PDA

View Full Version : Late-failed ultra (Ratling Weaponsmith)

Maul
02-15-2016, 03:24 PM
My first win in release 60, another ratling gate-closer.

This game was not too hard and I got ridiculously lucky in the blue dragon caves while farming for XP. I got two wands of wishing: one with 4 charges and one with 1 charge! And a RoDS somewhere in an unnamed part of the CoC too... So, 8 wishes in total. I played pretty carelessly in general, accidentally killing a cat just by pressing buttons too fast and a tiger heroically jumping into my way. However, I managed to avoid the most egregious errors possible (e.g. handling the wands with the mana battery). An early precrown in the VD got me Purifier, and I got some good missile weapons and slaying ammo - after that the game was pretty damn easy. The hardest parts were the ACW (but still not too hard, just forced me to use the water orb a few times) and a greater giant vault I fought at around level 25 - the titans were a bit of a pain to kill.

I randomly found Thunderstroke in the deep CoC. Good Sssaass, that thing is ridiculous. It's amazing how the simple "returns" ability catapulted the artifact quarrel from "ratling fodder" to "maybe even as good as Far Slayer itself". It killed everything - even the emperor moloch got heavily damaged on a crit! Its damage was certainly on par with slaying ammo, and allowed me to easily farm ancient blue dragons. I later got True Aim as a uselessness gift. It was actually useful - when killing Riurry with Thunderstroke after closing the gate, once it failed to return, and True Aim allowed me to switch to that and continue shooting instead of having to retrieve Thunderstroke or switch to inferior missiles.:p

I got a pool wish in the early CoC that got me the amulet of life saving, and the wand of wishing was later used to wish for potions of cure corruption for Gaab'baay. I actually found several PoCC but, for some reason, consumed them all by the time it was time to hand the stuff over to the old crone. And I didn't feel like converting to neutral just to get the PoCCs for the chaotic corpses, so... one wish went for that. It was only slightly inefficient though, not a waste. I actually became a bit cocky in the lategame and didn't even bother getting the 3 PoCCs for the corpses I had stocked up, and almost forgot about the SoCR in the HMV as well. Wouldn't have been a big problem to leave it behind anyways.

So, I arrived at D:50, teleported towards the gate, realized I forgot to use my wishes, teleported back to the upstairs, and blew away all but two of my wishes on SoCRs. One was supposed to go for "speed" right before entering the gate, and the blessed RoDS was reserved for "whatever I might need on the ChAoS Plane". (I figured I'd just wish for speed again if nothing else.) Now, it was just time to get corrupted and enter the gate, and...

"Something hisses in anger!"

Crap.

It turns out that I wasn't very high in the N= part of the alignment spectrum. Cautionary tale, everyone: if you are going for an ultra, be careful with the potent combination of the "vomit darkness" and "spawn worms" corruptions! I've been rocking both for a long time (I didn't wish to remove any corruptions, except the utterly terrible ones - when going for a non-lawful ultra, it's best not to use SoCRs before entering the gate unless absolutely necessary, given that you might miss those SoCRs inside and you have to get 18 corruptions anyway), and while they had been annoying I could play just fine with both corruptions. However, on D:50, I managed to bump into a worm in the darkness and pulverized it, bringing me down to N-.

That's a problem, isn't it? I mean, you need to be at N= to be able to enter as a challenger for Avatar of Balance. So, how do we solve this conundrum? Well, there were all the chaos creatures on the level - it was time to hack away at them. I took off the obsidian regalia and began to kill all the chaos servants, mutants, WMoPCs etc., surviving a critical hit from a ghost lord that left me at 53 years of age before I Potion of Youth'd all those extra years away. Unfortunately, it seemed I was too high level to get any serious alignment boosts from that - I remained at N-, and even managed to bump into another worm in all the darkness that covered the level, which probably nixed any hope of returning to N=. The balors went down easily (I one-shot Fistanarius with a blessed demon slaying quarrel!) even they didn't help. Technically, I could perhaps have waited for the remaining chaos wizards to summon more chaos servants, but I figured it wouldn't help - I also considered if the pet red worms or any familiars summoned via SoFS could be healed for alignment boosts, but while I was pretty good with some spells (my spell knowledge blossomed in the midgame, with Teleportation and Magic Missile coming in handy) I simply did not have any serious amounts of charges in healing spells.

