PDA

View Full Version : Dick Pound, my best character ever, was killed by death rays...

AssDriller
07-06-2014, 09:35 AM
After wasting the last week of my time playing, I really don't know how I am going to go back to ADOM. I was pretty certain I would be posting this in YAVP, but here I am in VASD once again. I stopped playing for about a year after losing a really good character due to an absolutely retarded mistake (you can read about that one here: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/12697-Lvl-20-Orc-Barbarian-killed-by-a-water-snake). I reluctantly came back to it after finding out about the public release of v1.2.0, fiddled around with the new classes for a bit (had a lvl 21 Mist Elf Weaponsmith aptly named "Cunt" who was frozen to death at the ice castle - idk how to even explain that one), and then went for an orcish beastfighter by the name of Dick Pound (I seem to do best with orcs). This character was a huge accomplishment for me because it was the first time I ever passed the ToEF. I ended up getting much father than I thought I would, getting through a huge majority of the game and surpassing the four elemental guardians. There was not a doubt in my mind that Dick Pound would beat the game; this dude was a motherfucking TANK! He had no problem with the cat lord (fuck cats), the four elemental guardians, or Srraxxarrakex, and was able to cut ancient dragons, wyrms, titans, and greater elementals without even a scratch. He was even able to take down greater molochs with his bare fruckin hands! I had found two rings of djinni summoning (wished for scrolls of corruption removal both times), crowned champion of balance, had the cloak of oman, bracers of war, and ironfist, something like 25 other artifacts generated, grand mastery unarmed combat, elemental immunities, speed over 150, ~900 health, a ton of DV and PV (I don't remember the numbers at all but trust me, they were HUGE!) and stats in the 30s, 40s, and 50s (other than CH, AP, and PE). Had ~11 corruptions with 6 corruption removal scrolls and a few potions left, so I didn't have much to worry about as far as corruption went. His ONLY issue was that he had teleportisis (sp?), and somehow I was unable to manage to get teleport control, so I was dependent on a ring and amulet of teleport control. Not a huge issue, but I had planned to remove it to put on my amulet of death ray resistance before fighting Dude at the Mana Temple since teleporting is halted anyways. I had on the ancient mummy wrapping, but I guess it wasn't quite enough. Oh yeah, I also carelessly stumbled over a bunch of traps (mana battery corruption zapped my wands of trap detection - another stupid mistake) while blinded from a flash and I didn't immediately realize that I got hit by several death rays. By the time I noticed, I was -40HP. I have never been so miserable in my entire life. I have been playing ADOM on and off for almost 8 years and I FINALLY got close to getting an ending, but another horrendously retarded mistake ruined me. I suck so much at ADOM, everyone else has like 20+ wins and several ultra endings with handicapped race/class combos while I'm sitting here struggling an ordinary victory on an easy combo :( how the heck do you guys do it? I guess I just got too cocky and reckless again. Or maybe I am just significantly retarded. :(

TL;DR my best character ever cut down by death rays #fuck #yolo #iamfuckingretarded

P.S. final score was 1476312 and game time was ~262 days. Not sure if that's even good considering where I was at; knowing my luck, it's probably laughable at best.

P.P.S. forgot to mention that I also turned down sex with a girl the other night so just I can play this character (100% srs) LOL am I retarded or what?

boat
07-06-2014, 04:32 PM
First off, that sucks to hear about your character. That guy has caused the most amount of late game deaths for me. 2 sources of death ray resist should have been enough. With a light source, and popping a tonne of heals, you could have made it! When you get that far down, it's a tough loss but you will have other powerful characters again.

Don't get too discouraged from playing, take a break for a bit and you will be addicted to play again maybe come back for the next release.

It's frustrating to see how well lots of other people are doing but I think they play super careful and are more patient, unlike us running through traps (etc). But I am speaking for you on that, I could be wrong.

You are a funny person, I liked reading your yasd. My fiancé hates when I play adom, and it's cost me a few nights in the doghouse. :)

AssDriller
07-07-2014, 02:20 AM
First off, that sucks to hear about your character. That guy has caused the most amount of late game deaths for me. 2 sources of death ray resist should have been enough. With a light source, and popping a tonne of heals, you could have made it! When you get that far down, it's a tough loss but you will have other powerful characters again.

