PDA

View Full Version : Do you dislike challenge games?

adom-admin
11-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Just wondering... I would have expected more activity similar to the YASD / YAVP threads. No interest in challenge games? Aren't they challenging? Aren't they interesting? Personally I like them quite a bit but maybe my tastes vary from the rest of the world ;-)

Mobius
11-01-2014, 09:52 PM
I think there is a lull in traffic currently. I'm just going to have to challenge those other <censored> <censored> <censored> to beat my current awesome score of

1727 from last week's challenge. Ugh.

This week, wow, the stairway damage one? I keep getting unlucky and finding the stairs, even in the dark!

Al-Khwarizmi
11-02-2014, 10:55 PM
I think there will be more activity when we can actually see the global scoreboard with what other people has done.

The idea itself of the challenge games is great IMO!

PS: also note that the challenge games are only available for crowdfunders at the moment, while reporting YAVP or YASD is open to anyone.

Zeno
11-03-2014, 08:48 AM
I do play the COTW, I think it is very nice in concept, but I never got anything really exciting (never found anything special, like an artifact, a mini-boss, a vault, a shop, a hive, or a cavern level; quite early boring deaths that I do not see how could be avoided). Maybe it could be improved somehow?...

Blasphemous
11-03-2014, 09:30 AM
ID challenges have never been particularly interesting to me but the general idea of challenge of the week is interesting.
I will certainly follow what it has to offer, hopefully something more in the open instead of being confined to a single dungeon.

_Ln_
11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
I've started a game just to see what it is about, made it to about level 5 and died because of 0 PV. Elven monks (who can't get true-berserk bonus) don't offer much in what you can do.

There was a shop on level 3 or so where the only thing I could afford was a pile of rocks.

Personally I would very much like challenges where you start with some specific equipment and have to leave the place as fast as possible. ID-diving with just nothing except random drops and supposedly increased vault generation is just meh.

Al-Khwarizmi
11-03-2014, 08:41 PM
This version of the ID with dungeon features is nice. But I think the challenges would be more interesting if all players of the week got the same dungeon, as in Spelunky. I know ADOM's RNG doesn't work that way, but maybe something could be done specifically for this mode - using a separate RNG for level generation as opposed to combat rolls, etc.?

JellySlayer
11-03-2014, 10:03 PM
This week's (the Dwarf Ranger) was the first I had time to do. I thought the mechanic that pulls you to the stairs was a nice way of doing the Ironman thing, but otherwise didn't really get far enough to see anything really surprising. I like challenge games in general, and we've had some good ID challenges on the forums before, so I'll probably keep following this as much as I can. I think having the leaderboard will help. A lot of people don't bother posting YASDs unless they're particularly spectacular.

If I can put you on the spot, TB, maybe you can post a few of your YASDs and we can play "try to beat the Dev team"? :)

mimhoff
11-05-2014, 12:04 PM
What happened to the ranger who is killed by stairs? Now I'm a hurthling chaos knight with 72 hours left to play.

Mobius
11-14-2014, 03:59 PM
The Stair thing can be BRUTAL.

I was just playing the current Drakeling Mindcrafter. Saw the stairs, and decided to see if I could wander around a little before going down.

I went from full health (21) to dead (-3) in one step! That is insane.

BenMathiesen
01-26-2015, 07:55 PM
I've tried it a few times, but haven't managed a memorable run yet. Two weeks ago the game crashed when I took off my armor. Last week I died of hunger! :-(

I think they make a nice change, and I'm interested in seeing the global high scores.

moozooh
02-15-2015, 11:48 PM
I think this is a brilliant idea, as it keeps me returning to the game at least once a week. Considering the enormous difficulty level I'd even consider making them daily rather than weekly—I've yet to dive past dungeon level 10 on any of them even on subsequent tries. The stair-pulling one is particularly brutal; a few adjacent stair rooms (I once spent three levels in a row without killing anything), and you're pretty much guaranteed to be way too underleveled to feasibly survive unless a miracle happens. One advice I can give to others is to explore dark rooms by hugging walls: stairs never spawn immediately next to walls. Blinding oneself or continually casting darkness will similarly prevent stair detection until you stumble right upon them, but obviously it will also prevent being safe. Stairs also have a tendency to spawn at the periphery of the map rather than in the middle, so always explore the middle and the corridors first.

