PDA

View Full Version : No More Unarmed Bonuses :(

grayswandir
11-27-2014, 06:29 AM
First off, maybe everybody already knew this, but when switching to a weapon, monks lose their DV bonus from unarmed combat. I did not know this, as I was under the impression from the wiki, and other players, that monks received their unarmed bonuses regardless of whether or not they were wielding a weapon. Is this a bug, or is it not? If it is not a bug, which I doubt it is, would someone explain to me why this is? For me, at least, that DV bonus was the only thing keeping me from playing a beastfighter, which has better class powers as a whole, better damage, and minimal differences elsewhere.

EDIT: Ah, what the heck was I thinking?? Must be the late time. My apologies, my sleep-deprived brain couldn't tell the difference between weapon bonus DV and the monk's DV. Again, sorry for taking up space.

divij
11-27-2014, 06:43 AM
i think this was always the case tho i mayb wrong....i think the reason you play monk is that you get minor penalties for using weapons as opposed to crushing penalties as a beastfighter...also you can kick walls, write scrolls w/o mana loss, read books, etc. for no major drawback whatsoever...all you need to do is get past the early game phase where monks can true berserk and you are fine!

plllizzz9
11-27-2014, 12:03 PM
better damage

while they have better boni, Beastfighter damage dice cap out lower than monks and they don't get native Find Weakness, so their output in late game isn't that amazing imho. also, more spellcasting opportunity and free writing are nice. also, I'd put the 'stronger class powers' bit on Monk aswell, due to the even higher movement speed and earlier swapping. Instakills are fun against opponents you usually can't do nothing agaisnt - I still remember my winner monk oneshotting a greater moloch, it was great. Though Ill admit, critical stuns from beastfighters would be more useful if not the said lack of FW.

they have definitely better crown gifts though

AlterAsc
11-27-2014, 12:17 PM
DE master race solves lack of Alertness and FW for beastfighters.
Btw where from comes this idea of monks having penalties when using weapons? Any source?

plllizzz9
11-27-2014, 12:26 PM
>any elves
>'master race'

wannabe humans who need their fifty times longer lifespans to even reach the same competency level 1. hmph.