PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Knights - interesting, yet...

plllizzz9
11-22-2014, 12:03 AM
I'm making this topic after already grasping my first victory with said class and a couple of longer/shorter [mis]adventures with a batch of other ones. Mostly to say that, in current form, Chaos Knights are pretty... unfun. I know their content restrictions [for chaotics] can be taken as a challenge game, but I find the games fairly uniteresting when I get the choice

'forsake class features, recieve content'
'forsake content, recieve class powers'

really, if not for the newly added random dungeons, the mid game of Knights would be as/more dead than in 'good' old times. and what the class offers itself, well, I can't say it makes up for it - the starting equipment is good, but not stellar, the class powers are probably the best part, but gated by aligment [fair, reminds of paladins], crowing gifts are a mix of meh, troublesome and great, but the biggest problem at the moment would be a very bare skill list, with horrible growths, that makes mid game even more tedious.

Or maybe I'm just being silly? Yet, for some reason even playing with a farmer/merchant/thief proven more fun and rich in options.

Not Mindcrafters tho. They suck and I hate them way more.

is anyone else feeling like this is the case? and do you have any suggestions to make it better?

My first one would be giving the Chaos questgivers - diplomat, demented ratling, Graab, etc. - give additional quest options and skill learing possibilities for faithful chaos knights. Alternative ways to open the jarl caves [saw that in a different topic and thought it'd be excellent] and the druid dungeon [maybe Graab mentioning Keethrax, letting us visit him and take a quest from him. Maybe killing Guth'Alak could kill two birds with one stone?]

Arbot
11-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Just a quick thought Farmer/Merchant/Thief are all way more fun than Chaos Knight, they make up for less than ideal combat stats with utility and alternate ways to become powerful. Chaos Knights are the opposite, all combat and very little utility even less than say a fighter.

Edit my only ultra was with a merchant because of how powerful they can be if you are willing to take advantage of and get lucky with randomly generated shops and i'm about to get a normal victory with a weaponsmith because of how powerful smithing is

Blasphemous
11-22-2014, 09:37 AM
I think chaos knights are still a sort of work in progress.
Look at chaos itself - it's a semi-sentient entity bound on influencing every aspect of Ancardian life - corrupting traps, monsters, quests, areas, artifacts, food etc.
What is missing here is some more tangible communication between chaos knights - arguably purely chaotic beings - and the chaos itself.
There should be class-specific quests for CKs to make up for quests they can't receive without alignment swap.
They offer a different mechanic of play on the technical side but they don't offer any unique mechanic story-wise, which is I dare saying, just as important.
Perhaps the ending could count but let's be honest - it's the final part of the game and relatively very short compared to the rest.
It's the journey that counts, not the destination - CK playstyle fails to grasp this idea.
With quests only obtainable by CKs, in the crucial points of the game where it becomes tedious/boring, we could have a truly fleshed out class that is very unique.
Otherwise, some content is cut but very little is added in its place.
I hope that this is indeed work in progress and will become better in the future, otherwise I can't really see myself playing CK in any foreseeable future.

divij
11-23-2014, 06:55 AM
i think the CKs are very interesting if you have played other R/C combos and want something different...they are like mindcrafters in that sense! also CKs are the only class i have won with also being a mist elf cause you dont have to worry abt traps and mist elf intrinsic damage reduction and mithril eq that CKs get, make them overpowered in melee! i have won 5 times as a MECK, 3 times as a non-chaotic!

AlterAsc
11-24-2014, 07:57 AM
I'm in the process on doing true (as in never change from C-) OCG as CK and i'm loving it. Provides quite different experience from normal games. No DT quest (so no guaranteed fireproof blanket or RoT and no elemental gauntlets), having to kill EG, or make copies every time you want to enter lower CoC, almost no corruption removal guaranteed, so you mostly hope for the best.
But your crowning gifts are awesome (aside from death blade, but that's another reason to kill andy for giving you such nonsense), your class powers make you a monster in melee and you can don't need to worry about your alignment.

SiTLar
11-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Why do you have to kill the EG? I don't see a way of not getting to ToHK, and it's one of the most fun places in the game

AlterAsc
11-24-2014, 10:36 AM
It's not a problem of getting RoTHK, it's about EG not accepting it (according to wiki, i didn't check it myself) if you are chaotic CK. So, you either lure him of the stairs and tp, or kill him.

Al-Khwarizmi
11-24-2014, 11:26 AM
I basically agree with the OP and with Blasphemous. The fact that CK's play very different from any other class is great. The fact that they have extra challenges is great. But the problem is that most of that difference and that challenge comes from removing content, without adding anything in its place, so the midgame for a CK looks like they have nothing to do most of the time but wandering aimlessly killing things. I hope some content (maybe for CK's in particular, or maybe just for chaotics in general, but accessible to CK's) is added in the future.