PDA

View Full Version : Release model

Scienceman123
03-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Thomas, what release model are you going to adopt for JADE? Frequent, minor updates, or rare, sweeping changes? I think the first option would be ideal early on, to be able to catalog as many bugs as possible. Remember Linus' Law!

adom-admin
03-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Thomas, what release model are you going to adopt for JADE? Frequent, minor updates, or rare, sweeping changes? I think the first option would be ideal early on, to be able to catalog as many bugs as possible. Remember Linus' Law!

Very good question... I'm not quite sure actually and open for comments. There are two lines of thought which are influenced by one major technical thingy: As for JADE I'm not going to be overly concerned with save file compatibility (and world file compatibility once worlds can be saved), simply because this requires enormous effort when adding sweeping and fun changes to the game. Thus here are the two lines of thought:

JADE will receive frequent updates. Just as frequently your save files will cease to work and your world files will become useless. This might exert an annoying amount of pressure on players and reduce satisfaction.
JADE will release regular updates with a slow update rate, e.g. once every three or six months. Save files thus have a much longer durability.Option 3 (working continuously on save file and word file compatibility) for me really is not that much of an option since it would use up more time than I have (unless I find that mysterious billionaire willing to finance my life as a full-time ADOM & JADE developer :o).

What do you think about those options above?

theotherhiveking
03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I vote for Obama............

I mean, option 1

yisk
03-30-2008, 02:38 PM
What about the commercial version of JADE? It's unreal yet?

It is possible to make a paid online game server. But I don't guess like what it can be. Ж)

Macros
03-30-2008, 05:04 PM
My vote goes for option 1. If it will make working on JADE easier and less time consuming, IMO you shouldn't care about save file compatibility.

yisk
03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
My vote goes for option 1. If it will make working on JADE easier and less time consuming, IMO you shouldn't care about save file compatibility.+1 Because all save-scummers will finish game very quickly. :D

Tannis
03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Option one all the way. I'm fine ditching a game in progress if there's bugs to be fixed or new features to have fun with. As mentioned, you're going to die often anyway, so losing a save file doesn't really matter.

Pustka
03-30-2008, 06:47 PM
im for option 1 ;>

mike3
03-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Option 1 all the way. I never knew one even tried to use savefiles between versions, I always figured, "new version, time to start a new game". So yeah, more features = more fun.

hrothgar
03-31-2008, 12:54 AM
Option number 1. Thumbs up

Grey
03-31-2008, 02:32 AM
Option 1 is initially better to get to grips with the basic gameplay and weed out the bugs inherent in the code. Transferring save files between versions in not something I care about inbetween any releases to be honest - after all you can just keep the old version installed and start new games on the new version.

Once the game becomes more full-fledged and it's possible to complete without serious bugs then releases should be rarer, with more dramatic and important changes, so that people don't feel the need to keep restarting characters in an ever-changing world.

Epythic
03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Option 1: weekly "devel" builds AND "stable" builds whenever you feel like it

To the players that just means "YASD = Update Time"

It is possible to make a paid online game server. But I don't guess like what it can be. Ж)

Sure, if you sponsor TB to work fulltime on it.

moppit
03-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Option 1:
Much prefer Save File Incompatible to Rock falls on your head... you die. :D

coppro
04-01-2008, 05:10 AM
How about staggered releases with nightly builds?

F50
04-06-2008, 12:15 AM
To the players that just means "YASD = Update Time" Indeed. If a game in progress isn't updated enough, I generally find myself playing the next game on the list.

Option 1: weekly "devel" builds AND "stable" builds whenever you feel like it

Very good idea IMO.

MitchK1989
04-11-2008, 05:22 AM
I say put out new versions as frequently as you want...

Just don't upgrade when you're in the middle of a game. That simple. When you die, then upgrade for the next one! :D

BlU_sKrEEm
04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
I say put out new versions as frequently as you want...

Just don't upgrade when you're in the middle of a game. That simple. When you die, then upgrade for the next one! :D

I'm with MitchK on this one. Option one shouldn't be a problem unless you are updating in the middle of a game.

Epythic
04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm with MitchK on this one. Option one shouldn't be a problem unless you are updating in the middle of a game.

It's yer choice when to update, isnt it?

Manu
04-14-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't really see the problem with option 1. The games will go fast enough anyway, and if i'd be busy with a good character in a particular previous version i'd just keep that one around and update after i'm done playing it.

I must admit that my decision is somewhat influenced by the voice of my inner child, which is shouting: "give it to me now!" a bit, though.