PDA

View Full Version : Beware statues

Anonyone
02-08-2016, 04:23 AM
With a promising dark elven barbarian, already crowned with Vanquisher, I stumbled upon a statue with this message:

You stumble upon a statue. It is made of some unnatural watery substance which streams without losing its form. The statue seems to be vaguely familiar to you. Suddenly you recognize your own eyes, albeit they seem older... different... and very blank. You stare at the eyes, but they never blink. You feel humiliated, as if your shadow stops following you. Except you seem to be the shadow here.

I figured I'd try my luck and kick the statue. After all, my character is strong enough to deal with any possible negative effects, right? At worst, I'll be doomed, or get an undesirable corruption.

I wasn't expecting eighteen corruptions.

You are transformed into a creature of chaos leaving your previous existence behind.

Check the wiki before you mess with statues, they can be game-enders if you're not careful.

pjsb1
02-08-2016, 06:02 AM
Oh, hi there friend, join the club. I already did all I could to get attention on this stupidly strong statue. It might help if you bump the rfe that says to tone down the overpowered statues. Sorry about your character :/

anon123
02-08-2016, 08:50 PM
For the record, the RFE can be found here (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3734) and has my upvote too.

mjkittredge
02-08-2016, 10:20 PM
whoever saw that and let it into the game? Instant death for kicking a statue sounded like a good idea? WTF...

anon123
02-09-2016, 02:41 AM
Statues were added to the game without reviewing them first. I severely doubt TB would allow this instakill otherwise (same goes for the one resembling "a Commodore computer from the 80s", that's a major immersion breaker).

The dooming statue is also too harsh - find it in the early game with a melee PC, and you basically have a delayed game over.

SinsI
02-09-2016, 06:44 AM
Dooming statue is OK - don't forget about Friday 13 "bonus" for starting characters, so it is in line with the more challenging starts.

jt
02-09-2016, 06:46 AM
I've fixed the statue in the first post, there was a bug in the implementation. I hope we can review the more dangerous ones before the next release.

Blasphemous
02-09-2016, 07:12 AM
Dooming statue is OK - don't forget about Friday 13 "bonus" for starting characters, so it is in line with the more challenging starts.

No, dooming statue is not OK.
It's not in line with challenging starts for the sole reason of this not being a start, you can get randomly doomed in the early or mid game at the worst possible moment.
Very not in-line with other things.

Blasphemous
02-09-2016, 07:18 AM

No, dooming statue is not OK.
It's not in line with challenging starts for the sole reason of this not being a start, you can get randomly doomed in the early or mid game at the worst possible moment.
Very not in-line with other things.

SinsI
02-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Statues don't activate if they simply enter into your LOS, you have to deliberately enter their square and/or interact with them. So you can wait till you are reasonably able to deal with it.
The greater problem is that you can't identify statue's effect without being hit by it. Something like http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4220 or ability to test statues with monsters/slaves/ranged attacks/ranged spells is desperately needed.

JellySlayer
02-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Statues don't activate if they simply enter into your LOS, you have to deliberately enter their square and/or interact with them. So you can wait till you are reasonably able to deal with it.
The greater problem is that you can't identify statue's effect without being hit by it. Something like http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4220 or ability to test statues with monsters/slaves/ranged attacks/ranged spells is desperately needed.

While I agree that a method of testing statues would be desirable (beyond just looking it up at the Wiki, which is really the only course of action available at this point), I think that there are a handful of statues that have effects, both positive and negative, that are have effects that are quite disproportionately bad (this one being the worst example, as it appears to be always, or nearly always (?) fatal) or good, in a few cases, and should probably be nerfed.

Blasphemous
02-09-2016, 10:39 PM
I don't mind activation effect via prayer/kick/spell/whatever.
What I mind is a game-breaking step-on effect, like dooming, which is simply wrong, no matter how you look at it.

psy_wombats
02-11-2016, 10:01 PM
Yeah I think this should be a priority to fix -- I hate missing out on all the statue content because I'm too much of a coward to step on them.