PDA

View Full Version : First win! Mu, the Gnome Monk

gilesc
01-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Woot! Started out in the SMC and UD (found nothing interesting), then went to CoC. In one of the early levels, found a RoDS, which I later used to save Khelevaster. Crowned with boots of the divine messenger (I discovered that, since monks don't really need 7LBs, it was actually very good, although Iron Crown is much better).

After Pyramid and dwarven graveyard, I went to the Frost Giant Jarl Caves. I am always heavily tempted by the greater vault, and have lost many characters there (but sometimes succeed). This time, there was a surge of power AND a greater vault on the same floor. What kind, you ask? GUV, of course. However, I was able to get the surge item, which was... Shezestriakis. Yay... (I found after ending that what was probably in the vault was some combination of True Aim, Shirt of the Saints, Nature's Companion, and Hammerhead).

(As an aside, GUVs are bullshit, and why there would be a GUV inside a giant cave is beyond me. Why isn't that GV set to always be a giant vault? That would be actually doable by the level 20-30 characters who go there.)

Anyway... went further down the CoC, got the cat lord's ring, got Sun's Messenger, Cloak of Oman, and Purifier in a giant greater vault.

By far the most iffy decision I made was to do Mana Temple without any death ray resistance. I recently lost an absolutely ridiculous beastfighter (bracers of war, iron crown, nature's companion, etc) that way. I had another AoLS, which I equipped, but I had left my mummy wrap up in Dwarftown and didn't want to go get it. It worked out, though.

The second self-inflicted problem I encountered was corruption. I had found 10 (!) SoCRs in the early game (6 from Khelevaster and 4 from Dwarven Mystic), and I had some magical writing sets, so as a monk I figured I could always write more. So I proceeded to eat all the Orb Guardian corpses. Every one. Well, by the time I reached D49, I only had 2 SoCRs left. In D50, I got the attached to chaos corruption and had no way to remove it, having "intelligently" left my unused writing sets on D48. It was some time before I figured out why Purifier, which I expected to destroy D50, wasn't doing much. However, it was OK, because I had very good defense and was virtually unhittable, so basically made it through attrition. Oddly, I just closed one lever, then the other, making no effort to keep the balors from re-opening, and closed both having only killed 2 balors.

I was tempted to try that GUV before leaving the chain, but I just made a backup save in case I wanted to try it (or blue dragon caves) later. Then I wrote SoCRs, cleared my corruption, and left, having never visited Terinyo. Feels good, man.

GordonOverkill
01-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Congratulations! I am getting goosebumps just from imagening doing the mana temple without deathray resistance ;-)