PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from a crash in R50

de_baser
08-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Hello guys!
Longtime player, first time poster on here. Used to be around on rec.games.rougelike.adom way back though, and revived my interest with the resurrection.

I just had a pretty annoying YASD go down to a crash. Had a dark elven wizard who had just completed all the initial quests, ready to hit the pyramid and CoC with two precrownings: Nature's Friend and Far Slayer. Had drank from a fountain and heard "Iceberg", went to the high mountain village, alignment C, talked to Hawkslayer (I KNOW I SHOULDN'T HAVE!) and the game crashed.

This is in version R50 w/NotEye. Does R50 even do backup saves? Is there a way to make it start doing them? I have not restarted ADOM since the crash, is there a way to restore anything here?

Also, i gather the authorities are aware of the crash - or are you? I seem to recall this was a notorious reason for crashing back in the day.

Al-Khwarizmi
08-18-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't remember this crash being reported in the bug tracker. I think you should report it.

About restoring the game, I know the ADOM team were working on a modification so that the last save game would be available after crashing, but I don't remember (or know) if it's implemented for r50 or not (I haven't had much time lately and didn't play the latest prereleases, sorry). I hope someone else can provide assistance.

mjkittredge
08-18-2014, 12:53 PM
I wonder if it is repeatable, ie anyone doing what you did in the same version would get the same result? I remember him just saying "Buzz off!" if you're chaotic.

jt
08-18-2014, 07:00 PM
You should check the ADOM save game directory for a file called "<character name>.bak". If it is there, just rename it back to "<character name>.svg".