PDA

View Full Version : Worst thing you've intentionally used a wish for?

Arbot
12-12-2014, 12:44 AM
I used a wish (from a pool) earlier for a climbing set, I was stuck in one of the new random dungeons surrounded by mountains after a black dragon melted my climbing set.

Carter
12-12-2014, 01:31 AM
I used a wish (from a pool) earlier for a climbing set, I was stuck in one of the new random dungeons surrounded by mountains after a black dragon melted my climbing set.

depends what context.. i've used alot on potions of water with an archmage :)

i also had to use a wish on a climbing set when i was in the library lost the climbing set and the trader got killed before i was able to buy one off him.

gut
12-12-2014, 01:31 AM
When I first started playing adom, I believed the fortune cookies... I wished for 'mana'.
Worse, I saw my mana stat increase by 2 and was like "Wow! A few more wishes and I'll have some great stats!" and just kept sipping.

cataplexy
12-12-2014, 03:45 AM
Probably "scrolls of danger" :( ID just refused to throw me a bone...

gr3ybird
12-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Why do fortune cookies, etc, give the message "you should wish for wishes" or something like that. It's not fair to trick players who don't know any better.

AlterAsc
12-12-2014, 07:26 AM
My UNE ranger had to wish for phase dagger (to kill EM) and for ammy of free action.
And a bit later in the same game i was very close to wishing for tinderbox.

The Real J.
12-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Perhaps not so bad, but my current (gate closed, now rising stats) char used a wish on spellbooks of magic missile (or in this case minor punishment) as he was running low on castings and was having trouble finding them (even though he was finding a lot of spellbooks thanks to treasure hunter).

anon123
12-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Why do fortune cookies, etc, give the message "you should wish for wishes" or something like that. It's not fair to trick players who don't know any better.

Maybe not all rumors are true... ;)

plllizzz9
12-12-2014, 02:14 PM
i also had to use a wish on a climbing set when i was in the library lost the climbing set and the trader got killed before i was able to buy one off him.

guilty of same, to boot i had to grind that wish out in the tothk

also, potions of water. no, not as an archmage attempt nor wish engine. just potions of water. I was really low on those...

psy_wombats
12-12-2014, 06:44 PM
My UNE ranger had to wish for phase dagger (to kill EM) and for ammy of free action.
And a bit later in the same game i was very close to wishing for tinderbox.

For future reference, you can wish for an everburning torch. I definitely have wished for one of those to get a particularly poorly equipped character through the mana temple.

SiTLar
12-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Once I've ran out of farmers on Terinyo. I've wished for a farmer and he didn't leave a corpse.

Blasphemous
12-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Usually the first quest I always get is the last to finish - tiny girl and cute dog.
I can't be bothered with rescuing the puppy in time so instead I skip the quest entirely and once the gate is closed, I almost always have a spare wish that I don't need.
I will wish for a cute dog before leaving Drakalor Chain. Quite intentional and quite useless.

On a more serious note, I remember not having neither a fireproof blanket, nor ring of ice for the tower once.
After I reached the top, all my wands of digging burned but I've found a RoDS that turned out to be blessed already.
I wished for wands of digging, got two and both promptly burned before I completed the tunnel.

gym21
12-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Wands of ice

Al-Khwarizmi
12-12-2014, 09:12 PM
I do the cute dog thing too. In my last game, one wish was for the dog, and another wish was for spellbooks of Knowledge of the Ancients for the maze. Quite underwhelming item in general, but very good for that particular purpose.

plllizzz9
12-12-2014, 10:50 PM
The wish for a cute dog never counted for me completing the quest for some reason :c

What am I doing wrong?

Blasphemous
12-12-2014, 11:59 PM
All I usually do is wish for cute dog while standing next to the tiny girl. 5 tiles away works too, or even being on the other side of the town.
I always get the same result - the dog follows me but the moment he gets tiny girl in his LoS, he "happily jumps" toward her and after I talk to her, she gives me my well deserved candy and the quest disappears from the list.

plllizzz9
12-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Oh, I mean, I did get that result, but I didn't have the high-score entry tied to it.

Sami
12-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Fire worm. And of course that wish did not even give me a red worm (instead I got something like dire wolf).
So then I had to use another wish on a red worm to really get what I wanted...

This wish was needed because I was doing a challenge of finishing the game at level 1 and needed to fill D:48 with some fire immune creatures to avoid any monsters getting killed when I put in the fire orb.

Al-Khwarizmi
12-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Oh, I mean, I did get that result, but I didn't have the high-score entry tied to it.
"He brought back joy into the life of a tiny girl"? I got it in my last game.

Maybe you first told the tiny girl about the puppy's death (or gave her the corpse) and then you took her the wished-for puppy? You insensitive clod!

Al-Khwarizmi
12-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Fire worm. And of course that wish did not even give me a red worm (instead I got something like dire wolf).
So then I had to use another wish on a red worm to really get what I wanted...

