PDA

View Full Version : Companions in the ToEF?

Bringer of Doom
03-20-2014, 07:14 PM
I think I read somewhere that companions can turn hostile in the ToEF because of the fire damage. Does this happen? My bro is kinda useful, I'd rather not fight him while fighting the ACW if I can avoid it.

JellySlayer
03-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Companions will not take fire damage on TF:1-3. If they are not fire immune, they will take damage on TF:4. The problem is that the damage is pretty severe (presumably 10 per turn). As a result, chances are all but the most powerful companions will be dead/panicking long before you are able to get to the ACW. Panicking pets may well attack you.

If you really feel you need your pet for the ACW, and your pet is not fire immune, you can lure the ACW downstairs, though this may be nontrivial to do in practice.

Bringer of Doom
03-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks. I wish I could give him my crown of fire since, somewhat ironically, I'm crowned with fire immu anyway.

Bringer of Doom
03-20-2014, 08:23 PM
My emperor lich is taking damage on TF:1 btw so I'm not sure what the conditions for this (Companions will not take fire damage on TF:1-3) are.

In mildly related news, would he drown in the water dragon's lair?

Superteeth
03-20-2014, 08:49 PM
An emperor lich companion will eventually be the death of you. Just wait until it turns on you and casts death ray. As far as I know, undead do not take drowning damage. I may be wrong, though.

Bringer of Doom
03-20-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm armed with all the relevant resistances and on demand teleportation in case things turn sour. I've got enough hp to not get one-hitted by death ray so I'm cool.

Harwin
03-20-2014, 09:19 PM
I'd still name him "Damocles"

JellySlayer
03-21-2014, 01:44 AM
Might be that emperor liches always take damage because they have are weak against fire.

Or it may be that only companions summoned in the tower get that immunity. I don't remember. I usually use my SoFS in the Tower.

Harwin
03-21-2014, 01:53 AM
Might be that emperor liches always take damage because they have are weak against fire.

Or it may be that only companions summoned in the tower get that immunity. I don't remember. I usually use my SoFS in the Tower.

I used an SoFS on the top floor and definitely got a non-fire immune companion.

JellySlayer
03-21-2014, 02:11 AM
What I said originally:

"Companions will not take fire damage on TF:1-3. If they are not fire immune, they will take damage on TF:4."

Soirana
03-21-2014, 02:14 AM
If you really feel you need your pet for the ACW, and your pet is not fire immune, you can lure the ACW downstairs
I would not be so sure about "can" part.

SirTheta
03-21-2014, 02:28 AM
AFAIK, monsters generated in the tower are immune to its heat - this is why frost giants don't get burned to death if you encounter a threat room of them. This includes SOFS, and extends to other levels - all monsters generated on Mana Temple level don't trigger traps, that kind of stuff [not sure if that extends to SOFS there]. I guess maybe this is not true for the top floor, but I thought monsters in threat rooms there didn't die off either, so maybe just some weirdness w/ SOFS.

JellySlayer
03-21-2014, 05:41 AM
I would not be so sure about "can" part.

Doesn't work anymore? That's too bad.

Stingray1
03-21-2014, 09:19 AM
I don't think temple monsters leave the temple level downstairs, mana temple monsters definitely trigger traps(not sure whether it is perhaps only the summoned ones).

SirTheta
03-21-2014, 09:34 AM
p. sure summons work differently, yeah - pit vipers will happily trigger traps, for instance, but if you encounter a goblin in MT trapped hallway, it won't trigger anything unless panicking.