PDA

View Full Version : YAVP UNE Drakish barbarian

warheart
07-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Not much to say about the game, just that I learned something: barbarians can't use spells :P
The game was easy, can't remember any close call. Had 4 wishes that I spent in an AoLS, red dragon scale mails for the ToeF, SoCRs in D:50 and a wasted one, concentration. I had high learning (around 30) and a book shop generated a bit above DT, so I decided to try it. When I had literacy 95+, concentration 95+ and learning 30 I tried to read a spellbook of Cure light wounds, and it drained me 1 To. That nice. It would have been much better to wish for find weakness :P
Another curious thing, some turns before killing Andy, I suddenly read: "Happy birthday!". Hehe, had never won on my birthday (not that it did any difference :P).
Here's the flg:

DrakeBarb St:85 Le:34 Wi:35 Dx:38 To:42 Ch:25 Ap:29 Ma:37 Pe:30 N=
DV/PV: 63/54 H:836(1097) P:0(465) Exp: 50/50326542 ChAoS Sp: 108
Blessed Bloated

He: blessed rustproof crown of regeneration [+3, +4] [55s]
Ne: blessed ankh [3s]
Bo: blessed robes of resistance (-4, -4) [+3, +12] {To+5} [60s]
Gi: blessed waterproof girdle of giant strength [+0, +3] {St+12} [30s]
Cl: blessed cloak of defense [+6, +0] [20s]
RH: blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12] {Ma+24}
LH: -
RR: blessed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage) [1s]
LR: uncursed ring of the clear mind [1s]
Br: blessed bracers of defense [+2, +0] [10s]
Ga: blessed gauntlets of strength (-1, +0) [-1, +1] {St+5} [40s]
Bo: blessed waterproof seven league boots [+1, +3] [30s]
MW: -
Mi: -
Tl: blessed everburning torch [+1, +0] [10s]

blessed medium obsidian shield "Protector" [+20, +4] {To+2} [46s]
uncursed dwarven pick axe "Hammerhead" (+2, 2d10+4) [+2, +2] {To+3}[90s]
blessed lead-filled mace "Big Punch" (+1, 8d5+3) [-6, +0] [800s]
blessed mithril long sword of devastation (+0, 5d8+10) [32s]

Maces & flails 11 +10 +7 +4 Mastery 3050
Swords 12 +12 +8 +4 Mastery 4405
Axes 10 +9 +7 +3 excellent 989
Pole arms 10 +10 +6 +12 excellent 1400

Right hand: +209 bonus to hit, 6d12+89 damage

Alertness ................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Athletics ................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Backstabbing .............100 (superb) [+4d4]
Bridge building .......... 23 (mediocre) [+4d5] (mr)
Climbing .................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Concentration ............100 (superb) [+1] //Damn you!
Courage ..................100 (superb) [+1d3]
Detect traps .............100 (superb) [+1d3]
Dodge ....................100 (superb) [+2d4]
First aid ................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Food preservation ........100 (superb) [+1d5]
Gardening ................ 47 (fair) [+2d4]
Haggling ................. 86 (great) [+1d3]
Healing ..................100 (superb) [+1d3]
Herbalism ................100 (superb) [+1d5]
Listening ................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Literacy .................100 (superb) [+1]
Music ....................100 (superb) [+1d3]
Pick pockets ............. 78 (great) [+1]
Smithing ................. 69 (good) [+1d5]
Stealth ..................100 (superb) [+1d5]
Survival .................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Swimming .................100 (superb) [+2d4]
Tactics ..................100 (superb) [+1]
Two weapon combat ........100 (superb) [+1d5]
Woodcraft ................ 95 (superb) [+1d5]

DrakeBarb, the drakish barbarian, transformed into an avatar of Balance.
He scored 23713294 points and advanced to level 50.

He was unnaturally aged by 29 years.
He was the champion of the arena.
He was a member of the thieves guild.
He defeated the arch enemy of a mighty karmic wyrm.
He stopped the generation of nasty bugs.
He saved Khelavaster from certain death.
He ended his adventuring life in the palace of Andor Drakon.
7602 monsters perished under his attacks.
The following 30 artifacts were generated during his adventure:
the si
the scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle"
the golden gladius "Death's Sting"
the Chaos Orb of Elemental Water
the Chaos Orb of Elemental Air
the Chaos Orb of Elemental Fire
the Chaos Orb of Elemental Earth
the lead-filled mace "Big Punch"
the mighty morning star "Grod"
the rune-covered trident
the sword of Nonnak
the elemental gauntlets
the ring of the High Kings
the phial of Caladriel
the crown of science
the ancient mummy wrapping
the ankh
the hammer of the gods
the Crown of Chaos
the Medal of Chaos
the Chaos Orb of Elemental Mana
the black rune-covered dagger "Needle"
the black rune-covered dagger "Sting"
the rune-covered sling "Whirlwind"
the robes of resistance
the medium obsidian shield "Protector"
the dwarven pick axe "Hammerhead"
the black tome of Alsophocus
the Trident of the Red Rooster
the weird tome
He possessed the following intrinsics:
He was fire resistant (gained through an item).
He was poison resistant.
He was cold resistant.
He was acid resistant (enhanced through an item).
He was lucky (enhanced through an item).
Fate smiled upon him (enhanced through an item).
He was able to control teleportation.
He was paralyzation resistant.
He was resistant to death rays (gained through an item).
He was shock resistant (enhanced through an item).
He was able to see invisible things (gained through an item).
He was immune to shock attacks (gained through an item).
He was immune to fire attacks (gained through an item).
He was immune to acidic attacks.
He was immune to ice attacks.
He was able to breathe water (gained through an item).
He was able to resist confusion attacks (gained through an item).

