PDA

View Full Version : Need help

divij
11-17-2014, 05:08 AM
i am playing a drak duelist on ver 1.2.0 (dont ask why) and everything is going well..he is crowned and even postcrowned (only my 2nd ever and my 1st non-fluke) but now i am unable to go above very close in piety. i have sacced 40000 gold and nothing...not even favors me. is this a bug and if not what am i supposed to do?

divij
11-17-2014, 08:47 AM
crazy game this!! i am still at very close zzzz. also i have been aged as a drakeling to 123 years (from poolsipping) and am not dead yet!! i did drink 3 blessed potions of longevity but still...123years?

yhal003
11-17-2014, 09:08 AM
I've never done any postcrownings, but from my experience second precrowning takes A LOT more piety. And this difference will be mostly in getting from *very close* to *favors you*, other transitions are relatively quick. And to make matters even more frustrating there is a bug that prevents you from ever getting past *very close*. You can still get a gift but there will be no indication as to when... I think it happens if you change alignments in between precrowns. And of course you have to satisfy level requirements - 8 + 3*number of artifacts.

divij
11-17-2014, 10:27 AM
i dont care abt post- crowning..i think they are a terrible waste of time and mental stamina (in this game i got wyrmlance, a 2 handed-weapon for my duelist). i just want to b at a high standing with my deity. also ironically, i died to a wyrm...not the 1 you are thinking...a great red wyrm. got cocky since i had 350+hp...he decided to fight to the deatrh in a blind rage the moment his hp went blow 1/2 and killed me from near full hp. also on his last turn, he got blinded so mayb if i had a bit more hp i cudve lived...neawys twas fun. i have won multiple times with duelists tho i can never write it w/o using autocorrect :confused:

Blasphemous
11-17-2014, 10:46 AM
It's a display bug. It will keep saying that you are only very close but in fact you are more than that.
I've had characters that have been crowned at "very close", which supports the theory it's just a display bug.
The only sure way to find out if you're eligible for another post-crown is to pray.
You lose a *very* small amount of piety if "your prayer remains unheard" so there is no problem with that.
Of course, I'm assuming that you have counted exactly the amount of artifacts generated versus character level as that is the only limiting factor here.

Dlightfull
11-17-2014, 11:35 AM
i dont care abt post- crowning..i think they are a terrible waste of time and mental stamina (in this game i got wyrmlance, a 2 handed-weapon for my duelist). i just want to b at a high standing with my deity. also ironically, i died to a wyrm...not the 1 you are thinking...a great red wyrm. got cocky since i had 350+hp...he decided to fight to the deatrh in a blind rage the moment his hp went blow 1/2 and killed me from near full hp. also on his last turn, he got blinded so mayb if i had a bit more hp i cudve lived...neawys twas fun. i have won multiple times with duelists tho i can never write it w/o using autocorrect :confused:

The second pre/post crowned takes a lot more piety than the first one, so you should sacrifice some more in order to be eligible. With enough patience it will come.

The only sure way to find out if you're eligible for another post-crown is to pray.
You lose a *very* small amount of piety if "your prayer remains unheard" so there is no problem with that.

Actually, for pre/postcrownings it always says the correct amount. The bug is that it won't tell you when you are eligible to crowning only, since you need less piety for crowning than for a second precrowning. If you are already crowned though, then you could get the postcrown only when absolutely close again.

Blasphemous
11-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Actually, for pre/postcrownings it always says the correct amount. The bug is that it won't tell you when you are eligible to crowning only, since you need less piety for crowning than for a second precrowning. If you are already crowned though, then you could get the postcrown only when absolutely close again.

