PDA

View Full Version : Question: How does one get xp? Warning-spoilers.

Sad Death Generator
05-15-2014, 04:43 AM
I'm playing a troll bard in v 1.1.1.
I've hit D48 and cleared the blue dragon caves (and then killed an extra 100 ancient blues or so because I have wyrmslayer and I need xp) and I'm going for my first ultra. I've got the medal and crown. The problem is, I'm still level 35. I have plenty of corruption removal (I was fortunate enough to get a ton of writing sets) and I'm in the process of cleaning out my last vault (undead). I even emptied a big tension room full of greater molochs. In short, I need roughly a brazilian gillian
xp to level up this troll. Like 29,000,000, accurately... I'm crowned L+, so I am somewhat constrained.

My tools for leveling up: a couple rings (2) of djinni summoning to burn, most spells to some extent (no monster summon), a character that sometimes accidentally knocks over brick outhouses, and a few of pretty much every type of item you can think of.

I don't want to do anything particularly dirty; I'm trying to refrain. I'm willing to take some reasonable risks to level up fast. What I want to know is this: What methods would you use? Dive deeply into ID? Summon ACW in small cave and kill it while slowed?? Greater Molochs at the bottom of the blue dragon caves??? Fight goblins in level one of the village dungeon?????

Silfir
05-15-2014, 07:38 PM
I guess you wish for emperor molochs, and make sure to Slow Monster yourself while you murder them. I *think* at least that gives more xp per wish than AKWs. On the other hand, it's more dangerous, because if they pick up moloch armor and equip it they're probably going to murder you unless you stand in an inaccessible space. So if you can slay tons of greater molochs while standing on a self-made island in the old barbarian's glade (Magic Missile), that would be safest.

I haven't used either AKWs or emperor moloch wishes for XP before myself so I can't quantify the payout. I don't particularly care about ultra endings and I think I would rather sit on a grumpy rabid badger than do one with a troll.

Sad Death Generator
05-15-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm fond of trolls. There is a different cadence to play that suits me. They are more likely to survive early game and their slower leveling allows me to prepare more of my skills before getting the lvl 25 bard bonus (it is basically half a dozen scrolls of education). I'm trying to get all skills all at 100. Then I'm going to wear the crown of science and try reading the weird tome. Right now I'm short 3 skills (Alchemy, Detect Item Status, Necromancy) and have half a dozen ranging from 15-90. Looks like I have plenty of time to get the missing ones...

Anyway, I have insufficient wishes to get to level 45 by any method I know of so I went ahead and am doing an ID dive. I just killed MaLaKaL and have managed to find a couple of AKWs without wishing for them already and got a RoDS and a magical writing set. I'm at 2 million xp so far in the dive; I'll try to hit ID level 80 or go lower if I find some extra corruption removal

Joe
05-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Wishing for Emperor Moloch does indeed give most xp in my experience and is relatively safe with a penetrating weapon. Just make sure to pick up any hulking armor they drop (so keep SoA running if you have it).

Sad Death Generator
05-16-2014, 03:10 AM
Instead I did an ID dive. It went pretty well: I picked up two RoDS and a magical writing set on the way down and gained three levels from slowing myself and killing a few ACW, titans, and a greater titan. Made it to 101, used the writing set to make 4 SoCR and hid the RoDS inside my elemental gauntlets to prevent destruction, and started heading up. then I got cocky and started playing fast. I died to some giants in the mid 60s. I keep forgetting that the ID can kill me when I'm leaving it....

Sad Death Generator
05-30-2014, 03:03 PM
update: I rolled a new character and am diving the ID for xp again. This time I have boots of slow shuffle. If I slow myself before killing a greater moloch, I get 1.5 million xp. This is by far the best xp gains I can find. So if you need a whooooole lot of xp off of just one wish (or zero if you have the boots), the most efficient way I've found is to get boots of slow shuffle.
I'll bet getting strained! and bloated would drive it up even more. Has anyone checked on the effect of very, very low speed on xp? Is there a strong curve the lower you go?