PDA

View Full Version : Artifact/Crowning question

gr3ybird
05-31-2014, 02:36 AM
I've been trying to get crowned with bracers of war playing a dark elf fighter in p23. I've been crowned 10 times so far in this version, and I have only gotten Grod, Death's Blade, and Long Sting. I understand this probably isn't statistically significant, but the fact that I have never half the possible crowning gifts still kinds of makes me wonder if something is up. Has anyone else playing this class in p23 gotten any of the 3 gifts I haven't been able to generate, or BoW in particular?

melphen
05-31-2014, 09:49 PM
I started a thread asking if I was unlucky or if the game was player-proofed because I saw things like this happening too. I am starting to think the likelyhood of some items or events has been reduced because they were too powerful to happen as often as they did.

The question is, how likely were you to get BoW before this version and how likely are you to get them now?

Another example I have noticed: I haven't rolled the Candle birth sign in this version yet. There are 70 dead characters in the list already... It wasn't common before, but 1 in 70 is certainly worse than the odds before. So, am I unlucky or has the RNG been changed to be a little less kind? There is no good reason to change this, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, and we certainly don't need the RNG to get any worse on us.

Grond
06-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Assuming even odds for each crowning gift, and star sign:
Chance of not getting bracers of war once in 10 crownings: (5/6)^10 = ~16%
Chance of not getting candle star sign once in 70 characters: (11/12)^70 = ~0.23%

Not getting bracers of war that many times isn't terribly remarkable. Not getting candle that many times is. On the other hand, I haven't noticed any difference in the frequency of star signs, so I'd just chalk this up to the RNG hating you personally. Refer to: Greater undead vaults everywhere? (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/12492-Greater-undead-vaults-everywhere)

gr3ybird
06-01-2014, 01:06 AM
And (1/2) ^ 10 = < 1%. I said I hadn't gotten *three* of the possible six in 10 crownings. Still, I know there probably hasn't been any change in artifact distribution, I was just hoping someone could put my mind at ease by reporting that they had gotten the bracers.

Candle PC's seem to be about as frequent for me in p23 as other releases, btw.

Grond
06-01-2014, 02:20 AM
I don't like playing fighters. But just for you ;)

EDIT: okay okay, it's not bracers, but it isn't one of the three you have been getting.

SinsI
06-02-2014, 01:21 AM
And (1/2) ^ 10 = < 1%. I said I hadn't gotten *three* of the possible six in 10 crownings. Still, I know there probably hasn't been any change in artifact distribution, I was just hoping someone could put my mind at ease by reporting that they had gotten the bracers.

Candle PC's seem to be about as frequent for me in p23 as other releases, btw.

You have to multiply it by 6*5*4/(3*2*1) = 20 to get the chance of not getting an arbitrary 3 out of possible six, since there are 20 different ways to select those 3 possible gifts.
So in total that's 20/1024 = 2%.