You are probably right, it's just that for every 100 games where I have a pre-crown, there is one where I'm going for post-crown, it's that rare.
Post-crowns pretty much only happen for N= characters and I barely ever play those. Otherwise, getting L+ early enough to still have a shot at post-crown is both inconvenient and difficult because of frequent need to swap alignment.
Much easier to get pre-crowned, which I do in every game and then crown once you have some items that grant elemental immunities, in order to direct the deity to give you the one immunity that you don't have for crowning proper.
At that point I'm usually just a couple hundred turns before the ToEF and no longer need to switch alignments.

plllizzz9
11-18-2014, 12:12 AM
It's actually easier to get post- than pre- crowned. Precrown's cannot be of extreme alignment, while postcrowns allow that, the only disadvantage is that you need be three levels higher than otherwise you'd have to be to be legible for a precrown [since you already generated at least one artifact] - but I personally prefers post-crowns, since I get to care less for my aligment shifts and I get to end it faster [which is a boon for me, since I generally said both practices with a passion, I'd prefer more surges instead]

Blasphemous
11-18-2014, 09:19 AM
I disagree. Pre-crowns are absolutely trivial. The artifact count is easy to maintain and non-extreme alignment is easy to achieve.
You have to factor crowning into the effort needed for post crowning. Crowning means you had to have extreme alignment and then binds your hands if you decide the character is suitable for an ultra.
Post crowning means you made the decision to not do ultra very early on, where you can hardly assess how the later game develops.
With pre-crowning, you can do it as L/N/C char and then crown with an entirely different alignment at any point later in the game, depending on what is most suitable to you.
For crown + post-crown, you need to satisfy the artifact limit and at the same time gather enough piety for both, which is harder.

Getting crowned first would greatly complicate things and probably force me to skip pyramid in some circumstances (occasional artifact in HMV or bandit town shops; random artifact drop in PC or UD vaults).
I usually pre-crown as L around level 12-13, typically after I generated torc but before SI.
Somewhere after that period, I will decide if switching alignments is feasible, while doing the dwarven quests, to match the rewards with needs.
Either I'll take the balance rewards from mystic (95% of cases) or the lawful reward in form of the axe, if Thrundarr produced the shield.
Once that is done and a blink dog corpse is obtained, I switch permanently to L.
After this, I completely forget about alignment and only decide to crown once it naturally reaches extreme state through normal gameplay.
Usually this happens after clearing the ToEF and getting lawful boosts for all the demons and wyrm, or after clearing a GUV, which is also a huge lawful boost (all this around PC lvl ~25).
That way I never have to consciously pursue extreme alignment, it comes on it's own. 99% of my characters are crowned L+ though.

For N= chars, early crown + post-crown might be more alluring but not necessarily easier, especially for N= paladins hoping to get Justifier early on, since you have to be selective in live sacrifices.
With L chars, you can sac anything that moves, save for a very rare non-hostile blink dog, since lawful monsters are so extremely rare.
Takes much less real world time when you don't have to slay coaligned monsters and instead sac them all.
If the level is cavernous, you can even go for a second precrown, hardly something doable in reasonable time for N chars.

plllizzz9
11-19-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm all fine with that - because in my playstyle doing an ultra is planned in advance, normally I don't bother [it's scored worse (yes, still) + it requires aligment juggling, which I consider quite incoherent and unfitting for many characters. why would a future Avatar of Order kill a farmer for some old, chaotic witch?]. thus, the aligment freedom of precrowning doesn't generally drag me in at all - while the ease of crowning, then precrowning right after and getting on with my life is delightful - especially since said crowning will deal with issues of hunger clock caused by wearing more than one artifact.

as I see, it's both a matter of playstyle and what we both mean as 'easier'. Precrowning for sure is more effecient, but except the lawful one, it generally requires handling more variables. As I play almost uniquely humans at the time, it's just not as fun and simple for me to precrown, so I crown/postcrown instead, then never do it again - since once again, that mechanic is pretty boorish. I really wish we had some guaranteed/high chances of surges in the random dungeons instead.

AlterAsc
11-19-2014, 01:12 PM
why would a future Avatar of Order kill a farmer for some old, chaotic witch?

Well, alternative is to invent another way to successfully enter chaos gate without using chaos trinity. And time is running out.

Closer to topic: precrowns are also safer as you don't need to take care about alignment when perfroming lawful or chaotic acts. Although now i don't precrown as i either feel like cheating (preserver/executor - how easier can it get? And how dumb am i if i die?) or like wasting my time (why, thank you so much for this artifact, i might as well throw it in the dump).