PDA

View Full Version : deja-vus and cross-references

Evil Knievel
07-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Some connection or strange hints towards and about afterlife in Jade's game world might not be welcome by the everyone. It could add a whole new dimension to the game, however...

examples
- kinematic foreshadowings: you see some turns where a certain shopkeeper kills you. When you see the shop then, you are warned to not make the shopkeeper hostile. Of course, the game will find an alibi to make him go hostile eventually if you do not heed the warning and stay out of his area for good. Then of course, you are allowed to change the future.
- the kinematic could even be saved on disk and be incorporated in the generation of a future game - suddenly a message might warns you that these tunnels are familiar to you somehow, and then the dangerous situation will be produced by the game - and you might only escape by your knowledge...
- you could also observe yourself killing a real bad-buddy in a certain way (throwing a potion of whatever for instance) and then, when the situation really occurs, said special beast will mostly be immune to other ways of disposing it or at least be very vulnerable to that...
- some special situations in old games could be saved, and you could for some reasons find yourself in them suddenly... for what reason? let your fantasy play: you can read that acid bold spellbook in that old wizard game, and upon returning into your present barbarian body, parts of the knowledge remains..
- a secretely saved game of a promising character could be reloaded by finding an extremly rare crystal ball or something... with the effect of leaving the current game and entering the old one in the moment of death, as if an amulet of live saving has been worn. And only when you die there, your original newer game will continue..
- you suddenly find yourself again in your first character that reached the XYZ (say cat lord level) and has to fight again... maybe if you survive (this time, or once more respectively) you get the XP on your current char, while dying will drain some attributes away or curse you or whatever..
- you are suddenly a long-forgotten long-dead monster and that tries to escape or fight of the char (just for the taste of changing perspective on your deeds...)

Spells, items, deitys, drugs or "holes in subspace" or whatever could trigger such things... giving you the feeling, that all live is interconnected - or whatever strange metaphysics else you want to be implemented.

Epythic
07-19-2009, 02:26 PM
- kinematic foreshadowings: you see some turns where a certain shopkeeper kills you. When you see the shop then, you are warned to not make the shopkeeper hostile. Of course, the game will find an alibi to make him go hostile eventually if you do not heed the warning and stay out of his area for good. Then of course, you are allowed to change the future.
Of course it should be very *hard* to change the future. In other words, you'd know that the game is really actively trying to kill you right now...

- the kinematic could even be saved on disk and be incorporated in the generation of a future game - suddenly a message might warns you that these tunnels are familiar to you somehow, and then the dangerous situation will be produced by the game - and you might only escape by your knowledge...
-1 bad idea. What if I took a year-long ADOM break? Or if a friend plays at my computer or something like that? Interesting but still bad idea.

[QUOTE=Evil Knievel;22739]- some special situations in old games could be saved, and you could for some reasons find yourself in them suddenly... for what reason? let your fantasy play: you can read that acid bold spellbook in that old wizard game, and upon returning into your present barbarian body, parts of the knowledge remains..
Yay.

This is a bit like the old "what if you find out that what you dreamed last night was not actually a dream?" theme :)

- a secretely saved game of a promising character could be reloaded by finding an extremly rare crystal ball or something... with the effect of leaving the current game and entering the old one in the moment of death, as if an amulet of live saving has been worn. And only when you die there, your original newer game will continue..
Savescummer!!

- you suddenly find yourself again in your first character that reached the XYZ (say cat lord level) and has to fight again... maybe if you survive (this time, or once more respectively) you get the XP on your current char, while dying will drain some attributes away or curse you or whatever..
I get the idea. Eh no I don't like these ideas. Chars should be isolated from each other. (this also makes it simpler to put the savegames under version control :))

- you are suddenly a long-forgotten long-dead monster and that tries to escape or fight of the char (just for the taste of changing perspective on your deeds...)
"If theres a chance that you become a monster, shouldnt that make you think about the morals of killing monsters... they dont like - just like you!"
Somehow I doubt "MoralRoguelike" would be a big hit...

Spells, items, deitys, drugs or "holes in subspace" or whatever could trigger such things... giving you the feeling, that all live is interconnected - or whatever strange metaphysics else you want to be implemented.
I think "strange" describes it fairly well.

All in all, timetravel and forecasts and backrefs are fine for me, but I dont want differnet chars to be interconnected.