PDA

View Full Version : Starting with a Spellbook of Acid Ball

grayswandir
12-02-2014, 04:05 AM
What the hell? I didn't even know this was possible. Rolled a Mist Elf Wizard, and BAM, spellbook of Acid Ball. This saves me some frustration. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Carter
12-02-2014, 04:43 AM
you can start with any book, up to and including the spellbook of wish.

Blasphemous
12-02-2014, 08:18 AM
On priests and druids, spellbooks of ball spells are next to impossible to start with or randomly obtain later but for a wizard there is no such restriction.
I frequently start with lightning ball or fireball, especially recently when I'm rolling many wizards for a special purpose game I'm planning.

littlebrather
12-04-2014, 04:46 AM
On the other hand Ball spells are next to most useless to start with. Low PP and Wi makes them even worse than Burning hands, while relatively low lvl and Le do not allow character to obtain full amount of castings from one book. The only way to makes them useful is to sell AFAP, while Black Market is usually tough to Elves (and other magical races).

Blasphemous
12-04-2014, 08:59 AM
For a wizard, they might be useless around levels 1-6. Then ball spells start to become increasingly useful since the pp cost is not prohibitive anymore.
Also, as a wizard, I never ever bookcast, unless it's a wish spellbook.

LexyBoy
12-04-2014, 11:07 AM
As a mist elf he'd probably be able to cast it from very early on. I played a ME wiz recently who started with Death Ray and Teleportation, and read both with no problems for >400 spell knowledge at level 1.

Also, burning hands is extremely powerful!

Toffeeviola
12-04-2014, 05:24 PM
On the other hand Ball spells are next to most useless to start with. Low PP and Wi makes them even worse than Burning hands, while relatively low lvl and Le do not allow character to obtain full amount of castings from one book. The only way to makes them useful is to sell AFAP, while Black Market is usually tough to Elves (and other magical races).

What's wrong with Burning Hands? It's super-reliable, and a delight for pure casters.

I only wish there was an equivalent for all the elements.

Dlightfull
12-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Confirming that Burning Hands is actually ridiculously powerful.

It's actually one of my favourites, i killed lots of lich kings and some lich emperors with it (they tend to engage in melee if you get close, so having lots of DV helps).

Blasphemous
12-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Yeah burning hands has the nice feature that you can cast it while in coward mode and it NEVER misses.
Rehetep goes in 1-2 castings, other undead and frost creatures much the same.
Burning hands is probably in top 5 offensive spells at the stage of the game when it's usually obtained.

divij
12-05-2014, 10:36 AM
woah..i was gonna comment on how burning hands is op but a million other people beat me to it!

Burning hands is probably in top 5 offensive spells at the stage of the game when it's usually obtained i cant think of ne offensive spell better than burning hands in the early game...ball spells are too expensive and difficult to learn...bolt spells can miss and slightly more expensive too, burning hands is simple to learn giving you ginormous castings and easy to cast...even if we include all spells in the game i think i value burning hands over all spells but acid ball, tp, slow monster and invis...mayb magic missile is situationally helpful too

moonshine
12-07-2014, 05:19 PM
mayb magic missile is situationally helpful too

Magic missile is very helpful, because it doesn't ever destruct items and no monsters have immunity to it. It can be shrugged, of course, but if it hits, it does damage.

melphen
12-07-2014, 07:41 PM
I started a character once with 2 spells books of wish. I believe it was a human mage and many releases ago. You might think that would be a good thing, but as it turns out it was a very bad thing. I would much rather start with spells useful to a new character instead of a soft caster with nothing he can use to beat the baddys back.

divij
12-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I started a character once with 2 spells books of wish. I believe it was a human mage and many releases ago. You might think that would be a good thing, but as it turns out it was a very bad thing. I would much rather start with spells useful to a new character instead of a soft caster with nothing he can use to beat the baddys back.

whats the problem? just read the spellbook of wish and wish for rocks and throw them on said baddies..from a distance...1 at a time...throw... mayb even boomerangs! they return if your dex is high enuf and also sell well! you are welcome.

Dlightfull
12-08-2014, 02:13 PM
whats the problem? just read the spellbook of wish and wish for rocks and throw them on said baddies..from a distance...1 at a time...throw... mayb even boomerangs! they return if your dex is high enuf and also sell well! you are welcome.

the problem is at this point in the game i doubt it he would've been able to learn the spell and even if he would've learned, by some miracle, he would've not have enough PP and HP to cast it anyway

Moeba
12-08-2014, 02:58 PM
the problem is at this point in the game i doubt it he would've been able to learn the spell and even if he would've learned, by some miracle, he would've not have enough PP and HP to cast it anyway

I think it was a joke, not serious :p

anon123
12-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Sell both books to Barnabas for a hefty sum of early gold, then go to the ID and berserk-throw it at your enemies until you have offensive spells and a decent assortment of armor :D