PDA

View Full Version : Blink dogs on strike

divij
05-19-2014, 08:56 AM
hello laymen and gentle ladies
damn these communist blink dogs...they are on strike
i have tried searching for one for 1 HOUR with no luck
no wishes no ring of teleport control nothing!!
you see i wanted to do pool sipping for a wish (that i got!!) but it also gave me teleportis and i lost my tp controll
so i have been searching for a blink dog for 1 hour now and am on the verge of giving up
im playing gnomish elementalist with imba stats crowned with havlor and i dnt think ne1 can defeat me now...but i dnt want to scum a lot
i cleared the tothk no problem and stayed there some more for a bd
b4 that i went to ID and stayed there on id3 and id4 for 15 minutes and now im back there
is there something im doing wrong?
or am i getting terribly unlucky
i know il b able to extract a corpse from them no problemo (naming the first blink dog etc. etc.)
but im not finding 1 and i cannot realisticaly complete the game with uncontrolled tp.
ne suggestions will b appreciated.

Kordianus
05-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Big room in CoC. Sooner or later one will pop up. The room has much increased monster generation rate so you will find one sooner than in other location. Also, TP is not as annoying there since there are no corridors so it doesn't matter where you get teleported to. Give it a try and in the process you will also find tons of other useful common items like potions of water etc. Just watch out for vortices... (although you probably have fire and shock resistance due to class powers)

Blasphemous
05-19-2014, 11:47 AM
I usually focus on ID:4/5 stairhopping when I need a blinkie.
Descend -> w5 -> ascend -> w5.
It will eventually show up. Uncontrolled teleportitis however makes it more than annoying.
There might be a problem if you're L too, since then blinks are neutral and I noticed they are slightly less willing to teleport anywhere close to you when they are neutral.
You might try polymorphing rings, hoping for a teleport control.
They are relatively low DL (8 or below) and if you don't have blessed potions of exchange, you can always use the Moon Sickle to create PoRC from useless potions and dip rings one by one.
Desperate measure and dangerous but viable in certain circumstances.

grobblewobble
05-19-2014, 01:42 PM
There might be a problem if you're L too, since then blinks are neutral and I noticed they are slightly less willing to teleport anywhere close to you when they are neutral.
You might try polymorphing rings, hoping for a teleport control.
They're also less willing to stay alive if you're lawful. :P Better be N or C, yeah.

divij
05-19-2014, 02:43 PM
yeah 10 minutes after i osted this thread i found a yellow d haha! neways final update...ofcourse this character made it to d50 (my characters never die mid game). there he made a blunder....he 'found' the secret door which connect the bottom place where the gate is there to the middle section and got surrounded by balors
also he had rune covered trident but no training in it since he just reached lvl 36 and no dexterity thanks to nuuragwaan. so neways he got a acid spit corruption and cud kill some balors and lvld up affinity with thrown spears and strong thrower but alas it was not enuf. he died while he was 'heavily corrupted' to a balor hit
it was as if he was destined to win but i some how pulled defeat from the jaws of victory :)

mimhoff
05-19-2014, 04:12 PM
yeah 10 minutes after i osted this thread i found a yellow d

So... was it a cooshoo or a hyena?

divij
05-19-2014, 07:08 PM
i had seen hyenas b4 when i needed bd corpse...they got me hopes up and then...
neways history repeats itself...1st corruption is astral planes...have seen smc ud1-8 coc1-15 but no bd.. iam currently at 2nd lvl of pyramid where the corruption traps gave me astral planes corruption and now i need to gtfo of there else more traps
but atleast i have the early game quests to do so high(?) chance of spawning a bd
am a lvl 13 drakish deulist so keethrax will be 1 shot and pc is a blast too..mayb ant corpse?
neways will keep this thread updated with what happens next but now im off to sleep...its 1am here and i needs to goto work else me boss will execute me

Edit: if ne1 wondering how i got corrupted so fast....hear this.....ur hair will stand on its edge....i got PARALYSED by a ghul on d6 and a wmopc generated by a corruption trap wailed on me for 6-7 turns. fortunately the ghul was displaced by said wmopc since it was a choke and i came out of paralysis. I WAS E1 SLOWED ...thankfull drakeling> wmopc+ghul and i killed them for a str8 lvlup and a half.
btw has drakeling been nerfed cause of ice queen lvl? i will miss this race else its my fav :(

Yinghei
05-19-2014, 07:54 PM
btw has drakeling been nerfed cause of ice queen lvl? i will miss this race else its my fav :(

I've been wondering that too. I don't want to spoil myself for p21+, but I do know there is an ice queen thing which has environmental ice effects somewhat like ToEF or D49. Considering how deadly cold is to drakelings, I wonder if anyone has managed to clear get through the ice queen area with one? They are probably one of the easiest races to play for now at least, with good physical stats and spit attack for early game survival, two awesome skills, and not so much penalty to casting stats.

Maul
05-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Depends. What is the reward of this ice queen thing? What's the point? How essential is it to complete a post-pre20 game? Since I'm yet to play any such game, I'd appreciate if someone could sum it up quickly, maybe in spoilers to protect the others who don't want to be spoiled.

shockeroo
05-19-2014, 10:36 PM
I've not taken a Drakeling to the Ice Queen domain, so I don't know how bad it is for them. The rewards are very nice, but not at all essential in any way.

(Reward info behind spoiler.)
Her first quest gives some potions of cure corruption. Her second gives some nice stat boosts (+2-3 on several/all stats(?); definitely the physical ones). You can also do the chaos quest to kill her for some okayish gear.

Yinghei
05-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I know it's optional, so it wouldn't affect winning, but it would be really interesting to see how a drakeling would do in there. D49 and white dragons are bad enough, so having constant slowing from the environment could be very tough. If there's no level requirement for entering, maybe this could be like a new brimstone challenge - Immediately go to ice queen after starting a drakeling and escape with [reward]!

theseus12
05-19-2014, 11:53 PM
What ARE the requirements to get into the ice castle? I've been trying to get in there with no success whatsoever!

_Ln_
05-20-2014, 08:39 AM
The best reward for the ice queen is a low-DL (thus, not very powerful monsters) greater vault.

There may be a level requirement to get there, level 15 seems to be a reasonable guess and I believe mentioned somewhere by TB.

divij
05-20-2014, 10:40 AM
ohh well update on my character....everything was going well..except i didnt get mystic socr nor did i save kelly. but i got a bit cocky since i was crowned with kinslayer. was at dh1 read scroll of monster detection...hillgiant tension room acid vortex chasing me so i lure it to the room invis and then kaboom it kills 1/2 the ppl.
then i have a brainfart and decide to berserk a highly experienced frost giant while encumbered and hence no deulist class powers. sadly he drops me dwn below 0 hp in 1 fell swoop starting from around 300 hp. THE END

daft inquisitor
05-20-2014, 11:42 PM

Blink Dogs are always Lawful. It's a chaotic action to kill them, no matter what your alignment. I lost a LOOOT of piety by accidentally switching gods after a spree of trying to get TP Control. Dropped from L to NL a lot quicker than I expected...

YourMum
05-21-2014, 12:04 AM
By neutral read non-hostile,as in they don't care about you, not Neutral as in N=

it's a chaotic act to attack non-hostiles, thats why your alignment changed. this is less likely if you are Neutral or Chaotic as the dogs are more likely to be hostile.