PDA

View Full Version : Book loss mechanics

andonuts
04-23-2014, 04:18 PM
This is a rather base question, but I didn't see anything which answered it on the wikis or guidebooks anywhere, so I'm asking it here.

Why do my books "disappear" after I read them a number of times? I understand that can happen as a result of misreading, but I was playing a Mist Elf Wizard, and my learning stat was absurd; i never failed once.
Is it a set number of reads (dependent on the book or not if it is) or is is completely random. I thought this might have something to do with B/U/C, but I didn't try that before my character died at level 10.

Stingray1
04-23-2014, 04:38 PM
I believe it is a die roll when you first read the book, misreads don't deduct wrong the rolled number. I believe it to be independent of B/U/C. Somebody will shortly probably elaborate on what the exact die is.

andonuts
04-23-2014, 04:47 PM
If it is decided when the book is read, my next question is as to whether this means that it is just as good for a character with higher learning to use up all of his books; then you needn't carry them around in the early game and can have more inventory mobility.

biomateria
04-23-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it is common strategy to read them out in almost all situations anyways. It's more of an exception when you don't want to read out a book.

JellySlayer
04-23-2014, 05:55 PM
I believe that books are generated with a counter that specifies the number of times that they can be read (successfully or not), after which point they will disappear.

Near the beginning of the game it is usually better not to read out your books unless your learning is very, very high. If you don't know the spell at all, a single reading could net you a few hundred castings, but subsequent readings may only net you 20-50 castings each. You are more successful at reading as you gain levels, so it's better to wait if you can. Some books are worth saving for bookcasting too, if you're into that sort of thing.

I usually just read books once or twice then leave them in a safe area until I need to refill. I avoid reading out useful books until at least level 10-12.

_Ln_
04-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I believe it is a die roll when you first read the book, misreads don't deduct wrong the rolled number. I believe it to be independent of B/U/C. Somebody will shortly probably elaborate on what the exact die is.

It's 2d3 :D

andonuts
04-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Near the beginning of the game it is usually better not to read out your books unless your learning is very, very high.

What is "very, very high?" I've had ME Wizards which start with absurd learning scores.

JellySlayer
04-23-2014, 08:44 PM
With Le close to 30, you can probably get enough charges out of reading your early books that it makes little difference, though if it's a high-value spell (eg. teleport), I'd still be tempted to hold on to it rather than read it out.

Blasphemous
04-26-2014, 03:58 PM
He's playing a wizard. If he runs out of his spellbook of teleportation, he will soon find 3 more.
As soon as a wizard hits 100 concentration and has 20+ learning (which mostly happens around lvl 7-8), all spellbooks should be read completely until they disappear.
Eventually library will be available with every spell and this can be exploited with guaranteed crown of science for the net outcome of 1k+ charges for each and every spell in the game.
Other characters are better off stashing their books for future bookcasting but not wizards. Wizards should not carry any spellbooks around, and should read them asap.

Dlightfull
04-27-2014, 04:54 AM
Even as a wizard, i would carry at least a Strength of Atlas Spellbook around :).

RNG can be a real biatch sometimes, so i would rather stay on the safe side.

Deathwind
05-04-2014, 03:06 AM
I tend to run my wizards as book casters. I find it really helps in the early game as a single book cast bolt spell will clear most halls and I cast from memory only if I'll need to cast several spells back to back.

Once you find a good non-combat book you will never have trouble maxing out mana as you will always be charging PP.