PDA

View Full Version : Crowned at N- and NC?

asdu
05-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Is the information on the wiki and guidebook obsolete? I had a character who got crowned at N-. Then in my next game I decided to go out of my way to show Ayssia that I wasn't really fit to become her champion yet, so I went to the arena and murdered a couple of ratling traders in cold blood which dropped me to NC. Still crowned :confused: What gives?

SirTheta
05-23-2014, 12:50 AM
If you're sure you weren't N=, then it is probably a bug.

asdu
05-23-2014, 01:13 AM
Yes, I'm positive I was not N= before the crowning, although the prayer that resulted in my crowning also moved my alignment to N= both times (are prayers suppoed to affect alignment?). This happened on p20 btw.

Soirana
05-23-2014, 02:19 AM
Yes, I'm positive I was not N= before the crowning, although the prayer that resulted in my crowning also moved my alignment to N= both times (are prayers suppoed to affect alignment?). This happened on p20 btw.

Sometimes there is issues with game not showing correct allignment - most often if you are N-/NC something and sac pile of money on neutral altar. After crowning it is showed correctly since getting blessed status forces redraw of char stats.

Safest way is just before precrown hit Ctrl+r to force screen redraw.

_Ln_
05-23-2014, 09:23 AM
It is also possible to distinguish between what you will get according to the message generated:
"You feel extremely close to <deity>" - precrown
"You feel absolutely close to <deity>" - crown

Maul
05-23-2014, 11:49 AM
It is also possible to distinguish between what you will get according to the message generated:
"You feel extremely close to <deity>" - precrown
"You feel absolutely close to <deity>" - crown

Unless, as happened with my recent winner, the messages bug out at "very close" and displays that forever - still happens at p20, can't say anything about later versions.

anon123
05-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Relevant discussion: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1353

Someone should file another bug report for this, preferably with a savegame to make the fault easier to find. To get crowned with that pr3 character, I sacrificed monsters for an hour of real-world time and never got farther than "very close", before remembering about this.

asdu
05-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Sometimes there is issues with game not showing correct allignment - most often if you are N-/NC something and sac pile of money on neutral altar. After crowning it is showed correctly since getting blessed status forces redraw of char stats.

Safest way is just before precrown hit Ctrl+r to force screen redraw.

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip.
I wonder, tho, how to efficiently achieve a precrowning? If sacrificing brings my alignment closer to N= (or C- or L+), how can I change to a non-extreme alignment while still retaining enough piety for the precrowning? I tried this stuff in another game: sac'd enough gold at the dwarftown altar to get to "absolutely close" and attained N= in the process (starting from N-), then ran to the arena, killed a ratling trader (which brought me back to N-) and prayed. The result: my cursed bracers got uncursed :/ My assumption is that the time it took me to go up a few floors was enough to make my piety drop below the requirement for (pre-)crowning. I also assume that if I went back to sacrificing to regain that little bit of piety, the very act of sacrificing would have also brought my alignment back to N=. Am I misunderstanding how piety/alignment/sacrificing works?

SirTheta
05-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Lure a dwarven guardian or dwarf [not dwarven child] up/down stairs and kick (or attack) it. Fast, easy alignment drop at DT.

Easiest way to precrown is L - sacrificing won't take you to L+.

Tyrnyx
05-23-2014, 09:57 PM
As a person who almost exclusively plays Neutral characters I've had this happen before.

If you slaughtered the ratlings and then sacced a pile of gold and then instantly prayed then your alignment shifted before the game displayed the change in your alignment display. One way to check if this will happen is to sac the pile of gold/stuff, then walk around for a bit. If you remain N- or N+ after a bunch of steps then your precrown ready. If you moved to N= then you'll be crowned. Or Ctrl-r as mentioned earlier.

If you moved to N= and you would prefer to be precrowned then go back and kill another ratling. then pray. walking that distance will not put you out of having enough piety to get your item (at least not in my experience).

Edit: as to your experience with having your cursed bracers uncursed. That occurs because in the order of precedence precrowning comes at the very last after uncursing an item. You can't be hurt, hungry, doomed, sick, etc, or be wearing any cursed items. Otherwise your strategy for precrowning would have worked. Crowning on the other hand comes much higher in the list (not exactly sure where). Lesson: uncurse your items before precrowning :)

The message, as mentioned earlier, will also tip you off. If it says absolutely then your going to be crowned no matter what the alignment indicator says at the bottom.

Honestly though, unless playing a farmer, thief or bard, I would say just crown. Precrowning is often wasteful, time consuming and not profitable. Often - sometimes you get something great - but the risk to reward ratio is not worth it in my opinion (I'm lazy and prefer faster games). You might feel differently.

divij
05-24-2014, 07:40 PM
this exact same thing has happened to me atleast 3 times...i was n- or n+ but not n= and got crowned.
i didnt know abt the screeen refresh option now i do!
but i usually avoid this hassle and just look at the message...absolutely close vs extremely close.
as an aside...i have won this game (ordinary ending) atleast 10 times...played 100s of characters and NEVER e1 once did i get precrowned!!!!!
am i missing something here or what?!?!
also i have never atempted the minitor maze cause the discussion on several adom threads put me off..
is it statistically better or worse doing these 2 things given the obvious premise that u have to win..cause i feel no matter how much u buff the rewards of the maze it is NEVER worthwhile to do it unnless u have poison hands or mana battery corruption and no socr and are stuck at a lowish level...but e1 then alt q seems like a better option ;)