Don't get too discouraged from playing, take a break for a bit and you will be addicted to play again maybe come back for the next release.

It's frustrating to see how well lots of other people are doing but I think they play super careful and are more patient, unlike us running through traps (etc). But I am speaking for you on that, I could be wrong.

You are a funny person, I liked reading your yasd. My fiancé hates when I play adom, and it's cost me a few nights in the doghouse. :)

Thanks mang, I appreciate the support. Yeah I agree that patience is key. I was really patient with this character up to that point, but I got too retarded and decided to plow through all of the traps in the Mana Temple instead of feeling things out beforehand. Didn't expect boss guy to be in the corridor, thought he would still be in the center area. Only had one death ray resistant thing on at the moment when it happened. I had an amulet of death ray resistance in my sack, but I forgot to put it on like a retard. I seriously just expected to waltz on in there and take him out with no problem. Should have made sure I was fully prepared and took the traps one by one no matter how long it took. Lesson learned: NEVER rush through anything in ADOM.

The urge to play is already starting to set in, so maybe I'll get another character going soon enough. I've got a couple of weeks of free time left before my schedule becomes too busy to play, and I had about 30-40 hours invested in that guy, so I can probably get another character in before I am forced to stop playing. I can't just play ADOM casually, lol. If I make a character, then I HAVE to spend every waking hour of my life playing it. ADOM can be better than sex at times, so I can see why your wife must hate it.

GordonOverkill
07-07-2014, 05:02 AM
Oh, bad luck! But also congratulations on getting that far! Don't let this death discourage you. Getting to the Mana temple for the first time is a whole lot harder than getting there a second time. Since you are already so close to victory, it's just a matter of time untill you score your first win. And well, I also lost two almost sure winners to Nuurag Vaarn lately, but at least now I know his behaviour and I think that won't happen again.

Just by the way, you very likely got teleportitis by wearing the Cloak of Oman. You can always unequip it in moments where you don't want to teleport at all, but since the Mana temple prohibits teleportation, there was actually no need to wear an amulet of teleport control down there.

AssDriller
07-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Oh, bad luck! But also congratulations on getting that far! Don't let this death discourage you. Getting to the Mana temple for the first time is a whole lot harder than getting there a second time. Since you are already so close to victory, it's just a matter of time untill you score your first win. And well, I also lost two almost sure winners to Nuurag Vaarn lately, but at least now I know his behaviour and I think that won't happen again.

Just by the way, you very likely got teleportitis by wearing the Cloak of Oman. You can always unequip it in moments where you don't want to teleport at all, but since the Mana temple prohibits teleportation, there was actually no need to wear an amulet of teleport control down there.

Thanks mang. It was so surreal being in the late game. Never thought I would get there, only heard things about it from the forum. I think I'll get back to playing soon enough, definitely should before my schedule becomes too busy. It was a huge jump going from my last best character being lvl 21 and pre-ToEF to lvl 43, so I should be happy with the progress.

And actually I had intrinsic teleportisis as well, so that's pretty much why I wore the cloak of oman nonstop. But yeah you are absolutely right about not needing the amulet of teleport control in the temple, and that was a retarded mistake that I made. I had an amulet of death ray resistance that probably would have saved my life, but I just forgot to put it on.

Booster
07-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Yes, I too have felt the icy blast of death from Nuurag with a very promising archmage ME wizard (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/13235-Extremely-promising-character-stupid-mistakes-finally-got-the-better-of-him). Bastard cast darkness on me and foolishly trying to run away he blasted me with a single shot. Although I don't recall turning down sex for that character I was playing until 2:00 that morning.

I came back with another ME Wizard and annihilated him and went on to win (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/13287-Mist-Elf-Wizard-UCG-Archmage) - the original character was also virtually invincible and I got cocky.

My latest time fighting I pool sipped for -Deth specifically for him and wore another source. I also cleared the traps with wands and fireballed those damn magedoom eyes through the wall to preserve my PP. Learn from your previous mistake and you will persevere next time.