PDA

View Full Version : Just starting ADOM

orbisvicis
04-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Hopefully I haven't created an account here for this single post. The blog comment system doesn't seem to work, either that or I just posted a gazillion replies, in which case I apologize in advance.

I think I'd enjoy ADOM but development is in a state of flux so things are confusing for a newcomer such as myself. I'm looking for something in between the linear gameplay of DCSS and the sandbox nature of Cataclysm: DDA. ADOM looks like a good fit, but before buying in I'd like to evaluate the game. Which version should I play, the original ADOM, or one of the older public prereleases of ADOM II? I'd like to know which is more complete in terms of gameplay, esp. for someone who values magic over melee? If the original is recommended, what is the latest version number, so I know I'm getting the correct download?

Does buying into the prerelease program give access to the finished product, eventually?

What is the difference between the downloads at http://www.ancardia.com/download.html (1.20 prerelease 23, latest public beta) and at http://www.adom.de/adom-ii/downloads/javawebstart/index.php (1.3.2, higher version number).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ADOM is top-down ASCII (uggh) while per the youtube videos ADOM II is isometric (limits FOV) tile-based? I prefer top-down tiles (like DCSS), is this also available?

JellySlayer
04-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Short answer: You should play ADOM 1.2.0 pre23. It is the most up-to-date of the prereleases that is available to the public. It is a complete game, though there is obviously more content and some bugfixes in the more recent prereleases that aren't open to the public. 1.2.0pre23 has tile-based play (or ASCII, if you prefer) and is likely what you have been seeing on YouTube.

ADOM II is a separate game entirely and is unfinished. It has not been updated since the crowdfunding campaign for ADOM I AFAIK. Note that the version number on ADOM II is 0.3.2, not 1.3.2.

Long answer:
A bit of history. ADOM was essentially finished with version 1.1.1 sometime around 2002. At this point, it was a complete game (ASCII), but there were a few persistent, outstanding bugs. Developer Thomas Biskup had some interest in doing more with the game, but he was working on his PhD and other projects and between 2002 and 2012, 1.1.1 was the version that everyone played. In 2012, TB released the first public version of ADOM II (then called JADE), which was (and still is) very much an alpha version. He also launched the crowdfunding campaign aimed at fixing up ADOM I, and adding some new content, including tile-based play, depending on the success of the campaign. The campaign was a success, and ADOM 1.2.0 was released, with subsequent prereleases (now up to r57) adding new content and fixing bugs. During this period, ADOM II was essentially put on hold.

ADOM I features either tiles or ASCII depending on the player's preference. Tiles are available in the latest public prerelease 1.2.0pre23. I think ADOM II is ASCII-only at the moment, and, as I said, is unfinished and is unlikely to be finished or even really playable in the foreseeable future.

orbisvicis
04-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Thank you. I spent some time playing 1.2.0pre23, but I think this game just isn't my cup of tea. Ah well...