PDA

View Full Version : spellbook of Wish from the start of the game

Dlightfull
04-18-2014, 11:48 AM
LOL. Just generated a Gray Elf wizard who got a spellbook of Wish from the start. 21 Le, 24 Ma. I think i won't be able to read it.

Should i keep it for the mid/late game? Or should i try to learn it asap and get some wishes?

Tyrnyx
04-18-2014, 12:46 PM
I personally have never read the book. However, first, I'm fairly certain that the ability to learn spells is somehow correlated to your character level (but not positive on this). Second, I'm guessing you would need a delicious room to keep yourself from starving to learn it. Third, a character that low almost certainly couldn't handle the -10 to stat penalty from casting it. Fourth, and lastly, your character would kill themselves, from PP and HP pools being so small, trying to cast the spell without the decreases the come from being a high level wizard.

Wishes are awesome. The spell however has so many drawbacks that it's just not worth it in most circumstances.

Pretty cool that you generated it on level one though.

Blasphemous
04-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Wizards start with herbalism. Get stomafillia herbs, eat uncursed one, wait till satiation drops from bloated to satiated then eat a blessed one.
Make sure literacy and concentration are at 100, you're not burdened and not wearing any artifacts, then read it, preferably bless the book first too.
Reading it should provide tremendous boost to learning, equal to maybe 5 consecutive increases of Le stat on subsequent checks.
One read will not use it up and you can still sell it for 5 digit sums.

You have absolutely no chance of actually casting the wish and surviving, it takes a fully blown lvl 50 wizard with mana orb and maybe TotRR to pull it off effectively but the learning bonus alone from just reading it might be worth it.

EDIT: One more thing, if you intend to cast (or bookcast more likely) the wish in the future, it's all or nothing - there is no point casting it once because the -10 random stat drop is worth around 2 wishes so you're still on the loss.
You can however make an archmage and cast it several hundred times but that is an entirely different story ;)
As it is, the spellbook is just a very expensive piece of paper right now.

anon123
04-18-2014, 04:07 PM
The best thing you can do with that book for the time being is selling it to Barnabas. You'll get a decent amount of gold, and it will remain safe there until/if you return later to buy it back and use it.