Thus, I had to settle for closing the gate and vaporizing all creatures left on the level, crushing some more worms that eventually left me at NC. I resurfaced, killed Riurry, got rid of my corruptions, put on my best +Ap gear (to make a good parting impression for the audience) and bailed out of the Drakalor Chain.

After he leaves the Drakalor Chain he is welcomed by his people with great
honors. They acknowledge his noble deeds, his valor, his cunning and his
great skills that helped to prevent the complete destruction of the world he
knows. He returns to his lands victorious and is hailed as a great leader.
Eventually he becomes king and rules his subjects with an iron fist for a
long and peaceful time, allowing his people to prosper and grow.

Translation: Embittered by the fact that he had godhood at his fingertips but missed his chance due to a stupid worm that crawled out of his body, Ullak seized absolute power in the ratling kingdom and became a cruel dictator. The end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshot
Y

^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^
^^*^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^= ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^..^
^===""""~~~^^^^^^^*^^^&&&&&&&~~~~~~~~~~~~^*^^=== =^^*^^^^^^^^^^^*.@^^
=="""~~~~~~o^^^^^^&&&&&&o&&&&&&&~~~~~~~&&&========="""""""&&^~^^*^.^^
^*^"""""~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&==""""""""""&&~~~^....^
^^"""""~~^^*^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^*^^&&&&&&&&&""""=""""""""""&&&&&o..~^^^
^^^"""~~~^^^^^^^ ^^^*^"""""""""""""""""""=="""""""""&&&&&&&&&&^^^
^^~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^""""""""""""""""""""=""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&~~^^^
^*^~^^^^^~~~^^^^^^^^*^^^^^^^^"""""&&&&"""*&&&&""""=="""""&&&&&&&&&&&&~~*^^^
^^^*^^^^o~~~~~~"o""""^^"""""""""&&&&&&&&&......^^^^=="""""""&&o&&&&~~~~^^^^
^^^^^^^^~~~~"""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&.^^*^^===""""""&&&&&&~~~^^^^
^^ ^^^~~~~~"""""""""""""""&&&&&&&*&*&&&&&&&&&....^^^*==="""&&""&&&~~~~~^
^^^&""""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&*&&&&&&&&&.""""""===="""""~~~~~^^ ^^^
^^^^&&""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&""""""==""====""~~~*^^^ ^*^
^^^*^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^*^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&"""""===""""""""~~~~^^^^ ^~^
^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^^^^^^^^^*^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&""""""=^^"""~^^^^^^ ^o^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^+^^^^^^ ^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ullak St:37 Le:21 Wi:22 Dx:33 To:40 Ch:17 Ap:18 Ma:44 Pe:27 NC
DV/PV:113/55 H:818(818) P:608(608) Exp: 50/21963180 DrCh Sp: 166
Blessed Coward

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background Information

Name: Ullak Race: male Ratling Class: Weaponsmith
Eye color: brown Hair color: brown Complexion: brown
Height: 5'3" Weight: 156 pounds
Star sign: Tree Birthday: 1/Tree (day 331 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
Your mother is a mighty enchantress. She is unmarried. Your father
is living in the vicinity of your mother's tower. He is a humble shepherd.
During your childhood one of your uncles taught you a lot of things
about the history of your people. Your vast knowledge on the legends and
the lore of your people made you very popular with your friends because of
all the exciting stories you knew.
In your youth you became seriously ill and suffered for many years.
When your disease finally was cured you were left weakened, both
physically and spiritually, and bereft of the joys of youth.
As a young adult you spent a lot of time searching for a deeper
meaning and purpose in your life. You pondered and pondered but nothing
truly sparked your interest. Finally, after many many hours, you made a
decision.
You decided to become a Weaponsmith.

Inventory
Total weight: 7309 stones Carrying capacity: 11967 stones

He: uncursed helm of water breathing (+1, +1) [+7, +6] {iron} [30s]
Ne: uncursed pendant of beauty {Ap+6} [3s]
Bo: uncursed fine leather armor (named) (+2, +0) [+2, +8] (+15 spd) [120s]