PDA

View Full Version : Rings and Gauntlets - a dilemma

Paul 1602
06-10-2014, 04:53 PM
So, I just wanted to ask you guys something that has been bothering me a lot - are rings worn under or above gauntlets in ADOM?

There are possible explanations for both, but they kinda conflict, so I wanted to hear your opinion.
Mist elves get damage from wearing two iron rings - but not if they have gauntlets, which would lead to the conclusion that rings are worn above them.
BUT - rings can't be destroyed when artifact gauntlets are worn, which would imply that they are worn under these (undistructible) artifacts.

So, what do you think? Do the magical properties of artifacts protect rings? Do gauntlets have little pouches were rings are stored? Or am I just overly critical about something that nobody bothers to think about?

Joe
06-10-2014, 04:59 PM
I've always thought they were under the gauntlets since you can't put them on/off if your gauntlets are cursed while one can remove gauntlets while wearing cursed rings.

JellySlayer
06-10-2014, 05:08 PM
I think the mist elf thing is probably a bug...

Paul 1602
06-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Well, I wouldn't call it a bug, just not very well thought-out xD

BlitzerkidSix
06-10-2014, 05:24 PM
I imagine Mist Elves to have the thinnest fingers, and the most incentive for squeezing a glove under a ring. Okay, I'm grasping at straws here.

_Ln_
06-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Personally I think that getting damage even from two rings is absurd. Presumably you can tough out constant skin burning from one ring, but two are beyond your pain threshold?

kevintrimble
06-10-2014, 07:04 PM
I always assumed that it mattered if you put rings or gauntlets on first. If you put on rings then gauntlets the rings would be on your skin. If you put on gauntlets then rings the rings will be on your gauntlets. And if eithier your rings or gauntlets are cursed you cant change anything under them. Same thing with girdles and body armor.

SirTheta
06-10-2014, 07:05 PM
You can't put rings on with gauntlets already on, soo....

paivi
06-11-2014, 09:08 AM
From the current behaviour it could be assumed that gloves and gauntlets come in two layers, the lining and the external fabric. Those living in colder climates (and historical longsword fencers with metal gauntlets) might be familiar with the concept.

Perhaps mist elves wear rings under the external glove but over the insulating fabric to keep them safe but farther from the skin?