Had much better stats (93 st, 57 to) but andy decided to drain quite a bit of them.

pblack
07-29-2009, 04:48 AM
crap...93 St??? how???? lol

i know it's a barbarian but...93???? Not boosted?

But yeah....drake barbarian... pretty much straight slaying things in one blow.
And winning on your birthday! Cool... I don't think many have done that.

JellySlayer
07-29-2009, 05:13 AM
Ring of weakness is probably the easiest way.

pblack
07-29-2009, 05:38 AM
Ring of weakness is probably the easiest way.

I have NEVER found one of those. They are right up there with whips of the snake on rarity in my book.

Andy Williams
07-29-2009, 06:18 AM
I have NEVER found one of those. They are right up there with whips of the snake on rarity in my book.

I found a Whip of the Snake during my second-to-last game that went west of the river. I won the game with a DERanger that dual-wielded them + one in the tool slot when that still worked. The save game Siwel.svg on the Guidebook page has a DERanger with multiple Whips of the Snake, if you want to play around with that PC - ADOM 1.0.0 though. He's a winner, but obviously not the one I mentioned - his whips skill is at one, IIRC.

brim
07-29-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm not sure that I've ever found a ring of weakness either, but I've found whip of snake 2 or 3 times.

So whats the general practice with rings of weakness? Scum for ogre corpses, drop equip, put on ring, eat corpses? I imagine it would take a lot of patience and a long time to get STR to 93 using that route...

Silfir
07-29-2009, 11:45 AM
The way I did it, way back, was to drop equipment, wear it, and kill hill giants and hill orc sergeants in the wilderness, plus stone giants, eat their corpses, and stomacemptia as needed. It really works with the least amount of hassle if you are capable of killing enemies even with your strength dropped to four (blessed ring), in other words, if you have mad melee skills +/- a humanoid slayer, or lots of arrows and quarrels.

Took ages. Stopped with strength at 84. Rest of the game was kiddy mode, so I died to Nuurag-Vaarn because I forgot about death ray resistance.

Xevoc
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
If you find a ring of weakness, greater giant vaults are your best friends. With food preservation 100 and stomaceptia you'll probably gain about 30-40 strength from the vault.

But the flipside of the coin is - I've had a very nice character killed because I decided to put ring of weakness on to eat an ettin corpse, but forgot to drop my equipment before that. I realized my mistake before I quit the inventory screen and put all +St gear on me, but still died...

Strength of atlas is very nice, though. You will not die under luggage if you forget to drop your inventory before putting on the ring.

warheart
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
If you find a ring of weakness, greater giant vaults are your best friends. With food preservation 100 and stomaceptia you'll probably gain about 30-40 strength from the vault.

That's exactly what happened to me. Found a ring of weakness early, and found a giant greater vault in D:47 (the only greater vault I found, had whirlwind and robes of resistance). I gained around 35 st there. I was using a GoGS (+12 st) and some +5 st gauntlets, so my real st was 76. Drunk 10 or 11 PoGAs too, 7 of them from the black unicorn quest.

And about the rare items, this char had two whips of the snake and an everburning torch :)

pblack
07-29-2009, 06:43 PM
That's just weird. I love whips but I never find the good stuff. The last one I found was a whip of slaughtering on the Darkforge. The only time I played with a WotS was when I wished for one. Awesome assassin weapon in my book.

JellySlayer
07-29-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure that I've ever found a ring of weakness either, but I've found whip of snake 2 or 3 times.

So whats the general practice with rings of weakness? Scum for ogre corpses, drop equip, put on ring, eat corpses? I imagine it would take a lot of patience and a long time to get STR to 93 using that route...

Well, since your strength is <12, just walking around while burdened/strained with the ring on will train your strength slowly over time. Add to that hunting giants or ogre armies (60+ ogres each) in the wilderness with food preservation and it won't take too long to start seeing huge benefits. If you're feeling really scummy, you can pass the strength to another stat with a PoEX and start again...

The other way to easily raise strength is to get the apish corruption and just leave it on for a really long time. It will mess up some other stats, but if you're a barbarian, you don't really care.

Rings of weakness are dangerous for a variety of reasons though. Aside from the obvious luggage problem, kicking walls is usually fatal due to a weird bug. If it's cursed and you have only 1 point of St, then stat drains are also fatal. There's a few other things that can happen that I don't remember off the top of my head.

Jack the Ripper
07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Well, since your strength is <12, just walking around while burdened/strained with the ring on will train your strength slowly over time. Add to that hunting giants or ogre armies (60+ ogres each) in the wilderness with food preservation and it won't take too long to start seeing huge benefits. If you're feeling really scummy, you can pass the strength to another stat with a PoEX and start again...

Or you can do anything that requires lots of turns with the ring on, as long as you're no worse than strained. Reading spellbooks, smithing, mining walls spring to mind. Does the bug affect any of these or is the only problem the kicking of walls?

JellySlayer
07-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Reading, smithing, mining are all okay. Kicking walls is just a problem because you take about 2 million damage when you hurt your leg kicking the wall (not exaggerating).

Grey
08-02-2009, 08:38 AM
My last winner found about 5 whips of the snake, which was quite odd. Couple of whips of slaughtering too. And yet no potion of uselessness... The whips aren't great as weapons though. They're damned coo to dual-wield, but they are one of the most destructible items in the game. It's like wielding two scrolls... Any trap or breath attack will destroy them instantly.

warheart
08-02-2009, 01:16 PM
This char had a whip of slaughtering too, but the only potion of uselesness I got was destroyed before D:49 :P