PDA

View Full Version : Roguelikes

ElDeR cHaOs GoD
03-28-2008, 12:28 AM
I think I must be in a minority here when I say that ADOM is just about the only roguelike I have ever played (apart perhaps from Toejam and Earl)! I dont even really like the fantasy genre but the depth of ADOM is amazing, the quest system is great fun, there are so many different ways to die and the game doesn't take itself too seriously. I wondered if there were any other good roguelikes that I might enjoy. I had a quick look at Nethack once but got very bored after about 5 minutes.

Travis Prue
03-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Rogue is quite fun, and simple too. *looks over shoulder and mutters something about emus*

Dorten
03-28-2008, 04:07 AM
Dwarf fortress.
Not much to do in the roguelike part of it, though. But still much fun:

The spinning live fly hits the elf swordmaster itn the head. It explodes in gore. elf swordmasters brain is broken

freekE
03-28-2008, 07:55 PM
DoomRL - great simple quick mayhem :)

theotherhiveking
03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
STONE SOUP DUNGEON CRAWL!

Great game!

Macros
03-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Besides Adom, I enjoy playing few other roguelikes:

NetHack - great game. I love NH for its complexity and details(and for interesing gameplay, and many other things). Also one of NetHack's variants catched up my attention - Slash'EM

Dwarf Fortress

DoomRL

UnReal World(this game is great, too bad only that it isn't freeware)

lochok
03-29-2008, 03:14 AM
I second DoomRL - one of the few other roguelikes I actually play (other then occasionally look at)

If you're wanting something different - you can always look at the 7DRL entrants - have a look at http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=7DRL_Contest_2008

Aerudaer
03-29-2008, 03:58 AM
My favorite apart from ADOM is T.O.M.E. It has some quests but is more random than ADOM.

Zargen
03-29-2008, 04:41 AM
I've played a lot of roguelikes. ADOM and DwarfFort are the only ones that I can keep playing without getting incredibly bored.

Nethack and Slash'em - They where awesome for a time. Though eventually I got bored with them. Think its because ADOM offers some form of character customization.

I loathe the lord of the rings roguelike

Mad Minstrel
03-29-2008, 10:41 AM
My roguelike playing time:

ADOM -- 95%
DoomRL -- 4%
Rogue, Angband, Zangband, TOME, Nethack, Crawl, Berserk!, Dwarf Fortress -- 1%

Sradac
03-29-2008, 08:53 PM
My roguelike playing time:

ADOM -- 95%
DoomRL -- 4%
Rogue, Angband, Zangband, TOME, Nethack, Crawl, Berserk!, Dwarf Fortress -- 1%

ADOM -- 80%
DoomRL -- 10%
ToME -- 10% (A zangband spinoff, was a *band varient but now the code has changed so much it is its own roguelike breed with hundreds of modules and variants for it)

IronJelly
03-29-2008, 10:18 PM
I play Stone Soup more than ADOM currently... :( This has to do with the fact that I only recently discovered it, and have played ADOM for quite some time

I would say:

DCSS: 64%
ADOM 32%
DoomRL: 11%
Gearhead: 3%

yes, that is 110%.

Tian
03-29-2008, 11:36 PM
I played only ADOM for quite a while, but a few days ago i got Dwarf Fortress and Liberal Crime Squad, and these 2 are pretty nice! I still need to learn how to play these games, but they look very interesting...

Plausible
03-31-2008, 03:42 PM
the depth of ADOM is amazing, [...] I had a quick look at Nethack once but got very bored after about 5 minutes.

You may like Incursion (http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/). It's still in beta and sometimes a bit buggy, but not much, and it is already incredibly 'deep' and varied and gives me the same feeling of immersion as ADOM (which I completely miss in Nethack or Angband). It implements many thing which are going to feature in JADE as well. Stone Soup is good fun but seems 'light' compared to ADOM and Incursion.

JADE, Incursion and Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode are the next-gen roguelikes I'm keeping an eye on.

And Legerdemain (http://roguelikefiction.com/) seems to have a great unique style; I plan to take some time to explore it soon.

moppit
03-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Adom - 90%

Gearhead - 7%

warprogue - 3% (Not a very good roguelike, but I am a wh40k nut)

dDawn
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Valhala(a.k.a Ragnarok)
i like it cos u can zap urself with wand of transformation and become something different

way cool to be fire giant, and burn everything around, including valueables;)

and besides u kan grow additional fingers and eyes
7-eyed human, it's jast like home:p

Ter13
04-11-2008, 02:29 PM
I really enjoyed Nethack, it was my first roguelike, and led me to ADOM. I had a lot of fun, even when I wasn't trying to win. I made a house inside of a cave once, mined out a section of wall, and stored things in bags on the ground.

I would also beartrap and tin all kinds of monsters, befriend monsters, and such, and try to do crazy things in that game.

ADOM was what forced me to stop playing NetHack. For me, NetHack grew tiresome because of a lack of overworld, and if you didn't buff up fast enough, you couldn't just bail out of the dungeon and go to a different one for a while. I've played ADOM since, which has probably been the last ten years now... I've always gone into binges every year, more recently now, as I've been programming an OORoguelike in recent years. (Of course, MY Roguelike, NeXuS, shouldn't be called a roguelike at all, because I've almost removed every roguelike aspect except the graphics, but even then, I've gone above and beyond the standard graphics engine.).

I was chugging away at my population/lore generation code last week, and went "Hey, I wonder what good ol' TB has been up to this year?" And here I am, three new characters (Still alive), ten new corpses, and I'm playing ADOM again.