PDA

View Full Version : Issues with eating killer bugs and greater claw bugs

Blasphemous
03-30-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure if this should be classed as RFE or a bug (or if the behavior is intentional) but:

I had a character with 20 willpower (25 potential) and 27 dexterity (35 potential).
I ate several corpses of bugs mentioned in the title.
The result was that my willpower went all the way down to 1 while dexterity was unchanged at all.

I don't think this is fair.
I understand that there is a soft cap of 25 for all stats and training beyond this number is somewhat difficult.
However, eating bugs has always been an exchange - massive Wi loss for significant Dx increase.

I see two ways to deal with that:

1) If dexterity doesn't get increased after eating a bug (simply if Dx is already 25+), don't lower willpower value either.
This makes their corpses behave much the same as most other corpses - they only provide satiation value.

2) My second suggestion is to allow increase of dexterity beyond 25 by eating bug corpses.
This way the tradeoff is still there - you lose willpower, you gain dexterity.

Some other things worth considering:
Perhaps the chance to increase Dx beyond certain number could be increasingly smaller to prevent reaching 99 Dx with ease?
Also, there could be another mechanism to prevent PCs from excessive consumption of beetle flesh - if a bug is eaten while willpower is already at 1, the PC dies.
The reasoning behind this could be summed up as "You have lost the will to live/carry on. You die..."
This would force players to implement some way to raise willpower before eating another bug.
Of course, morgia is readily available, easy to get and eat to train willpower, but it will require significant amount of time (real and game-world as well as turncount), especially if herbalism is not present or the skill value is low.
In the end, you don't only trade willpower for dexterity but also a lot of time necessary to bring willpower back to reasonable levels (20+).

Another solution could be that aside from willpower stat decrease, its potential is also decreased (by 1) each time a bug is eaten.
It would force players to consider how many bugs they can eat and still retain some reasonable willpower score, which still has to be retrained back to some of its previous value.

What do you think?

SirTheta
03-30-2014, 03:04 PM
This is fine as is. You take your chances and the speed is the best part anyway.

Blasphemous
03-30-2014, 04:25 PM
There is a speed increase too? I didn't know that.
Still, I don't think this is a balanced exchange.

JellySlayer
03-30-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure this behaviour is intentional. It's been this way since before 1.1.1 IIRC, and this change was specifically designed to prevent maxing Dx via corpses.