PDA

View Full Version : i fail at monks

Dlightfull
03-21-2015, 07:35 PM
I hate myself. How the fuck can i be so reckless?

lvl 16 GE Monk, blessed 7LB, precrowned twice: Ironfist+Protector+ Big punch, 47DV when very aggressive, but only about 11 PV. I could outrun pretty much everything. the stairs in DH1 were in next room, those in DH2 not very far so i managed to get to them. After going up once and then down the second time, i have found a red dragon.

I also had a cloak of invisibility and many other things to keep me alive, but i just fucking had to engage that stupid dragon, i dragged him one evel below and started shooting him, i got him to critically injured and let him too close, because i had to avoid other monsters too and of course he kills me in one turn, 6 hits and 4 connected and i died, having only 101 life, or even less, because i had only one instance of fire resistance (and about 3 others in backpack) and he managed to shoot a couple of bolts at me.

Why didn't i run away? why didn't i equip those fucking fire resistances? Why didn't i equip the cloak of invisibility? SO many options and i still killed the char.

How to become more attentive at ADOM?

gym21
03-22-2015, 02:11 AM
Whenever I get Protector I have a 50/50 shot of dying in the next 5 levels or so. It makes me so stupid.

grobblewobble
03-22-2015, 05:05 AM
lvl 16 GE Monk
11 PV
101 life

Try a dwarf monk, skip treasure hunter and buy all the PV talents + ITO. Then you will eat puny red dragons for breakfast at level 16.

Dlightfull
03-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Try a dwarf monk, skip treasure hunter and buy all the PV talents + ITO. Then you will eat puny red dragons for breakfast at level 16.

i like to be able to learn spells too :P.

Also, no way i am giving up on TH, without it the game's a pain, not enough scrolls of ID and uncursing, not enough water.

grobblewobble
03-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Dwarf monks have enough learning to do quite well with spells. (You can always eat the oracle and temporarily equip the crown of science for a boost.) Finding books is the limiting factor there, race not so much. Taking TH is of course still possible, it'll just take a bit longer to reach mithril skin then. Better constitution (and PV) makes monks far easier to play. For me, anyway.

auricbond
03-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Whenever I get Protector I have a 50/50 shot of dying in the next 5 levels or so. It makes me so stupid.

Got it for the first time since the 90's last night. Went down to the bottom of the puppy cave and whacked a gelatinous cube in melee for lord knows what reason, paralyzed, then a black wizard and a summoned horde of trolls got their boot in. Only tickled though, heh heh...