zliplus
12-09-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm basically completely new to challenge games, and one issue I have is I don't understand what the rules are. The scenario rules are listed (class, race, specials, etc) but it starts in a special version of the infinite dungeon? What are the special rules?

nghiale95
01-20-2016, 09:09 AM
No no, I liked it was on the other

Darothane
02-09-2016, 09:57 PM
I like the challenge modes to be honest, i've only attempted one of them but then my Adom skills aren't really conducive to taking on challenges, i'll still attempt them though for the lulz

Mr.PelicanPants
02-09-2016, 11:57 PM
have played some of these as well, but like others say, i get hungry or die too fast before i can get anywhere. if the challenge has increased hunger, i pretty much know i'll die of starvation in a few levels and it kills the interest a little (likewise with forced stairs, i know i'll probably die to a strong monster in a couple levels). once leaderboard support goes up for this and can see how other people are faring, there will be huge increase in interest/participation!

the only time i had anything that couldve been promising was a wizard that found summon monsters, but i died right after i got it! oops... :>

shockeroo
02-10-2016, 08:06 PM
I agree daily would be way better than weekly.

I usually get a good few levels in before dying. I find the dungeons a bit bland (are vaults the only special feature?), the item drop rates very low, and the monster DL scales too fast for me to get very far. Also so many characters with slow HP regeneration is very frustrating.

Personally I'd rather play a splashier game with lots of item drops, pools, statues and some other things.

pjsb1
02-11-2016, 12:02 AM
It would be interesting if the ID for the challenge game of the week was treated like the UD and had extra dungeon features.

shockeroo
02-13-2016, 06:26 AM
Variable dungeons would be great actually! 'Pools and forges will be generated this game.' 'Altars will be generated this game.'

I definitely wouldn't want altars all the time, or even that often, lest it turn into a piety grindfest.

Harkila
08-02-2016, 09:11 PM
I just tried my first one. Got to I:37, too bad I picked up dooming somewhere around I:15 by bumping into a karmic lizard. That made the rest of the game a living hell :(

One interesting caveat I noticed was that the first shop I found was a normal one, and once I killed the shopkeeper, all following shops were without prices! I could just walk past the shopkeeper, pick up everything and have 0 debts. They also never seemed to restock.

pjsb1
08-03-2016, 02:47 AM
Also, once it isn't always gray elves it will be much more entertaining.

Blasphemous
08-03-2016, 08:45 AM
There's one thing about these challenges - has anybody ever encountered a vault in one of the games that is supposed to generate many vaults?
Because I never did. I mean, ID by default does not generate vaults, altars, pools, shops etc., so I'm curious if this special case of challenge of the week is any different.
Supposedly there should be vaults when the challenge description says so but in practice... nope.
Maybe I simply haven't played sufficient number of games, I dunno.

Harkila
08-03-2016, 09:36 AM
I saw only shops, maybe 4 or 5 of them. No forges, pools, vaults, altars...

I think that the challenge games should have predefined a couple of these which are generated in that game. Or, have them all generated, but with heavily skewed probabilities from game to game.

If the games are about to be all in the ID, it's going to need some heavy variance. The challenge was fun, but the replayability is rather low.

JagaJazzist
11-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Dont like dive into ID,too boring for me,challenge is a simple and not surprise me,Normal game shine far brighter and have a lot of mindfood,IMHO.

ianmckinley4
12-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Personally I an not a big fan of challenge games. Everybody's different :)

Mobius
12-11-2017, 12:13 AM
Ha, leading both of the weeks that Challenge games have been live (-;

Wolfechu
04-15-2018, 10:46 PM
Despite how long I've been playing, I think I still find the regular game enough of a challenge without dipping into actual challenges. Maybe once I've actually won once... ;)

FritzCouch
09-03-2018, 10:40 PM
I didn't like the challenge games at first, but they've grown on me.