PDA

View Full Version : Old Barbarian quest to slay more of my First Kill

Cielo
03-16-2014, 05:51 PM
I have no idea what my first kill was... I went into the small cave entrance to the northwest of Terinyo. I might have got in a fight on the way or I might have killed the first creature I saw in there. Is there any way I can find out what my first kill was? I checked my killed monsters list but they are in alphabetical order.

Utnapishtim
03-16-2014, 06:23 PM
There is no easy way of finding out later what the first kill was.
My preferred method is to rename the PC. So if the first kill is a rat, my PC will be renamed from Foo to Foo (r), until the Old Barbarian quest is done.

Joe
03-16-2014, 06:35 PM
There is no way to find out, but if you made your first kill in the small cave it must be a fairly common monster. Probably some sort of rat, orc, goblin or a skeleton. If you want to do the barbarians quest you can either just keep playing and get it automatically or (if you're in a hurry) get into the infinite dungeon and wander on the first 5 levels killing everything on sight for a while.

mewmew
03-17-2014, 03:01 AM
I personally don't like renaming, I prefer to press &, type the first monster which I killed and try not to forget to retype it when I use & for other monsters... but usually I simply play and kill the first kill 20 times naturally.

JellySlayer
03-17-2014, 03:16 AM
There is one way, but it's a bit tedious. Kill a monster of the type you think is likely (and, importantly, don't kill other monsters). Go back and talk to barbarian. If he says something like "A bit lazy, aren't we?", then it's the wrong monster. If he says "You need more", then it's the right one. The small cave only has about 10 monsters for level 1 characters--rats, giant rats, goblins, goblin rockthrowers, kobolds, rabid dogs, wild cats, etc. A few of these, eg. cats, you probably know whether or not it was your first kill.

mewmew
03-17-2014, 09:54 AM
If you play a bard and don't want to rename yourself you always can charm some animal, name it after your first kill and leave it in Terinyo or Holeinthewall (this way you can use it as a beggar killer). Bards are sure one of the most fun classes.

Utnapishtim
03-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Brilliant idea, although I'll be applying it a bit differently, in a way that does not require you to play a bard.

You talk to giant rat, the tiny girl...

Cielo
03-18-2014, 11:48 PM
I went into the infinite cavern to gain XP, so I looked it up in the guidebook, and it said Filk will appear on the level # that is equal to the number of kills you have for your First Kill. I made it to level 21 before it got too rough to go on, and I never saw Filk. So I looked at my killed monsters list and I think I narrowed it down to either a goblin slavemaster or a bandit. Oh... so does anyone know where I might go to find 20 of these guys?

mewmew
03-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Filk quest it's late game, you actually can finish game by the time when you can even get that quest. Goblin slavemaster... umm, I'd stairhop in ID something around I2-I3 or I1-I2 or I3-I4, not sure exactly where (stay on the stairs and go up-down till you meet one, it's faster than exploring levels, it was fixed for item grinding but not for monster grinding). There is a plenty of bandits in the bandit town and they respawn there.

Ozma777
06-12-2016, 04:16 AM
I personally don't like renaming, I prefer to press &, type the first monster which I killed and try not to forget to retype it when I use & for other monsters... but usually I simply play and kill the first kill 20 times naturally.

holy crap!!!!!!!!!! I never knew '&' command even exsisted.....

I usually have a text file with the first kill at the top
followed by my SMC to exit SMC/UD status (in case I haven't played that specific character in a while)
where I have stashed my stuff (usually Old Barbarians Glade away on the other side of him)
followed by POOL Locations and sometimes FORGE locations if my character can use forges
followed by Dwarven Quest status (since it doesn't show in quests page)
including how many times left before Arena Champion (in case I need extra food money but don't want to go back and sell si's)
Later on I add how close I am to finishing Tomb of the High Kings or Starting The Rift (or finishing it)
as well as all the other locations as I am getting ready to do them or have done them.

Phoobnahr
06-18-2016, 08:09 AM
You talk to giant rat, the tiny girl...

That's exactly how I always remember my first kill, though since I also always get said kill in the outlaw village, she's usually named Bandit or Outlaw or Assassin or some such.