This wish was needed because I was doing a challenge of finishing the game at level 1 and needed to fill D:48 with some fire immune creatures to avoid any monsters getting killed when I put in the fire orb.
Wow, that's a nice one. Only surpassed by the wish for more snakes.

plllizzz9
12-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Nah, did that once, but not with the other two times. Guess it just bugs out for me or there's some hidden variable.

sylph
12-16-2014, 06:29 PM
I wished for 'torches' and 'potions of water' with the same character, on the same dungeon level (D:50), and it got me my first ultra ending. :)

plllizzz9
12-16-2014, 06:31 PM
New one: scroll of vermin control. Character found a cursed WoWi [5 charges] in ancient dungeon [fell from a purple worm]. Had to use it on a scroll since liches ina GUV summoned brown worms and gray oozes and they basically overtook the level while I was busy with the undead.

character still died cause of me forgetting to recast SoA. I miss that wand already.

divij
12-17-2014, 10:17 AM
i use wishes for cute dog all the time....however even i dont get the log in my achievements that i brought joy to the life of a tiny girl or whatever it is! though she does give me candy! also i have wished for potions of water because the rng just refused to give me any water and i dont want to scum in the big room! other than that the only 'wasted' wish i can remember is wishing for potions of deafness for the banshee because i didnt find a lvl with bees only to find one on the lvl abv the banshee lvl.

Al-Khwarizmi
12-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Scrolls of vermin control is the typical item that is useless in most games, but in some games it's REALLY useful, as in, life-saving.

Getting bees in the CoC before the banshee is guaranteed.

The thing with the tiny girl is strange, I wonder why I do get the achievement and other people don't... it must be something that we do differently.

divij
12-17-2014, 01:40 PM
i donno....by the time i feel i can safely poolsip which is typically after i have been crowned, i can take on any multiplying vermins.....scrolls of vermin control could be useful if you are relatively early in the game and tried to heal w/o having healing and are now faced with hordes of vermin on a CoC lvl which you cant bypass, and are ready to face getting cursed/doomed w/o having means to remove it! and even in that case if you are a spell caster you can wish for offensive spells and if you are a melle hero you can wish for eternium weapons! if you are stuck with vermins on the bunny lvl well....that is a screwup on the part of the person playing the game..ignore the poolsipping part if you have RoDS

plllizzz9
12-17-2014, 06:02 PM
it's easy to take on any multiplying vermin f they're all in sight range and you're not busy fighting 8 emperor liches and a couple of lich kings. the worms/jellies basically took their sweet time to swarm the open parts of the vault and for every slain one two-to-four more creatures were generated. it'd be pretty much like trying to extinguish generation in gremlin cave without disarming the water traps - doable, if you have many thousands of turns or you just dip. but dipping meant leaving a large part of the loot.

Kato
12-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Wow...I haven't looked up ADOM in a few years after I finally got my first win. Actually...that was about 4 years ago that I got my first win and I have played this game off and on since 2000. But wait...there is now a graphical version? I will have to do some downloading tonight after work :)

As for my worst wish...I once had to wish for food...I was stuck in the infinity dungeon and working my way back up and I didn't want to lose my character. Oops. ;)

habanero
12-20-2014, 08:21 AM
At one point in time I was trying my darnest to win the game via ultra-ending with a farmer. My Dark elven farmer was level 24 and I had been grinding and scumming everything and some to get an AoLS. After wasting a shit ton of potions of exchange dipping rings, I recalled there being one pool left somewhere. So, after an odyssey of backtracking my trails, I found the pool in some fairly nasty place (can't remember anymore where it was, coud've been the Rift).

Now here comes the good part... After the binge-dipping of the rings, I had somehow gotten obsessed with RoDs. So, I finally got the long overdue wish, feeling exhilarated beyond words. Now, what do I wish for? Ring of djinni summoning of course...

After the incident, frustrated at his f***ed-up excuse for a brain, this particular farmer left the Drakalor chain, and never looked back...

Sami
12-22-2014, 09:16 PM
That must be one of the best brain farts ever.

anon123
12-23-2014, 01:34 AM
The correct choice would have been, of course, asking for wands of wishing :p

ghostjghost
05-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Wished for potions of exchange so I wouldn't have to kill cats in the arena.(my hurthing thief got very lucky with an early RDSM and RoDS)

Al-Khwarizmi
05-17-2016, 09:40 PM
Wished for potions of exchange so I wouldn't have to kill cats in the arena.(my hurthing thief got very lucky with an early RDSM and RoDS)
I'd probably have wished for wands of TP in your shoes. They are also very useful outside the arena.

ghostjghost
05-17-2016, 11:15 PM
true, it simply didn't occur to me at the time.

Assuming of course it even allows you to teleport your opponents out of the arena.

zliplus
05-18-2016, 12:27 AM
It does, and counts as a win in the arena (assuming no other enemies). Worst thing I've wished for were stethoscopes.

Blank4u47
05-18-2016, 01:29 AM
Fun thread! Found a wand of wishing 5 charges above darkforge, wished for whips of the snake, only got 1 which promptly got torched (doh!)

pjsb1
05-18-2016, 04:53 AM
Honestly all of my wishes have been fairly helpful and common. The worst thing I've wished for is probably books of teleportation.