PDA

View Full Version : Possible new item for jade

pblack
07-08-2009, 10:39 PM
I had an idea that might be interesting to have in JADE since i don't think there's anything like it in any other roguelike.

First i thought about an "amulet of reviving" wich would serve to create a neromantic ally without the use of necromancy (kida like a wand of necromancy or something like that). Another funny aspect of this would be that a PC that dies wearing one of those might imediately come back as an undead... wich would open up millions of possibilities for quests and such (kinda like becoming a vampire in elder scrolls... it's a different game all together).

Another idea that popped into my head was that of generating "past adventurer's" remains in the dungeons. Something you see in every RPG but is inexistent in ADOM. But the thing is, those remains might be dead PC's. And if they are, there is the question of their equipment. Perhabs it would be unfair to get a fighter to lvl 40 for him to die a stupid death in d: 15 and then the next pc finds heaps of gold and free equipment that early in the game. It also takes away the randomness that is expected of roguelikes. Therefore, if this would to be implemented, perhabs it should be with DL-pertinent loot.

Also, the "amulet of reviving" could be useful to all classes to revive those dead pc's and make them slaves, just for a taste of finishing the game with that PC that was so promising.

RndmNumGenerator
07-08-2009, 11:39 PM
I think the only undead that are not mindless killers are Liches. Being undead would be like being an insect then. The amulet of revival could turn them into a Lich I guess, but the process of becomming a Lich is usually considered a long, dangerous process - a mere amulet would be unlikely to cause that to happen.

As far as the adventurer's remains, that was already discussed in another thread.

Sradac
07-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Phylactery!

Eh..while I think the undead are super cool and it would be awesome to be a lich, It really has to be done RIGHT. all the *bands out there have different undead you can play as, but it has no real effect on gameplay, the villagers dont run from skeletal knights, or even seem to notice.

Its got to be done right or not at all.

pblack
07-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Phylactery!

Eh..while I think the undead are super cool and it would be awesome to be a lich, It really has to be done RIGHT. all the *bands out there have different undead you can play as, but it has no real effect on gameplay, the villagers dont run from skeletal knights, or even seem to notice.

Its got to be done right or not at all.

Agreed. Absolutely agreed.

It should be harsh. There might be some undead-only quests, but any regular folk should either run from you or try to kill you.

Also, besides liches, vampires are sentient, but then to become a vampire isn't the same as to become regular undead. Whatever... it should be well executed, that's for sure.

RndmNumGenerator
07-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Also, besides liches, vampires are sentient, but then to become a vampire isn't the same as to become regular undead. Whatever... it should be well executed, that's for sure.

Oh yah, I forgot vampires. I don't really consider them undead, at least not in the same way skeletons, zombies or liches are. Still, since there is no real noticeable night/day effect in ADOM, it might be better to let vampires remain monster-only.

Andy Williams
07-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Still, since there is no real noticeable night/day effect in ADOM

Vision range in wilderness squares?

Sradac
07-12-2009, 12:15 AM
PP increase when the moon is out too, right?