PDA

View Full Version : Lord Igel, gnomish wizard - first win

naeffli
02-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Finally, I managed to win for the first time!
Lord Igel, the gnomish wizard, born in the month of the Raven, made me very proud. Started by scouting the SMC, but had to give up before finding the blanket. Instead killed Keethrax and went on to the CoC, quickly reaching Dwarftown and fulfilling the first quest. Bought a nice mace of destruction from Waldenbrook, which he kept as main weapon for the most part of the game. Tried to cross DH, but retreated when a moloch appeared on DH:2, crossed the animated forest instead. Scouted the levels until reaching Khelavaster, did not yet talk to him. Found 7LB, but no means of invisibility or teleportation yet, so the way back through the forest was very tedious. Decided to pay some of the surface locations a visit, since Lord Igel was already at lvl 16, so he went to the pyramid first and cleared the dwarven graveyard afterwards. Tried his luck with the SMC again, this time finding the blanket and downstairs thanks to Magic Map and Wand of item detection. Left trough HMV. Next stop was the tomb of the High Kings, then went to see the Ice Queen. Still didn't have any invisibility, so the Yetis and Berserkers were a bit annoying, but no problem for Lord Igel at this point. The FGJC held a greater giant vault. Lord Igel gained one level for every second titan that he killed and collected some nice eternium ammunition. Found Wyrmlance and the silver key and went to see Blup's Mum next. Quickly checked the loot in Darkforge, which was no problem at all thanks to Lightning Ball, and gained some more levels in there. By the time he got out, he had climbing skill at maximum, so he climbed down the Rift, where a messenger delivered him the trident before he payed the library a visit. While waiting in silence to satisfy the librarian, he read all the books, including wish, to pass turns. He then delivered the weird tome and got his reward of 5 ?oCR. Decided that he should be strong enough for ToEF, so in he went. The Ancient Chaos Wyrm had no chance against Lord Igel's Ice Balls. Back in the CoC, he had enough money to get crowned with the Staff of the Archmagi and =Lightning and quickly finished the rest of Thrundarr's quests, accidentally killing a dwarf while fighting the Greater Demon and thus angering Waldenbrook. Quickly teleported out of DT, never to return. He had found a RoDS somewhere on his adventure, so he saved Khelavaster and was rewarded with another 6 ?oCR, only to have 5 of them destroyed by a lightning vortex on the next level. But he didn't worry too much because he found a wand of wishing with 4 charges and another RoDS soon after. Obtaining the Water Orb was easy at that point and the Wi bonus was very welcome, although it still couldn't raise Wi up to 48, so when he finally reached and cleared the Air Temple (after recieving the Ring of the Master Cat), he decided to eat Yulgash's corpse. Unfortunately, he ate it just before picking up all his stuff again and he didn't really pay attention to the corruptions he got. Of course there had to be Poison Hands AND Mana Battery among them, so in one turn, all his potions and wands turned more or less useless. No way of blessing the remaining ?oCR either, so he had to use 5/6 to get rid of these corruptions again. Almost wanted to give up at that point, but then decided to just go on quickly and try to finish without any more delays. But at least Wi was now up to 48, so Lord Igel used a lot of fireballs to clear the earth temple and Acid Ball along with some crytals of power to kill the Chaos Archmage. Did not bother to clear the whole temple there, just continued on to D:48 where he sadly had to give up the big ballspell range when throwing the Water Orb into its anomaly. The reward for using the potion of uselessness was Skullcrusher, a bit late to train clubs, so he stuck with his mace and relied mainly on his magic and the thrown rune-covered trident to reach the levers, pull and destroy them.
After returning back to the surface he completed the White Unicorn quest, went to the Gremlin Cave just for the fun of it and was denied entrance to the bug temple because the steam version hadn't seen enough heroes die yet. He then left Drakalor Chain and returned home as a great hero.

Maul
02-15-2016, 10:32 PM
You know about the trick to allow yourself access to the bug temple, right? I mean, I'm not sure how the Steam version does it but normally there is an adom.cnt file. You just write a couple characters into it (or a single ASCII character representing a sufficiently large value) and ADOM will consider it large enough to recognize you as eligible for the bug temple.

Anyway, grats to your first win.

naeffli
02-17-2016, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I know about it. I think it should work on steam too, at least it has a adom.cnt file as well. I just hadn't expected to get anywhere close to the bug temple any time soon, so hadn't thought about doing that. And I think I'll hit the 100 deaths soon anyways ; )