PDA

View Full Version : Out of practice, got my hopes up

Tim James
07-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I have played ADOM for a decade but never won without save scumming. Closest I got was reaching D:50 legitimately and having to use a couple of backups. I haven't played in years but decided to really make an effort this time. There have been a lot of new insights since the last time I played so I put those spoilers to good use, and used the easy Archer class to make a run. Two bow users died in the early midgame but this slinging hurthling seemed unstoppable for no particular reason at all -- no lucky items or good fortune, just straightforward play with an archer.

I reached the Mana Temple and cleared out the first half of the room. Then the Archmage showed up but I was able to make it to the hallway. I even read up about him beforehand, had a death ray amulet and humanoid slaying ammo, but made a few key mistakes all due to being out of practice for years:

I forgot he was invisible and had to change rings.

I forgot the phial used power points and kept using it over and over wondering what was going on.

I forgot to go Coward when he showed up; clearly the way to be when you're an archer with slaying ammo.

He got some hits in and then finally blasted me with energy from about 150 HP. I thought about praying but figured it would be no problem to dodge around the corner first. The reason I had no healing potions? Earlier in the dungeon I accidentally picked up all my items with poison hands, including the thick gauntlets I had left on the ground for the Air Temple.

I reloaded a backup just for fun. Killed him in 4 hits as he sat picking up items.

Tens of hours wasted for lack of a torch and the roguelike mechanic of no reloads. Really, what's the point? Time to shelve it for a few more years.

Tim James
07-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Just "won" with my backup from the Mana Temple. Painfully easy with an archer. Biggest challenge is making myself continue to reload ammunition instead of quitting out of boredom.

That makes two normal victories with a single save scum. Rather than grind through an inevitable victory (now that I'm back in practice) I'm going to retire the archer class and go for an ultra ending a few months or years down the road. That was the long-term plan all along, so no need to cry over this unnecessary "death."

Epythic
07-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Really, what's the point? Time to shelve it for a few more years.

Just "won" with my backup from the Mana Temple.

Looks like you got the point.
It's damn addictive :D

_Ln_
07-03-2009, 08:45 PM
When I started playing ADoM I thought that it can't be beaten at all. Then I discovered the community which had a large amount of winners. I thought they were incredible people =) And then I've won myself (5 wins by now) and now I think that you can beat anything with some luck, knowledge and lack of overconfidence and stupidity =) You see, you've got to Mana Temple, but forgot a light source. Next time you won't and probably win without backuping ;)

P.S. About forgetting a light source - I did it on a Chaos Plane once. Then I took off my armor instead of Medal of Chaos. Then I took off my ring of TCtrl and learned that you can teleport there (who would ever think?). And then I transformed into WMoPC.

Grey
07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Helpful tip for the Mana Temple: wear the ancient mummy wrapping that you get from the pyramid early on. It gives both death ray resistance and see invisible. This way your ring slots are more free, and your neck is open for an amulet of light (essential for an archer).

Still, best of luck next time :) ADOM requires a lot of preparation before difficult areas, so remember to think carefully in future. I'd also suggest not keeping backup saves, since it gives the temptation to play a little more recklessly. Dump the habit altogether and you'll become a better player overnight.