PDA

View Full Version : Death ooze...??'

pblack
07-27-2009, 01:33 AM
I was playing a gnomish assassin. got farslayer for precrowning and was walking around strained all the time because i had no safe place to stash my junk and St wouldn'tt go past the maximum of 16. I had greased lightning so my speed was 100-102 even while strained. That was fine.

Got a herb level on D:10 and got morgia/moss of marellion pattern going well. On my way to the animated forest i found a cloak of invisibility. Very very handy.

Decided to go for the dwarven halls. On DH: 1 I got tension rooms message. Was careful. Found a black dragon but remained invisible so that was fine. while opening a door... boom...explosive rune and a tension room with a Lich of some kind (dunno wich, just that i got confused from its blast), and a death ooze. Among other nasties.

Got confused and the death ooze was right next to me. Of course, as luck would have it, i charge at the ooze while confused...??'. With two hits it puts me at 1 HP. I pray and try to get away. I manage to survive the confusion period and start running. Those things are fast with 120 speed. I get out of DH but it follows me. I put on a +3 amulet of speed and my dagger of the eagle. I was strained but i was afraid of dropping items and dying from the next blow. So I continue running and now i'm probably real badly poisoned from all the hits. During the runaway the ooze puts me at 1 HP again. In the end I prayed 6 times. Good thing I had good piety.

In the last room before the stairs I manage to get 1 square away from the ooze and close the door on it. I was so happy that I managed to get away from it that I forgot that i was badly poisoned. The next turn I die from poisoning...??' It's just sadistic.

But I should have been more careful and tried Detect traps on every door on DH..=/
It's always some small thing isn't it? It always pisses me off that 95% of the deaths are avoidable through some unthought channel. I guess I could have fought the ooze in the darkness as well now that i think about it.

JellySlayer
07-27-2009, 04:14 AM
Best thing to do is flash a wand of monster detection if there's a tension room on DH. If you can avoid the room, then it will kill 95% of the monster generation on the level, and make it much, much safer.

pblack
07-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Best thing to do is flash a wand of monster detection if there's a tension room on DH. If you can avoid the room, then it will kill 95% of the monster generation on the level, and make it much, much safer.

Had no such wand... was quite overconfident on account of the luck strike... so yeah... you know how it goes =P. Sure way to lose a good PC: trust him.

Sami
07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
And you can pray to get confusion/poison removed too.

pblack
07-27-2009, 05:38 PM
And you can pray to get confusion/poison removed too.

On the first confusion period I couldn't remove it because my HP wasn't full. On the last poisoned period I just plain forgot it. I trusted my resistance but by that time I was getting 20-30 poison damage every 2 turns. I died right on the next turn after I managed to close the door on the ooze.

vogonpoet
08-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Damnit, I do not understand this death at all. You have a source of invis, you get a tension message in the DH, you don't have a way of checking the room or bypassing it easily, and you don't just back up and head through the forest, which with invisibility, is basically benign but boring.

I mean, I never saw a tension room of rats or kobalds in the DH. I have seen tension rooms of ghost kings, abandoned shops, molochs, black unicorns, etc etc.

pblack
08-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Damnit, I do not understand this death at all. You have a source of invis, you get a tension message in the DH, you don't have a way of checking the room or bypassing it easily, and you don't just back up and head through the forest, which with invisibility, is basically benign but boring.

I mean, I never saw a tension room of rats or kobalds in the DH. I have seen tension rooms of ghost kings, abandoned shops, molochs, black unicorns, etc etc.

It is just that man =P. whenver I have invisibility i much rather do the DH. Or would you prefer doing it w/o invis? =P

I didn't have magic map+ teleportitis at the time and took my chances. I would be fine if I remembered to check for traps, this way the tension room would remain undisturbed and monster generation would be lower.

But DH is ALWAYS a risk, no matter what. Even entering it invisible with magic map an teleport you have the risk of ending up right by the side of a chaos warlord or something else nasty. There's no 100% safe way to do it. I recognize that my way was something like only 50% safe .. lol... but that's DH when you are not paying attention. It was a mistake, yeah. Avoidable for sure. But that's the fun right? If you think of everything all the time you are bound to one of 2 things... a victory, or a sudden unavoidable death by something super nasty... wich is way more frustrating IMO.