rated?

magpie
03-12-2014, 03:56 PM
I've played a Monk to level 18 - easily downed the Water Temple, Pyramid, Graveyard(s). Sure, this is an Orcish monk who started with something like 25 in both Strength and Toughness, but even so, this game has been a cruise so far - haven't even felt like I was in danger at any point.

The level 18 class power is amazing! It lets kite everything in the game (bar quicklings, who aren't much of a threat at present) while shooting it to death if it's too threatening to take on with fists (which are at 1d26+22 with Normal tactics right now). Plus, no minuses to learning missile skills, either, unlike Beastfighters and Duelists! Plus, the crucial corruption factor - I haven't even picked up a single corruption yet. Usually, I get my first corruption in or around the Water Temple.

As is kicking down walls like they're made of cardboard - this is a great way to avoid fighting stuff you get sandwiched in-between in corridors (cats, for one thing), and it lets you bypass trapped doors as well.

Plus, I was crowned with the Robes of Resistance - possibly the best crowning gift I've received in any game I've played. Light, massive PV, and with resistances!

Two questions:

1: Are monks considered to be a 'top tier' melee class in ADOM? My experiences this game certainly lead me to think they should be

and

2: Is there any point where they face any particular challenges or road-blocks by virtue of the fact that they are Monks? So far it's been smooth sailing - I've been careful, mind you, but it makes me think, this is too good to be true, and the ride's going to get bumpy at some point. When will that point come?

I'm about ready to hit the ToEF - I just want to get some stuff (my ring of ice for one thing) blessed beforehand.

JellySlayer
03-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Monks are considered pretty good. They have a strong skillset and excellent class powers. They are decent casters given half a chance as well. Their main concern is only in the very early game--they start with little food, no money, and terrible equipment (1 PV unless you have monster starting To), and, unlike most characters in this situation, can't true berserk their way out of it.

Monks are quite versatile--you can happily ditch fighting unarmed and use a slaying weapon or equip full plate armor if you find it. I almost never play monks unarmed, as it happens. You're usually better off with a weapon/shield combo, or a two-handed weapon (Monk with rune-covered trident is a great way to go!) Likewise, unless I'm lucky enough to get something like robes of resistance, my monks will happily use dragon scale armor or whatever I can find.

SirTheta
03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
1: Are monks considered to be a 'top tier' melee class in ADOM? My experiences this game certainly lead me to think they should beBefore introduction of duelists, I considered monks to be best melee class in ADOM. Assassins were a close second. Minus energy cost is very powerful - and duelists have very good crowning gifts - so I usually give them edge now, once you get them going at least. I prefer monks since they have less restrictions though (cow axe! :D)

2: Is there any point where they face any particular challenges or road-blocks by virtue of the fact that they are Monks? So far it's been smooth sailing - I've been careful, mind you, but it makes me think, this is too good to be true, and the ride's going to get bumpy at some point. When will that point come?As JS notes, early game is only place problem pops up. Once you get them rolling, they steamroll everything. They're tons of fun to play.

Blasphemous
03-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Yep, early game was a problem. My last monk was grey elven one so I had double issues with To and St.
After some morgia training and running around very strained, those issues became irrelevant.
My monk was swinging an eternium two-handed sword found fairly early; I never play unarmed.
I got so used to kicking down walls that when I played a mindcrafter next, I kept wondering why the walls don't crumble, then remembered I'm not a monk :D
Also, I ran out of SoCRs around D:50. Normally, I'd just keep on moving but after clearing a giant vault and a normal one, my monk had two magical writing sets and more than ten uncursed potions of water to generate blank scrolls.
I just wrote all the SoCRs that I needed without any cost of mana :)
Without any loss of mana, I could continue casting occasional spells and stab things with my eternium tool.

PS. Now that you mentioned monks, I think I'm gonna roll another one ;)

grobblewobble
03-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Imo they are only really good with a strong race like dwarf, drake or orc. With a weak race you have a really bad early game.

Blasphemous
03-12-2014, 09:26 PM
I love bad early games. If a char survives that, the power I get later more than makes up for the problems before.
Part the reason I almost exclusively play elves. It also virtually ensures that I don't die later because everything gets easier after you survive the early game.
My last monk maxed out all the most important skills at around lvl 20, thanks to high 25+ Le.
Also, no big problems learning spells from books and then effectively casting them with 25+ Ma.
Herbalism and gardening largely cover healing and toughness, meticulousness while exploring dungeons yields enough potions of toughness, potential and poga to push it to 25.
I can hold 6 meleeing ghost lords and not worry about age ;]

mewmew
03-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Plus, no minuses to learning missile skills, either, unlike Beastfighters and Duelists! Plus, the crucial corruption factor - I haven't even picked up a single corruption yet. Usually, I get my first corruption in or around the Water Temple.

beastfighters don't have any penalty for learning missile weapon afaik. also i think monks get their corruption resistance at lvl 50 only

Carter
03-13-2014, 01:42 AM
I don't play them much purely because when i play melee i want a char that will be an absolute beast with a slaying weapon and full armor. But in terms of options etc monks are probably top of the pops.