PDA

View Full Version : Good start turned into a horrible waste

brim
07-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Had a HElf off to a great start, reached level 22, cleared water temple, saved khelly, satisfied demented ratling, got ring of high kings, but i couldn't find any rings of ice, so my gear was severley limited in the fire tower. my spear melted on the first level, managed to make it to the top, first door i open on top floor is a tension room filled with fire grues and fire elementals, I retreat down the stairs, but a few follow me, corridor on this level is filled with breeding red worms and a fire giant king, i use 2 blessed Ultra Heal pots, finally wand teleport out, escape with my life.... decide to try to find rings of ice in water dragon lair. some UNID'd rings near the dragon, i cast darkness, loot them, accidentally attack dragon, first turn after i leave darkness, theres the dragon and BAM washed away. went from 188 to -310 in one turn. bah!

Jack the Ripper
07-26-2009, 11:46 AM
some UNID'd rings near the dragon, i cast darkness, loot them, accidentally attack dragon, first turn after i leave darkness, theres the dragon and BAM washed away. went from 188 to -310 in one turn. bah!

First thing, Rings of Ice are ALWAYS mithril rings, so you know. Secondly, well, you've just learned the hard way that when WDL-looting you should NEVER walk out of the darkened area. Darken it all, loot it all, drink a potion of invisibility, teleport to stairs,darken the stairs for safety in case you ever want to return, and leave ASAP. I've died once just like you did, and ever since I've used this method. It's as safe as you can be while looting the darn place. I also think that none of the other water critters in there can see in the dark OR see invisible (unless you attack them first).

warheart
07-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, don't know if it has been pure luck, although I doubt it because it has never failed for me, but I find my way of robbing water lair way safer. I just darken the area around momma dragon and try to kill her. If I can get the kill, then it's really nice, lots of easy experience. If she panics, I just light the area again, loot what I want, and leave. She doesn't attack you if you loot something while she is afraid, although she telerports next to you, but keeps running away. Eventually she will get out of the panic state, but it takes quite some time.